Cooked Garlick Could someone help me please

missianne, Oct 15, 5:42am
If I squeeze cooked garlick into oil would it last? and how long do you think it would keep?Thanks

mrsdoobercoons, Oct 15, 5:46am
the oil should preserve it for a long time, why would you want to cook it first though?

missianne, Oct 15, 5:53am
I am a sook I have only started using it and find I like the sweeter taste. thanks for your help

carbon_trader, Oct 15, 6:35am
Garlick? is they related to Dr Who's Darlicks?

uli, Oct 15, 9:56pm
STORING GARLIC IN OIL
Extreme care must be taken when preparing flavored oils with garlic or when storing garlic in oil. Peeled garlic cloves may be submerged in oil and stored in the freezer for several months. Do not store garlic in oil at room temperature. Garlic-in-oil mixtures stored at room temperature provide perfect conditions for producing botulism toxin (low acidity, no free oxygen in the oil, and warm temperatures). The same hazard exists for roasted garlic stored in oil. At least three outbreaks of botulism associated with garlic-in-oil mixtures have been reported in North America.

http://cecalaveras.ucdavis.edu/garlic.htm

uli, Oct 15, 10:00pm
You can chop raw garlic and mix with oil and freeze - then scoop out as much as you need and return to freezer. It will not freeze solid that way. Lasts about 6 months at minus 18 degrees C.

alebix, Oct 15, 10:45pm
I get 5-6 cloves of garlic, then i bring that and the oil to almost boiling point....
Leave it on the lowest temp possible for about 10 mins and then cool.

Put that and the cloves in a bottle.
Mine never go mouldy, yuck,nothing as heating the oil and garlic,kill most of the germs.

buzzy110, Oct 16, 5:27am
Heck of a risk. My own book on the subject gives the same information that uli has given and the only leeway given is that if using garlic in oil it must be stored in the refrigerator and used within 2 weeks. And as an extra precaution she advises that when preserving in oil you should only use oil from a bottle where the seal is freshly broken, rather than using oil that has been sitting in an already opened bottle.

eastie3, Oct 16, 5:41am
That's my understanding also.I wanted to make my own garlic oil and went onto the net and found this information repeated on many sites.Apparently people have died in the past from food poisoning due to ignorance of this knowledge.I like the idea of freezing the garlic/oil mix,so thanks for that.

uli, Jun 2, 4:41pm
I never knew either until I came across a thread on here some years ago - and since I thought it pretty silly at the time I googled. And was quite astonished ...

It seems that it is mainly American websites that warn about botulism. I haven't seen any warnings in Italian or French recipes.
Not sure what the reason could be? Maybe they just have such a huge food"industry" in the US that most foods are a bit suspect? Think of salmonella in eggs or contaminated ground beef etc.