Your favorite Budget meals

Page 3 / 3
dec1066, Feb 25, 9:24pm
Yeah, I don't usually have much left over either, but still manage to fill a bag every few weeks with carrot tops, broccolli stems, green been ends and such.

danza007, Feb 26, 5:34am
Question - for a baked potato do you really have to put it in tinfoil or can you give that part a miss?

motorbo, Feb 26, 7:57am
oh and if ya into noodles, shop at the asian supermarkets/stores much much cheaper, even at countdown i can get fat asian rice noodles for just over a buck in that section, move to the mainstream section and they ar up to 4 or 5 bucks

jwn1, Feb 27, 9:07am
Ha ha!!! That is so funny, needed a good laugh!Looking at the time of night I wrote it, it must have been past my bedtime, well thats my excuse anyway!

elliehen, Feb 27, 9:45am
My cat wants to come and live at your house ;)

valentino, Feb 28, 12:02am
Hmmm, had a nice little giggle to myself the other night.

I just had a plain old simple fried mince with a little seasoning, a little bit of mixed herbs and a can of those tomato pieces with it's juices and a good dollop of sweet chilli sauce mixed in whilst being served.

That is all I had with some buttered toasts and all was demolished.

I then realised that it has been ages since I did this and I really thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it.

Cost of meal sufficient for 3 to 4 - $6.00 at the very most.

earthangel4, Mar 5, 6:46am
we really enjoy,these type of meals once in a while,yum.

jcprotea, Mar 5, 7:26am
Roast potato, Kumara and pumpkin, can be added to the pumpkin curry I make and also used with fresh green with a dressing for a salad at work. Can also spice that up with cherry tomatoes. I also have a recipe for a nice Pumpkin Pilau.

http://www.sanitarium.co.nz/recipes/chickpea-and-pumpkin-pilau http://www.countdown.co.nz/4605/Countdown-Tip/feed-the-family-under-$13---pumpkin-curry

kinna54, Mar 8, 3:04am
My good ol chicken chow mein is still a good way to make a bit of chicken go a long way, with the addition of noodles and cabbage.(have given this out to so many students over the years, now being on a benefit I'm back to doing all these meals) Bangers and mash are a good filler, as is good ol shepherds pie, or fish pie:- made using just a can of smoked fish, potatoes boiled eggs, must serve with peas though!

kinna54, Mar 8, 3:08am
I also make a lot of bread, and make my own pizza bases. When I bake I make a couple of things at once, i.e things that take the same amount of cooking time, and can fit in the oven together, and I am a great believer in the cook one freeze one concept if I can afford to. Last night I made shepherds pie, had some mince left and a sheet of pastry in the freezer so made mince potato top savouries to freeze for lunches.

prendy1, Mar 8, 8:59am
Our family's favourite: broccoli and pasta. Cook packet pasta like penne or macaroni, when it's got about 5 minutes to go thow in some chopped broccoli. When cooked, drain and stir through a tin of lemon pepper flavoured tuna. The oil in the tuna provides a nice sauce. You can add/substitute any green veges, or add sundried tomatoes, olives, feta etc if you wish.

snookum0_0, Mar 20, 8:29pm
Hi tipsy_bl0nde,
We have 5 children and 2 adults in our house and we mostly do budget cooking A brlliant book by Sophie Gray is "100+ Tasty $10 Meals" heaps of tasty receipes.Heaps of great tips in there too.
We have a large vege garden, finished with this season's veges, but we had about 30kg of potatoes, 200+ of sweetcorn cobs, Long John Beans and pumpkins grown from the seeds.
This weeks Menu consists of Sausages (I buy the Tasty bag of 16 Pak n Save sell them for $8.68), Rice and Frozen Corn, Mousetraps (marmite and cheese on toast with a slice of bacon and tomato, Tin of peaches and Ice cream, Chicken stirfry and those crispy noodles, Potatoes, Mince (a tip from Sophie Gray is say use 500g mince and 1/2 cup red lentils, they break down add more protein to the mince and no-one knows. Salad and individual quiches (cooked in muffin trays), Scones.With the bacon Sophie Gray said you buy Grandpa's or Kiwi (tastier so you don't need as much and I half the packet normally the 500g or 400g that does the mousetraps and quiche.
Hope this helps snookuim0_0

kiwipossum, Apr 23, 4:15am
hehehe you'd need quite a few mice lmao

elliehen, Sep 14, 4:51am
Bumping for the poster wanting ideas for quick and easy.

spritie, Sep 14, 7:07am
2 slices of bread + 1 toaster = 2 slices of Toast.

kob, Sep 14, 7:38pm
I have a large budgeting thread on here called '' who needs to budget me'' and its got hundreds of cheap meals with recipes and costs etc plus lots of tips and tricks that ahve been learnt over a life time of trying diff things, so check it out you may find something there

roys351, Sep 15, 7:11am
i make a white sauce with onions, parsley, garlic add cooked spiral pastaand mixed veg season to taste with chicken stock

motorbo, Oct 3, 9:27pm
last night i had a fried rice dish, i added red onion, garlic, peas and carrots and beans, and i had only 5 prawns left in the freezer.but i also had a wee tub of homemade satay sauce.eating this poured over top of my meal, made it tastier and added the extra protien in a cheap way.i will make this more oftern now its was delish and cheap as

m41, Oct 4, 9:11am
this one a good one for the lazy mama put 2cups of pasta in your crock pot or baking dish pour 2 cups chicken stock place suasages inmixed herbs season S+P1 diced onion and pour over a can of chopped toms cooks so easy !can add frozen veg ie peas carrot etc
serve with salad or veg

vashti, Oct 6, 8:34pm
That is so simple and sounds tasty, I don't know why I haven't thought of it.

elliehen, Oct 6, 11:43pm
Bumping for nigeldanoonga :)

lythande1, Oct 7, 7:14pm
Hmm, we have 150 - 200g per 2 people. Stretched it to 3 on occasion.

Stir fries. fried rice. I have a chook, a part of a leg each yesterday (3 of us), I'll make mushroom and chicken cannelloni today with another part of it (making the pasta), sandwiches Monday and the scraps go into fried rice.

Snitzel - also good for stir fry.
make cornish pasties, plenty of veg, stingy on the meat.
I make a kind of large fancy sausage rool I suppose you'd call it, sausag meat, loads of onion, herbs and in the middle some sauted veg - zucchini, capsicum, whatevers handy (and in season!), make the pasrty fancy on top, criss cross it or something, add some other veg to serve with.Stuff like that.