Pudding with macaroni

bricambeagles, Oct 20, 3:55am
I used to have as a kid a lovely pudding made by my nana that had macaroni elbows in it. I for the life of me cannot remember what was in it and my nana is now deceased so I cant ask her. I really would like to make it again for my family. Does anyone on here have a nice recipie for something similar like this? thanks alot
Lori

lost-in-oz, Oct 20, 3:59am
Was it just boiled in milk sugar?Exactly the same as rice pud.

bricambeagles, Oct 20, 4:00am
Yes if I can remember it was the same sort of pudding but in a different sauce and I cant for the life of me think what it was..

lost-in-oz, Oct 20, 4:02am
I know mum just used to boil hers in milk and sugar.Makes the macaroni all creamy.

245sam, Oct 20, 4:03am
bricambeagles, as I child I enjoyed the macaroni custard made by my Mum - it was simply a baked egg custard with added cooked macaroni elbows.:-))

frances1266, Oct 20, 4:03am
There used to be a macaroni custard pudding that was popular - would this be it?

bricambeagles, Oct 20, 4:04am
Cool thanks for all your help guys, might try both ways and see if it brings back memories. :-) Bless ya nana!!

bricambeagles, Oct 20, 4:07am
Yes it could be frances I honestly cant remember what was in it just tasted really yummy and had macaroni in it. This was 30 odd years ago so i will try some of these ones and see..

lilyfield, Oct 20, 4:42am
yep --we had it too in Germany. pasta in vanilla custard

uli, Oct 20, 8:09am
It is made like a rice pudding, just with pasta instead of rice. Here is a basic recipe:

100g Cooked Macaroni
2 Eggs
2 Tablespoons of Sugar
600ml Milk
Grated Nutmeg
Grated Lemon Rind

Beat the eggs and mix with the sugar and milk, add the macaroni and grated lemon rind and nutmeg. Bake for around one hour until golden on top and the custard has set.

You can add sultanas, Vanilla, Brandy etc.

nik12, Oct 20, 9:24am
My MIL makes the plain milk and sugar version as a treat.I just can't get my head around it, even though I love rice pudding - go figure?!

bricambeagles, Oct 20, 7:10pm
Thanks uli will give that one a go this weekend..cant wait!!

stu3, Jun 14, 7:51pm
One of my dear "old" husband's favourites from childhood.

Macaroni Pudding

1/2 C macaroni; 2 C milk; 1/4 C sugar; 3 eggs; 1/2 C sultanas; 1/2 tsp vanilla; sprinkling nutmeg

Cook macaroni in boiling salted water for 12-15 mins and drain. Beat sugar, milk, vanilla together and mix macaroni and sultanas through. Pour into baking dish and sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake 180 C for 45-55 mins.