Peppermint recipe help!

sudsy99, Oct 28, 4:39pm
Hi there I can remember when I went to manual training about 25 years ago that we made our own peppermints.I am sure all they had in them was icing sugar, mashed potato and peppermint essence, but I have no idea of measurements.If anyone could help it would be appreciated even with another peppermint recipe.Its the kids school fair coming up and I would really like to make them for it.
Thanks.

cookessentials, Oct 28, 6:15pm
I take it you are after a soft one like and after dinner mint?
I do have one that I have made previously, I am sure there is not potato in it though.

sudsy99, Oct 28, 7:29pm
either soft or hard would be great!

dragonzflame, Oct 28, 8:39pm
Alison Holst does one for peppermint creams: http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes/2009/december/egg-free-peppermint-creams

My mum did these (or something similar) for a school gala once but she coloured half the mixture and rolled the two into a log, so it was kind of two-toned. Then she cut it into slices and dipped them in dark chocolate.

greerg, Oct 28, 9:21pm
x1
This is the one kids always made for Xmas gifts.
Chocolate Peppermint Creams
25 grms softened butter, approximately 2 cups icing sugar, ¼ cup condensed milk, green food colouring, ½ teasp peppermint essence Chocolate buttons

Mix all ingredients except chocolate.Form into small balls and flatten with a fork.Allow to dry overnight then ½ dip them in melted chocolate.

sudsy99, Oct 29, 12:32am
awesome thanks everyone.

valentino, Oct 29, 4:52am
From the "Culinaria" The Caribbean - a Culinary Discovery comes these instructions but under each photo, will just give the text, interesting though.

1. The villager puts 1 part water to 2 parts brown sugar into two pots.

2. Stirring vigorously, copious amounts of mint essence are added.

3. The gummy mixture is hung on a tree.

4. Strawberry essence and red dye added to other pot, the mixture is hung.

5. As the mixture cool (My note here, pots may had been on a heat) the red and white sweets lose their maleability (whatever that means).

6. Both sections are removed, intertwined and kneaded together.

7. The sweet is pulled and twisted, giving it marble appearance.

8. The more the sweet is pulled, the thinner the candy.

9. The ends are twisted and the candy allowed to harden.

(That is all that is written, nothing else. And words in brackets are my texts. Cheers.)

P.S. Have not tried google yet but perhaps could show more.

dollmakernz, Jul 1, 7:10am
Whisk egg white until stiff add icing sugar, and peppermint essence mix to a stiff dough. Roll out and cut into small rounds. Leave to air dry for a few hours then store in an airtight container. I usally make one batch white and add a couple of drops of green food colour to the 2nd batch. They look really nice served up in the 2 colours. You can also half or completely dip in chocolate.You can use any flavour for this recipe, Rawlieghs have beautiful flavourings for this sort of thing