Looking for a recipe for Jamaican Slice..

earth_moon, Sep 25, 5:31am
Anyone have a recipe for this please?I had a piece of this slice at a cafe yesterday.Had a shortcake type base with a layer of jam & a coconut mixture on top.It was then topped with a lemon icing (I think).Have tried goggling it but to no avail.Probably called something else.I would really appreciate having this recipe please?
Cheers!

jessie981, Sep 25, 6:11am
sounds like Louise shortcake, topped with icing? .

earth_moon, Sep 25, 6:23am
Kinda like a Louise Cake...... however.... ...the coconut topping was more 'cake-like' than a Louise Cake...

melp6, Sep 25, 6:26am

earth_moon, Sep 25, 8:46am
Oh My Goodness me..!!! Yes - that's it!!Thank you so much..Oh Lord - I can't taste it already....

earth_moon, Sep 25, 8:49am
Ok... Now that I have found a picture of it to drool over - I need the recipe for it...Please, please - does anyone know it??

griffo4, Sep 25, 8:48pm
Ooohhh that looks soo nice l hope someone has a recipe for it

timturtle, Sep 25, 9:21pm
i haven't but notice on the list of ingredients, there is no butter or oil in the cake part of it, unless they missed it out.

earth_moon, Sep 25, 10:32pm
Aww... ...Surely someone must know......??

indy95, Sep 25, 10:59pm
Earth_moon, the florentines website gives a detailed description of the slice and a full list of the ingredients. It wouldn't be hard to make up a recipe. Basically it's a type of Louise cake but with a layer of spongy coconut mixture rather than a meringue type mixture on top of the jam and dried fruit, then lemon icing. Why not give it a try and let us know how it turns out ?

timturtle, Sep 25, 11:04pm
I agree indy95 and as the ingredients are listed from the greatest to the least,( or should be) then it is Coconut being the biggest etc, hope you understand ? Cheers

griffo4, Sep 25, 11:35pm
Looking at the ingredient list it is basically a pastry base with the coconut topping which is along the lines of the louise cake but flour and baking powder added. The icing sounds like a cream cheese icing with lemon added. Hope someone who is good with these things can come up with the coconut topping recipe

earth_moon, Sep 26, 3:17am
Hmmm..I will make an attempt.... ... of sorts..Actually, I have never made a Lousie Slice before.Certainly had my fair share of it though - but always with someone else's baking.
I might just have a fiddle with this..Actually, when I ate the Jamican Slice, I could have sworn it was more of a shortcake base..Oh well..

griffo4, Sep 26, 4:55am
If you make a shortcake base then add the raspberry jam and sultanas l wonder if the topping is not almost like a pav type with egg whites beaten add sugar then fold in flour,baking powder and coconut.
Let us know how you get on it sounds like a lovely slice

fruitluva2, Sep 29, 4:32am
Jamaican slice mmmm

marcs, Sep 29, 5:45am
Try this web site. It has the recipe but not sure if it is the one you are looking for.

http://cornercafe.wordpress.com/2010/06/16/jamaican-slice

timturtle, Sep 29, 5:55am
anyone had a go at making this ?? Was thinking it may use the oil in the coconut as enough to make the cake part ??

smileeah, Sep 29, 9:46am
Yummy! I tried this slice years ago and have tried to find the recipe on the net to no avail. It is very delicious and quite different to louise slice. Thanks for the link to a recipe for it, I will be making it sometime soon (my waistline won't be too pleased mind you).

lulu239, Sep 29, 11:42am
Thanks for that marcs. It looks as though it needs to be sampled as soon as possible.

accroul, Sep 29, 6:43pm

245sam, Oct 2, 7:30am
bumped for alebix :-))

alebix, May 5, 2:16am
Thank you 245 Sam