What is your favourite brand of jam? What favour?

Page 2 / 2
elliehen, Oct 2, 3:17am
The Pope family began making jam at home in Kelling Road near the Village of Sarau, Upper Moutere, Nelson.They were a Christian family and named their business Anathoth after an ancient Biblical town about three miles from Jerusalem, which commanded a view over the Jordan valley toward the Dead Sea and the mountains of Moab.

In the 1980s you could call in to buy jam and see them in the kitchen stirring the big pots of raspberries harvested from their own orchard.They do now make jam under their own family name, Pope, but I don't know whether it is available beyond the Nelson province.

I notice that the brand Anathoth no longer uses entirely New Zealand grown fruit.From the Anathoth website:
"At Anathoth we proudly support local growers and purchase New Zealand fruit first and foremost. We use apricots and plums from Central Otago; raspberries from the original Anathoth farm in Nelson; blackcurrants from Canterbury, citrus fruits from Poverty Bay and strawberries from even further North.

If there is a shortage and we have supplemented with fruit from other countries, we always tell you. Just check our jam labels to find out where our fruit has come from.When we purchase international fruit we do so in a global marketplace under strict quality assurance criteria and only through approved, reputable trading houses."

professor_plum, Oct 3, 5:05am
Boysenberry!

agvac, Oct 3, 5:12am
Homebrand Strawberry jam and their marmalade is surprisingly good.So is Craigs apricot reduced sugar jam.

elliehen, Oct 3, 7:22am
Surely not?Why not plum??

smileeah, Oct 3, 10:04pm
I thought I'd noticed a difference in the Anathoth plum jam lately... It seems runnier and just not quite the same as in the past. Hmmm
Personally, I love raspberry jam the best, especially on fresh scones with lashings of cream.

angie117, Oct 4, 1:54am
My favourite is Raspberry and apricot, and love the anathoth brand.

seniorbones, Oct 4, 4:21am
ruckass1 wrote:
The Anathoth brand is now owned by Barkers, but the person that used to make anathoth has a new brand pope jam i love Pope's raspberry jam[/quoteits now Te Horo

nik12, Oct 4, 7:17am
You can get the Pope jam in Invercargill, so you can get it outside of Nelson :-).Can't remember if it's New World or countdown I got it at?

cottagerose, Oct 5, 4:39am
Now that Ive tasted anathoth farmstyle pickle and zucchinni pickle its put me off making my own as its the nicest Ive ever tasted and the Te Horo jams are lovely too

buzzy110, Oct 5, 4:57am
Now that is odd because when I tasted it I wondered if it wouldn't have been better as a sweet topping for ice cream. Maybe they have changed the recipe since then and taken out all that sugar.

daleaway, Oct 6, 12:28am
Barker's New Zealand Blackcurrant.
It's really real!

ruckass1, Oct 6, 12:39am
Thats good to know

ruckass1, Oct 6, 12:40am
Can get pope jam at mosgiel new world last time I looked..

cookessentials, May 10, 11:45am
I do love home made strawberry jam, but it MUST have whole strawberries in it. Will probably do my usual apricot this year as well as raspberry and maybe strawberry if we get enough. Have twenty plants to go in shortly.