Baking in pyrex

marywea, Sep 28, 12:00am
A wonderful site
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/03/creamy-lemon-crum
b-squares/
was posted recently when a cond. milk recipe was asked for. The lemon slice seems to bebaked in a pyrex dish-has anyone ever done this and did the bottom cook alright? I have only used a metal container. Also on front page of thread is a meat loaf. I used to make one with bacon "plaited "around but it dried ouit. The one shown had a tomato sauce over the top-never thought of that!!

cookessentials, Sep 28, 12:03am
I do my creamy potatoes in a pyrex baking dish and it cooks beautifully.

marywea, Sep 28, 12:12am
I was really meaning biscuits/cakes/slices but thanks for response.

cap, Sep 28, 12:44am
I have cooked a cake in a pyrex mixing bowl and it didn't turn out as well as when baked in a metal bowl (I was making a Barbie cake so wanted the shape).

cookessentials, Sep 28, 1:33am
I would think it would be fine whether a cake or anything else.

dabo, Sep 28, 1:42am
I find that my pastry doesn't cook nearly as well in my pyrex pie dish as a metal one.It needs around 10mins longer so personally I think there is a difference

indy95, Sep 28, 2:33am
Marywea, some baking works well in Pyrex. I sometimes bake a loaf in it when I use a recipe which makes two as I have only one metal loaf tin and have baked slices in a Pyrex dish too. I find that pastry doesn't crisp up as well as when it is baked in a metal pan and I have never tried it for a cake so can't help you with that.

cookessentials, Sep 28, 2:49am
The base of the dish looks as if it is biscuit type crumb mixture which i think will be fine. If it has turned out in the recipe on your link, then it will work fine.

greerg, Sep 28, 7:13am
I have made slices in a large pyrex dish and they were fine.I fhaven' had problems with homemade short pastry baked blind in a pyrex flan dish either.

duckmoon, Apr 22, 4:48pm
I don't have a problem baking in my pyrex dishes...
but having seen the recipe, I suspect that great grandmother didn't bake in them (hard to keep glass in one piece on the wagon train)...
and wonder if it was used so it could be photographed.