Does anyone have a tried and true Moussaka Recipe?

Page 2 / 4
cookessentials, Mar 15, 7:27am
Just when we thought it was safe to go back in the water.

cookessentials, Mar 15, 7:47am
A traditional moussaka, in fact has a good 3-4 cloves of crushed garlic in it.

lyl_guy, Mar 15, 8:09am
Yes. depends on who's "tradition" it is.I recently made a GORGEOUS, authentic Moussaka, recipe by Claudia Roden from her book "The book of Jewish Food".
She says. "This is the way it was made by Jews in Egypt.It is less heavy and more fresh-tasting than the usual versions"
It has 4 cloves of Garlic in it, and (like Valentino's recipe, above) cinnamon and allspice.It also says to use minced lamb OR beef.Can't be bothered posting the full recipe right now, sorry!One day when I have more time/ energy, perhaps.

lyl_guy, Mar 15, 7:48pm
x1
OK, I typed it out to save on my computer, so here's the above recipe.Will do the ingredients first.

Moussaka- Claudia Roden(The Book of Jewish Food)

1kg Aubergines, cut in thin slices
Salt
Oil for frying
2 med onions, coarsely chopped
4 cloves Garlic, crushed
1kg minced Lamb or Beef
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp allspice
Pepper
2Tbls Tomato puree
Bunch of flat-leafed parsley, finely chopped
750g tomatoes, thinly sliced
1tsp sugar or more (optional)

lyl_guy, Mar 15, 7:49pm
Method:

Sprinkle aubergine slices with salt & leave for about an hour, rinse and dry on teatowel/ paper towel.Fry in very hot oil briefly, turning over once, so they’re light brown all over and don’t have too much time to absorb oil.Drain on paper towels.(you can brush with oil and grill instead).

Fry onions in 2Tbls of oil till soft and golden, add garlic – fry till aroma rises.
Add the meat, cinnamon, allspice, salt & plenty of pepper.Crush meat with fork, mix well till it changes colour.Add tomato puree, cook about 10mins then stir in parsley.

Assemble in baking dish:
Lay aubergine at the bottom.Cover with layer of tomato slices (if tomatoes aren’t tasty enough, sprinkle with a little sugar).Sprinkle with salt, and spread the minced meat filling on top.Cover with a second layer of aubergine and tomato slices.Bake uncovered for 30-45mins at 180 deg.

PS Claudia adds:“Another favourite is a potato moussaka.Use layers of thinly sliced new potatoes instead of aubergines.It will take longer to cook, 1 ½ hrs or longer.

PPS I put some cheese on top of my moussaka (heaven forbid, I CHANGED a recipe!) and it was absolutely delicious!

sarahb5, Mar 15, 7:58pm
Well it seems "traditional" Greek Moussaka served in traditional Greek tavernas has probably been given the tourist treatment and now does usually have garlic in it.The reality is that moussaka is pretty much the Greek equivalent of a shepherd's pie I think you can put whatever you want in it but clearly we're all going to have different preferences - mine is without potato, hubby's is without eggplant so I make one that's half and half but it always has garlic in it!

sarahb5, Mar 15, 7:59pm
You don't need to do this with "modern" eggplants/aubergines

lyl_guy, Mar 15, 8:06pm
I've heard that too, but never want to risk it, in case I spoil my dish. would save a lot of time though.

lyl_guy, Mar 15, 8:08pm
Yes, like every other recipe in the world, different countries/ cultures have slightly different "authentic" or "traditional" versions of a very similar recipe.No one can claim to have THE authentic recipe for anything, really!

ant_sonja, Mar 16, 12:39am
I posted this one a while ago

Mousakás (Recipe from the cookbook and travel guide ‘Culinaria Greece’ by Könemann)

3 large eggplants
1lb/500gr potatoes
Greek extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1lb/500gr ground lamb or beef
1lb/500gr tomatoes, peeled and diced
1cup/250ml dry white wine
1/4tsp sugar
1/2tsp ground cinnamon
1 bunch flat leaved parsley, finely chopped

For the béchamel sauce:

4tbsp/60gr butter
1/2cup/60gr all purpose flour
3cups/750ml milk
1 egg yolk
1/2tsp sugar
Freshly grated nutmeg
2tsp lemon juice
Breadcrumbs
Grated Graviéra cheese for topping
Salt & freshly ground black pepper

Wash the eggplants. Remove the base of the stalk and cut lengthways into 1cm slices. Place the slices in a bowl, cover with water, sprinkle with salt and leave to draw for 20minutes. Meantime peel the potatoes, cut into similar 1cm slices and add salt. Drain the eggplants and pat dry. Heat the olive oil in a pan and brown the eggplants on both sides over a high heat (you will have to keep adding oil). Remove the slices from the pan and place on paper towels to drain. Put fresh olive oil in the pan and fry and drain the potato slices in the same way. Sauté the onions until transparent, add the ground meat and brown over a high heat. Stir in the tomatoes, white wine, sugar, cinnamon and parsley, reduce the temperature and simmer for 10minutes.

Melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook foe a minute or two. Slowly pour in the milk, stirring continuously. When the mixture thickens remove the pan from heat, stir in the egg yolk and season the sauce with sugar, nutmeg, lemon, salt and pepper. Stir in 2tbsp’s of the grated Graviéra and allow to cool.

Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Cover the base of a large ovenproof dish first with a layer of potato slices, then half the ground meat mixture. Next come the eggplant slices then the remaining ground meat. Pour over the béchamel sauce, smooth over the top and sprinkle with breadcrumbs, cheese and if desired, with cinnamon. Cook in the pre-heated oven for about 45-60minutes until the top is golden brown. Allow the finished dish to cool a little before cutting into large portions for serving. Serve with freshly baked white bread.
Note: if you can't find the Graviéra cheese substitute Jarlsberg OR Gruyère

Edit to add - I don't always bother with the soaking & salting bit, only if it is a particularly big aubergine.

richard198, Mar 16, 4:27am
Interesting.not a clove of garlic in sight.
It would seem that cookessentials (post#26) has been sucked in by the tourist trap along with others. (Or are the garlic ones all Jewish not Greek!)

richard198, Mar 16, 4:36am
Just to put things straight, it's called Patates Mousaka (Potatoes Mousaka) as I alluded to above. Funnily enough, this dish has garlic but no eggplant!
Once again; a traditional GREEK dish.

arielbooks, Mar 16, 4:40am
I always use beef seasoned with grated nutmeg, salt and pepper, add some tomato paste. Layer over with eggplant and thinly sliced potatoes fried with garlic, sliced tomatoes then cheese sauce and grated cheese. Sometimes I beat some egg yolks into the cheese sauce which makes it puff up a bit.

richard198, Mar 16, 4:50am
The reason for putting egg and egg yolks into the "sauce" is to make it set like a custard (what I call a "stand up sauce") so that when you slice it, the bechamel doesn't flow anywhere and maintains it's shape and is not liquid at all.

lyl_guy, Mar 16, 5:14am
Well, it seems the origin of Moussaka could be Arabic. with not a tomato in sight, along with the garlic. so none of us has the "original" recipe, what a surprise. we're all wrong, so we'll just continue to enjoy our very own versions.
http://www.cliffordawright.com/caw/food/entries/display.php/id/80/

lyl_guy, Mar 16, 5:16am
P.S. and cheese on top! I don't think so, lol!

davidt4, Mar 16, 5:30am
I make a Greek version which has a topping of yoghurt, eggs, nutmeg and cheese.The cheese ideally would be Kefalotyri but in the absence of that I use freshly grated parmesan and feta.It is delicious, very light and much less bother than making a bechamel.

richard198, Mar 16, 7:49am
The picture in your link is a good example of how it should look.

cookessentials, Mar 18, 8:26am
Hardly, but think what you like.

jenner4, Mar 18, 8:39am
the last time I was in Greece [ at my sisters place with her Greek family ] last August there was Garlic in the Moussaka but may be that's the Santorini way

richard198, Mar 18, 10:35pm
If anyone's interested in the "Real Deal" on Greek Cooking, try Chissa Pardisses' book.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Greek-Cookery-Chrissa-Paradissis/dp/9602261196

"I bought this book on a trip to Greece several years ago and being Greek, I found it to be the most accurate Greek cookbook I have EVER come across. Most Greek cookbooks are modified to American tastes and are quite fancy,but don't let this little paperback book fool you. I use it religiously! All of my friends have either borrowed it or asked where they could get a copy. It's my "bible" when it comes to cooking Greek food. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a REAL taste of Greece! "

illusion_, Mar 20, 9:30am
Had this one tonight. Used red wine also and a bit of balsamic vinegar (not sure why but it seemed like a good idea at the time). It was delicious.

olwen, Mar 20, 4:19pm
George Calombaris from Australian masterchef puts garlic in his moussaka, and his mum would tell him off if it shouldn't be there.

http://tvnz.co.nz/masterchef-australia/moussaka-taste-test-recipe-3121732

cookessentials, Mar 20, 10:12pm
and what do you know.he's Greek!

katj90, Mar 21, 12:08pm
The best Moussaka I've ever eaten had chickpeas in it. I've never been able to find a recipe similar :(