Chili Cornbread Recipe...

jbear333, Jan 25, 5:29am
Im having trouble locating this recipe... Google has so many different varieties but not the one i am looking for.
I know it has yoghart, chili, spring onions, corn etc... can anyone help? Thankyou so much.

elliehen, Jan 27, 10:03pm
This recipe is from a book in my collection - of authentic recipes, 'Best of the Best from Iowa', Selected Recipes from Iowa's Favourite Cookbooks. (IOWA is one of the major corn-growing states of the USA.)

CHIVE AND BLACK PEPPER CORNBREAD

3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup flour
1 Tbs sugar
1& 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup plain yoghurt or sour cream half-and-half
1/4 cup fresh snipped chives
3 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
2 Tbs milk
1 egg, beaten to blend

Preheat oven to 425*F.Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl.Whisk remaining ingredients in another bowl to blend.Make a well in the center of dry ingredients, add sour cream mixture and stir until just blended.Spoon batter into 8- or 9-inch greased pan.Bake until bread is golden and pulls away from the sides of the pan (approximately 20 minutes).Makes 9 pieces.Can be frozen.

NOTE:I have kept US spelling and measurements for authenticity :)While this does not have chilli, I am sure you could add it to get the combination of flavours you are looking for.

falconhell2002, Jan 28, 3:56am
I would love to try this, what do you recommend to have with it?

elliehen, Jan 28, 9:45am
Cornbread is usually served on the 'mains' plate, but there's no reason why you couldn't just 'snack' on it!(It has a satisfying crunchy texture from the coarse-ground cornmeal).

elliehen, Jan 28, 9:47am
PS The cornbread is cut into squares or wedges, not slices.

falconhell2002, Jan 28, 10:39am
Thanks elliehen, might try it with chillie con carne or something similar.The last time I looked in p n' s for cornmeal I could not find it, so this time I will try New World.

elliehen, Jan 28, 8:44pm
Thanks for returning :)I realised that I didn't fully answer this question.Yes, any kind of 'stew' would be a good accompaniment.I like it with a spicy mixed bean winter hotpot.

elliehen, Jan 28, 8:48pm
Another PS!You should be able to find cornmeal in the baking aisle, but it will also be in 'organics'.I've bought it in more than one kind of packaging.Make sure you buy the coarse yellow cornmeal for this recipe and not the finely ground whiter one.

falconhell2002, Jan 28, 10:32pm
Awesomethanks for the tips!Now I know exactly what I am looking for.

michelle_09, Sep 19, 8:16pm
I just made this, and added diced red capsicum - DELICIOUS! Thank you! Now to save the rest of the loaf for dinner time....