Has anyone heard of "slice of heaven"

raureti, Aug 8, 2:25am
We have a cafe here that makes this, everytime i have gone into see if they any slice of heaven they have sold out! ! ! ! ! ! ! - i am wanting to see if anyone has heard of this delicacy and if so do you have a recipe for it. From the first and last time that I tasted slice of heaven, i could see that it had some type of biscuit base with fruit and nuts on the top and i think it also had condensed milk in it.

If anyone could help, that would be lovely, i am getting withdrawal symptons LOL... ... ... .

nfh1, Aug 8, 2:28am
I actually thought it was a song but it appears it is also a slice - is this it? ?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article. cfm? c_id=6&
amp;objectid=10641370

or one of these I should add! !

pam.delilah, Aug 8, 3:34am
is it this
Slice of Heaven
Sugar-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, guilt-free and delicious
Boil together in a saucepan for 10 minutes:
• 1 cup raisins
• 1 1/2 cups dates
• 2 cups water
In a large bowl:
• 3 cups grated carrots/apples
• 1 cup sunflower seeds
• 1 cup walnuts
• 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
• 1/2 cups sesame seeds
• 1/2 cup coconut
• 1 1/2 cups rice flour
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp vanilla essence
• Pinch of salt
• boiled raisins and dates
Combine and press into a greased tin and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 150 degrees Celsius for approximately 30 minutes

or this

1 1/2 cups malt biscuits, crushed
75 g butter, melted
1 cup choc bits
1 cup chopped raisins
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup flaked almonds
300 ml Sweetened Condensed Milk

Method
Preheat oven to 180ºC.
Grease and line 18cm x 28cm lamington pan.
Combine biscuit crumbs and butter.
Press mixture into pan.
Sprinkle choc bits over crumb crust.
Top with raisins, or apricots, coconut and almonds.
Pour Sweetened Condensed Milk evenly over top.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
Cool in pan, cut into squares to serve.

snapit, Aug 8, 3:52am
I couldn't find the named recipe, I think slice of heaven was just an article heading but there were 3 other nice slice recipes.
I think the 'Slice of heaven'slice has several names and recipes and it is as you describe it, a base with fruit and nuts or other yummy things on it with condensed milk poured over and cooked
This is not called slice of heaven, it uses a biscuit base but gives you the idea.
http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/all-saints-slice.html
and here is another with a cooked base
http://www.food.com/recipe/what-th-chocolate-slice-25309
I have not made either of these as my waist would object.
There are various combination of the topping ingreds of dried fruit/tropical fruit/ nuts/ coconut thread/ chocolate chip.
When you are next going to town ring ahead and ask if they will put aside a couple of pieces for you. Worth a try, the wost they can say is no, and you never know they may say yes.

nfh1, Aug 8, 5:15am
Yes it was just an newspaper heading - I wondered if someone had seen it and named their slice after that - perhaps slightly changing one of the recipes.

korbo, Aug 8, 9:34am
we call ours Mondo slice, after a cafe my daughter worked in after school, yonks ago. . we only make it for birthdays, special occassions, as it is rather rich... love it... . . pams recipe is the same as ours... .

korbo, Aug 8, 9:35am
pam- is 1 1/2 cups crushed biscuits a whole packet. my recipe does have a heap more butter, but last time i did make it, the base was very crumbly... . .couldnt get it outta the tin.
I blamed the butter... . .

pam.delilah, Aug 9, 12:38am
hi korbo, not sure about the amount .
Try about 100-125 gms butter to a pkt of biscuits.
It could be the butter as butter is not butter anymore as it depends on the brand and also the brand of malt biscuits can make a difference (different recipe)

Try again and go by feel and look. Pam

alewis, Aug 9, 1:09am
that brought back a memory of a restaurant called 4 steps to heaven it was quay street auckland. anyone remember it? -

wildflower, Aug 9, 3:04am
Pam that first one sounds great, be a good natural energy boosting one for when I'm cycling.

raureti, Aug 14, 5:59am
thanks for the recipes, will give them a go and let everyon know how they went.

guest, Jan 16, 5:07am
#9 - I do remember "4 Steps to Heaven". Ate there in the late 80's. I hear it has been closed for many years. Their "Heavenly Chicken" was really delicious. If anyone may have the recipe, I would be most grateful if you could share it with us.
thank you
Howard