Recipe for slice

kirstin2211, Dec 1, 4:43am
I just remembered!Continental slice :)Perhaps I should have thought for a few more mins.Thanks for looking anyway :)

petal1955, Dec 1, 4:46am
Here you go

NAINOMA BAR

Base: 4 oz butter (115g)
¼ cup sugar
3 tbs cocoa
1 egg - beaten
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups crushed malt biscuits
1 cup coconut

Custard Mixture:
2 oz butter (55g)
2 cups icing sugar
2 tbs custard powder
2 tbs hot water

Topping:
2 oz cooking chocolate (55g)
1 tbs butter

Base: Melt butter, sugar and cocoa over low heat. Remove from heat, add beaten egg, then vanilla, crumbs and coconut. Line a slice tin with baking paper, pack with mixture, and place in fridge for 30 minutes.

Custard Mixture: Cream butter, icing sugar, custard powder, and hot water. Spread over base mixture, and replace in fridge.

Topping: Melt chocolate and butter over hot water, and spread over custard mixture. After an hour or so, take out and cut into neat small squares.

Will keep in fridge.

I hope it is okay to post this as it wasn't my recipe. I have to admit though, I did triple the chocolate for the top. I'm very weak when it comes to chocolate!!

I double the custard icing and usually make a thick layer of chocolate icing instead of using chocolate. I have been making this slice for 25 years and still love it.

jaydan1, Dec 1, 6:31am
Yum, sounds so delicious, unfortunatly I outdid myself when I was younger and indulged in so much custard slice it made me sick for days. Can't bring myself to eat it in a slice anymore.

nojack, Dec 1, 7:45am
Yumm, Nanaimo Bars. Not really much like a Custard Slice. Thought to originate in Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (where else?).
The *best* Canadian recipe can be found at:
http://www.nanaimo.ca/EN/main/visitors/NanaimoBars.html

gardie, Dec 1, 8:31am
Continental slice - yum!

petal1955, Sep 21, 4:45pm
I have this recipe for Continental Slice - is this the type of thing you are looking for?

Base: Melt 4oz butter. Beat 1 egg. 4oz sugar, 11/2 tbsp cocoa, vanilla and add to butter. Stir over low heat to cook slightly, add 1C coconut & 1 pkt crushed malt biscuits. Press into swiss roll tin. Put into fridge while making topping.

Topping: beat with spoon till creamy 2oz soft butter, 2C icing sugar, 2 tbsp hot water, 1 tbsp custard powder.

Spread on base, ice with chocolate icing, leave to set, then cut