Red Velvet Cake.....

Page 1 / 2
amy_and_bailey8, Aug 20, 2:23am
Im making this cake for my sisters birthday and i would like to know if i can freeze this cake a few days before her birthday? ?

chicco2, Aug 20, 2:36am
Yes, pretty much all cakes can be frozen. Just make sure to take out of its container or wrapping, while thawing, especially if in plastic. Stand the frozen cake on a cake cooling rack and cover with a T towel. This stops the cake from getting damp from the melting ice. Good luck with the birthday. How are you icing or decorating the cake?

amy_and_bailey8, Aug 20, 2:42am
Thank you for that, I am making a 3 tiered twilight cake so will be interesting and i thought well the red velvet will just go perfectly with the theme. Im Icing it with cream cheese icing or maybe butter icing then im using fondant to make the details

chicco2, Aug 20, 2:46am
Sounds fantastic. Please post a pic or 2 when its all done.

amy_and_bailey8, Aug 20, 2:47am
i will if it turns out right lol, this will be only my 5th cake so im jumping right in

chicco2, Aug 20, 2:47am
White gnache goes well with Red Velvet, and becauseit sets harder than cream cheese or Butter cream, it can be done a day or so earlier. It has the same look as cream cheese.

amy_and_bailey8, Aug 20, 2:51am
where do i get that from or could you tell me how to make that please, im open to any ideas

chicco2, Aug 20, 2:55am
Gnache is melted chocolate with warm cream mixed in until smooth and some icing sugar. You can use brown or white chocolate. Have a practice 1st. Its great stuff to work with. If its too runny to spread, fridge it for 20mins or so. It can be piped too. I will find a pic.

amy_and_bailey8, Aug 20, 2:56am
awesome thank you

chicco2, Aug 20, 2:59am
http://www.ediblecreations.co.nz/photo-gallery.html
There are several gnached cakes on here. They are the more creamy coloured icing ones. usually used at the brides request.

amy_and_bailey8, Aug 20, 3:02am
would they work if i draped fondant over?

amy_and_bailey8, Aug 20, 3:03am
They are very beautiful cakes

chicco2, Aug 20, 3:09am
Thanks, most of them are done by my friend, some we have donr together and some are mine.
Draped fondant over? Like the pic 5th row down, centre pic? Gnache icing with fondant drapery?

amy_and_bailey8, Aug 20, 3:15am
yes exactly sorry i only had a quick look. Yes sort of like that my base cake is black, my middle cake will be checkered black and white and my top cake is going to be white

chicco2, Aug 20, 3:18am
So you wont be needing gnache or cream cheese if you are completely covering the cakes with fondant.

amy_and_bailey8, Aug 20, 3:20am
well i may use the gnache to cover the top cake and if i can color the gnache i will use it for my bottom cake as well?

chicco2, Aug 20, 3:23am
Do you have a pic of a cake similar to what you want to create?
Remember that white chocolate is not WHITE, its cream. You may be able to colour your dark choc gnache to black.

amy_and_bailey8, Aug 20, 3:28am
yes i do http://www.birthday-parties-for-kids.com/wp-content/uploads/
2008/12/2717486890_4090b8366c. jpg

i go by pictures of the net for my ideas for cakes

chicco2, Aug 20, 3:34am
Great cake! They have definitely used fondant to get those strong dark colours and smooth finish. That doesnt mean that you have to.
Have you ever used Chocolate fondant? Its a Bakels brand and is available on Trademe and at some cake shops. Its very dark brown and maybe you could colour it down to black easier than colouring white fondant. Its got a real chocolate taste and smell.

amy_and_bailey8, Aug 20, 3:37am
Haven't used that personally but willing to give anything a go. I brought some gel color to put into my white fondant so maybe i could use that to tone down the chocolate fondant? ?

chicco2, Aug 20, 3:38am
http://www.cakestuff.co.nz/zencart/index. php? main_page=index
&cPath=30_65
There may be some on Trademe, but I was in a hurry, and found it quicker on here.

amy_and_bailey8, Aug 20, 3:42am
Thank you for all your help, this cake isn't due till next Saturday so i better get planning, im sure i can buy that Bakels Pettinice - Chocolate in my local supermarket so i will have a look there also, i will definitely post a photo or two when it is finished. Thank you again

chicco2, Aug 20, 3:49am
You are welcome. I look forward to seeing the pics.

aveross, Aug 20, 8:26am
You can buy black fondant. Sure it was on Trade Me I saw some advertised just recently.

amy_and_bailey8, Feb 11, 2:05am
thank you i will have a look for that also