I have too many cornflakes

Page 1 / 2
sunshinemegs, Oct 21, 7:54am
about 6 packets.
All I can find on the net is those cakes with sultanas in them.
Any other ideas of things to do with them?

abbey_magick, Oct 21, 7:58am
afghans!!!!! choc icing...

yum

lilyfield, Oct 21, 8:35am
just keep them until needed.

Or freeze if you think they will go stale.

245sam, Oct 21, 8:35am
Crush the cornflakes and use them as part of a crumb coating for chicken, fish, etc.

Also try doing a search here on this trademe MB using cornflakes as the Keyword and Anytime as the Date posted option.

Unless the cornflake packets are open remember that they will keep if stored in a cool dry place - and they should have a 'best before' date on them which will give you an idea of how long they should remain relatively fresh for, so there should be no major rush to use the cornflakes immediately or in the near future (unless of course, if you've already had all 6 packets for a long time).

Hope that helps.:-))

ferita, Oct 21, 8:45am
You can mix cornflakes, cottage cheese, beaten eggs, chopped fried onions and a dash of soya suace. and bake it. Makes a vegetarian "meat" loaf.

uli, Oct 21, 8:48am
One can never have too many cornflakes. Big bowl full every morning with cream and sugar - and they will soon be eaten!

nfh1, Oct 21, 9:29am
I know this is a really stupid question but-how do you end up with too many cornflakes?

sunshinemegs, Oct 21, 9:40am
It was a care package - and the kids don't like them :)

sunshinemegs, Oct 21, 9:42am
Thanks everyone for your ideas

aktow, Oct 21, 1:02pm
adding corn flakes or rice bubbles to a crumble mix is lovely..

most people i know make a crumble mix of,,, three parts flour,, 2 parts butter and 1 part sugar but i like to make mine,,, 2 part flourand butterplus 1 part sugar,, then i add lots of corn flakes ..

another variety is cornflakes plus coconut to a crumble with a few mixed nuts

margyr, Oct 21, 6:10pm
perhaps take them to a food bank.

lilyfield, Oct 21, 6:43pm
mix some in with the muesli

sunshinemegs, Oct 22, 12:06am
Past their use by (but still edible for my family)

tipsy_bl0nde, Oct 22, 1:46am
crush the cornflakes a bit and add 220g cooking chocolate melted with 50g butter and stir in and push into muffin trays and you get individual little chocolate crackle servings. (i do this with either ricies or cornflakes and only takes 5 mins to do it all) great for when kids turn up unexpected :)

Id say 2-3 cups of cereal to the chocolate mix. but you can just see how much to put in just keep mixing and if they are all covered lightly-med then wahlah!

nfh1, Oct 22, 3:57am
I see - what a shame the kids do not like them.That is a lot of cornflakes.

macandrosie, Oct 22, 8:30am
I have a yummy dessert, even the kids can put it together! Something to try this Labour Weekend!
Chocolate Cornflake Dessert:
2 cups cornflakes
1-2 tabs cocoa
½ cup sugar
Mix altogether & press into a large Tupperware container. Place in freezer till firm [30 mins or so]. Make up a chocolate instant pudding, adding a cup of whipped cream. Just prior to serving pour over the base, sprinkle with choc chips if desired, yummy!

smileeah, Oct 22, 8:52am
Lemon Crunch
115g butter
1T golden syrup
1/4c sugar
1c coconut
2c cornflakes
1/2c flour
1t baking powder

Melt butter and syrup together. Add to dry ingredients. Mix well then press into flat tin.
Bake 180c for 15 mins or until cooked.
Ice while hot with lemon icing. Cut when cold.

sunshinemegs, Oct 22, 10:10am
Oh yum.. some great ideas here. thanks.. looks like the kids and i will be baking up a storm this weekend.
Thanks ladies- oh and gents if any of you are :)

marree, Oct 22, 12:47pm
I really need to head off to bed (trying to settle cat & kitties).Can someone please give me recipe for 'cornflake cookies').ta x

cookessentials, Oct 22, 5:30pm
ApricotMuesli Slice

cooking spray or a little butter to grease pan
100g butter
110g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
100g plain flour
35g self raising flour
1 tbsp custard powder
160g apricot jam, warmed

Muesli topping
¼ cup honey
50g butter
135g rolled oats
40g cornflakes
40g shredded coconut
80g finely chopped dried apricots

Preheat oven to moderate (180C) Grease a 20cm x 30cm lamington pan; line base and two long sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above sides.

Beat butter, sugar and egg yolk in a small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in sifted combined flours and custard powder. Using fingers, press mixture over base of pan.

Bake in preheated oven uncovered, 12-15 minutes until browned lightly.

Meanwhile make the muesli topping, gently heat honey and butter in a small saucepan until butter melts; transfer to large bowl. Stir in oats, cornflakes, coconut and apricots.

Remove slice from oven, spread with jam, then press muesli topping over jam gently with fingers. Return slice to oven; bake a further 15 minutes.

Cool slice in pan before cutting into 20 pieces to serve.

norton, Oct 22, 11:30pm
Choc Cornflake Slice
3/4 c coconut, 3/4c Brown sugar, 1 1/2c Self Raising Flour, 1 1/2 c choc chips, 1 1/2c cornflakes - mix altogether.
185g melted butter & 1 eggs beaten lightly - mix together then add to dry ingreds.

Press into greased lamington dish 20cm x 30cm

Bake at 180C for 20mins

Cool and drizzle with melted choc chips or icing over top.
Suitable to freeze - easy and yummy

draftie, Oct 23, 1:33am
5 Cup Cookies

1 cup (can) condensed milk
4 cups of whatever you have (cornflakes, coconut, raisins, chopped dates, crushed weetbix, muesli, chopped apricots, choc chips etc)

Mix together.
Put spoonfuls onto baking tray and cook at 180 for 10 to 15 mins.

NOTE! mix is sticky and you need to push it togetherbefore baking AND the resulting cookies are very moorish be warned!

alebix, Oct 23, 3:05am
Give them to your neighbours and food banks etc...

Do you have school aged kids? does their school have a breakfast programme? Maybe donte some to them.

tarshlove, Oct 7, 4:48am
I made this today It looks really good will tell you how it tastes tomorrow when i dish it out to all me nieces and nephews ! :o)

mwood, Oct 7, 9:38am
ferment them and make moonshine