Page 2 / 2
rainrain1, Sep 22, 5:41am
Potato Blocks

1 egg
1 Tblsp chopped parsley
pepper and salt to taste
2 cups mashed potato
1/2 cup flour
Add egg, parsley, pepper and salt to mashed potato.Then add enough flour to make mixture firm.Press out on a floured board like scone mixture.Cut into blocks. Fry both sides till crisp

lythande1, Sep 22, 5:46am
Thats because it's a lump of meat and some veg chucked on a plate.
Try some past or rice dishes, one-pot meals that sort of thing.

walt, Sep 22, 6:02am
Nachos my children have always loved them. Use beans or mince and beans. Quick easy cheap!

mbos, Sep 22, 6:57am
We do fish pie, or macaroni cheese, or shepherd's pie, once a week?

Or a stir fry?

heavens_bratt, Sep 22, 8:33pm
Bumping to say thanks to all for sharing your awesome recipes and ideas.. I have bookmarked this page.. please feel free to add more.

cheers and have a wonderful day :)

pickles7, Sep 22, 8:43pm
Curried vegetables,
a great way of introducing a few lentils as well. I would start with soaking, then cooking the lentils. Maybe they are sold in a can already prepared.

pickles7, Sep 22, 8:46pm
12 is a great age to introduce your girls to the kitchen. Get them involved , ask them to write out a menu, and try and see it through, with them.

ruby19, Sep 22, 9:56pm
Our meat eating family fav`s are spinach & cheese cannelloni, soups especially corn chowder, potato & leek & mexican tortilla, these can be served with savoury scones, toasted sandwiches or garlic bread to be a bit more substantial. Garden veg pie, basically a veggie bake but the potatoes are layered top & bottom and other veggies are layered in the middle in a cheese sauce. Bean nachos/ enchiladas, wraps/kebabs with home made falafel, with hummus salads and sauces of choice.I even wrap them in foil and pop in sandwich press for that food court look! Mac n cheese with extra veggies thrown in the mix, like onion,grated carrot, peas, corn & courgette if any hanging around. Cous cous salads are great, and very easy, just add a whole lot of roasted veggies, fresh herbs from the garden and a bit of feta is great.Good luck!

cgvl, Sep 22, 11:43pm
My meat loving DH asked me to make my spinach quiche the other day, nearly fell over backwards.
Spinach quiche is 1 large onion chopped, 2 cloves garlic chopped, sauteed in 2Tbsp oil until soft, then add 500gms fresh chopped spinach or silverbeet and cook 10mins over a low heat until wilted. Set aside to cool while you mix the rest of ingredients together.
2 eggs beaten, 250gm cottage cheese (can use Ricotta but I find I dont like texture), ½ -1 cup grated cheese (can use parmesan but I don't too expensive), ½tsp grated nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Mix these and add the spinach and give a good mix to combine. Now either pour into a prepared pastry case or into a deep pie dish and cook at 200C for 45-50 mins. I dont bother with the pastry but it is nice for a change.

cgvl, Sep 22, 11:48pm
Othe ideas: Baked potatoes, with just cheese or cheese and onion/pineapple or baked beans or jazz them up with chilli beans add cheese and sour cream.
fish kedgeree: white sauce, flaked fish (salmon/tuna/smoked fish fillets) hard boiled eggs sliced and cooked rice. season to taste add a dash of curry powder if you like. Mix together and pile into a casserole dish, top with breadcrumbs or a crumble mix or potato and into a moderate oven until top nice and brown.

cgvl, Sep 22, 11:52pm
other ideas: hot dogs in a roll (use sausages or polonies or frankfurters) and cheese and sauces.
sausages cooked then split and filled with cheesy mashed potato.
soup and scones
individual pizza'sfor a change I do them on tortilla rounds with just spaghetti, bacon or meatballs and cheese (saturday lazy tea)

cgvl, Sep 22, 11:55pm
what about homemade McD's/BK. Use bought muffins or smaller round rolls rather than the large burger buns. each child could assemble their own.

I

heavens_bratt, Apr 10, 12:06pm
Thanks everyone .. awesome!