Has anyone heard of bee sting slice?

jaydan1, Feb 5, 3:15am
Think it may be Dutch? I would love a recipe if you have one. Thanks very much?

buzzy110, Feb 5, 3:27am
Yes. They sell it at the Paris to Berlin Bakery in Ellerslie. From what I can make out it is made using a very sweet bread dough, probably a sour dough bread. The filling is easy though.

lx4000, Feb 5, 3:37am
This bread is best eaten on the day it's baked.

Ingredients
(A)
250 gm bread flour
40 gm icing sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp milk powder

(B)
90 ml water
1 egg1
1 ½ tsp instant yeast

(C)
40 gm unsalted butter

For glazing
1 egg (beaten)

For topping
Some raisins
Some castor sugar

Method

Combine (A) in a mixer. Add in (B) and mix into a dough. Add in (C) and continue to knead until dough is smooth and elastic to the touch.
Keep dough in a big bowl and let it proof, covered with a damp cloth or with clingwrap for 30 mins or till dough rises to double.
Divide risen dough into two equal portions. Knead and shape into balls. Flatten and roll out each ball of dough. Place on a greased tray, spaced them apart. Proof for 45 minutes or until dough in size.
Brush with egg wash and press in raisins on surface. Sprinkle some castor sugar on top and bake in a preheated oven at 190C for 20 minutes. Remove hot bread from oven and transfer to wire rack to cool immediately.

lx4000, Feb 5, 3:39am
bee sting cake

Ingredients
1 5/8 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 pinch salt
3/4 cup lukewarm milk
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon milk
5/8 cup sliced almonds
1 tablespoon honey (optional)
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 tablespoon cream of tartar
Directions
1.Combine flour, yeast, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt, 3/4 cup milk, and 3 tablespoons butter or margarine. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 15 to 20 minutes. Place in a well greased bowl, and cover. Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled.
2.Punch down the dough. Roll out to a 1/2 inch thickness. Spread into a greased 8 inch square baking pan. Cover, and let rise for 30 minutes.
3.Melt 3 tablespoons butter or margarine and confectioner's sugar in a saucepan. Add almonds and 1 tablespoon milk. Remove from heat, and stir in honey. Spread evenly and carefully onto the dough. Allow dough to continue to rise for an additional 30 minutes.
4.Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes, or until crust turns golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
5.Dissolve cornstarch in a little milk. Combine 1 1/2 cups milk, cornstarch, and 1 tablespoon sugar inn the top of a double boiler. Heat while stirring until thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add in beaten egg, and keep stirring for about 2 more minutes, or until thick. Remove from heat, and stir in extract. Chill, covered, in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Beat the whipping cream with the cream of tartar until stiff. Fold into the chilled pudding.
6.Cut the cooled almond crust bread into 1 1/4 x 2 inch rectangles. Slice each horizontally into halves. Fill with pudding mixture. Chill, and serve cold.

lx4000, Feb 5, 3:40am

robyn35, Feb 5, 3:41am
Brumbys make bee stings, they are devine

jaydan1, Feb 5, 3:59am
Thanks so much everyone. I've only tried it the once and it was so divine. I will be trying these recipes for sure.

waswoods, Feb 5, 7:12am
They are indeed

elliehen, Feb 5, 8:56am
Local Dutch bakery (with genuine Dutch baker) makes Beestings.They are like a sweet yeasty doughnut, with a custard and cream filling.

robyn35, Feb 5, 9:01am
thats exactly how Brumbys do them, they have single ones and big dessert size ones.

daleaway, Feb 6, 12:24am
Beestings or beastings is the name for the colostrum, or the first milk the cow yields for a new calf.
It is usually used for a creamy custard made from beestings. Hence the custard filling or slice.

Nothing to do with honey or bees. Isn't that interesting?

lindylambchops1, Feb 6, 12:32am
I have bees in a hive...so if you want a bee sting...contact me!

sarahj1, Feb 6, 2:11am
They are a traditional German pastry - the German name Bienenstich translates as bee-sting, because of the sticky honey topping, so it IS to do with honey and bees, sorry!

guest, Feb 19, 9:50am
Its called the bienenstich. Its a sweet yeast sponge with creme patissiere (custard) then honey caramalised almonds on top. Commonly called the bee sting or bee's knees as its called at Paris Berlin bakery, Ellerslie. Kiwis find it a bit hard to get their tounge around bienenstich :)