Your bestest whitebait pattie recipe please

sevenge, Nov 26, 9:03pm
have got some yummy wriglies and my recipe always turns out different

rai5, Nov 26, 9:50pm
OMG - I love them and live in Auckland. But earlier this month we visited my sister in the South Island and she did her usual breakfast of whitebait patties. I believe I have never tasted any better than hers.

But sorry I don't have her recipe. But one thing is for sure - they cook fast so be really careful not to overcook.

petal1955, Nov 26, 9:54pm
Rinse the whitebait...... pat dry.... then flour then individually.... toss into beaten eggs and make patties.....fry gently in butter and oil careful as to not overcookthem as they will be tough....Serve with lemon wedges

sevenge, Nov 27, 12:00am
thanks for thatdoesnt seem to me many out there have recipes thought i would be inundated with new ways or old, never mind will be over the moon at tea time tonight with a yummy salad, drool,drool

fisher, Nov 27, 12:09am
sevenge.. best do a search (upper left - anytime) Everytime someone asks, the purists dive in with
egg, salt, pepper and whitebait.. mix... cook..
(not allowed to be innovative on this recipe board) :}

sevenge, Nov 27, 12:32am
thanks fisher, am new to this and hadnt noticed, will try there, many thanks

johnmd1, Nov 27, 1:41am
yep,1lb whitebait,don't rinse,just drain..tsp fresh squeezed lemon. i/2 cup flour.1/2 tsp salt. 1-2 tsp baking powder(if not useing self raiseing flour)mix all together... Then add whitbait and fold in gently.use a table spoon to lay out patties on a buttered/oiled pan or bbq(is better).temp of plate..same as you would for an omelete

pogram0, Nov 27, 6:56am
South Island whitebait is much better than North Island whitebait.

huntlygirl, Nov 27, 7:20am
Beat 2 egg whites until firm add 2 tablespoons of flour and salt and pepper then fold whitebait in gently.Fry and enjoy.

sevenge, Nov 27, 8:11am
is great west coast whitebait, the only whitebait, will try above recipe nxt time,as is different than any i have used. thanks

uli, Sep 11, 3:46am