Question for preserving/bottling experts

kamitchell, Aug 4, 1:00am
This coming summer I am planning on making my own tomato sauce & bottle it. My question is, I have been collecting glass bottles to bottle it in, but does the lid need to be the type that pops down? I hope that makes sense. I also have some jam type jars that also don't have the pop down lids, are these ok to use for jams/chutneys/relishes? ?

This probably sounds like stupid questions, but just don't want to be saving bottles that aren't any good! Thankyou for your help.

ballito, Aug 4, 2:23am
Hi Kamitchell, you will be fine with your bottles and jars. With jams and chutneys I always put a thin wax seal on just to seal the contents but obviously don't bother with sauce. Good luck and have fun.

buzzy110, Aug 4, 2:43am
My friend makes dozens of bottles of tomato sauce every year and just reuses old bottles and their lids. So I have received gifts of sauce in old oil bottles, gin bottles and unidentifiable bottles and none of these lids 'pop'. They have been absolutely fine.

darlingmole, Aug 4, 5:07am
kamitchell ~ I make my own chutney and spag bol type sauces. I collect up old jam and mayonaise jars aswell. Once you've sorted out your perserve and it's piping hot make sure your jars are washed, dried and then sterilised for at least 15 mins at 150 deg C in the oven. Pour your hot mixture into the hot jars and screw the lid down. In time it should "pop" downwards . . yes I cheat and help it from time to time and squash the lid down!

georgie36, Aug 4, 5:37am
I find wine bottles are very easy to find! i store alot of my tomato sauce and codials in wine bottles.

kitty1983, Aug 4, 6:06am
georgie, what do you use as a lid for the wine bottles?

lizab, Aug 4, 7:24am
When I made tomato sauce this year, I just poured the sauce into old plastic sauce bottles and used the same lid! I've still got bottles in my pantry and haven't had any problems - I ikeep expecting to find mould on the top, but nothing. The recipe has glacial acetic acid (Digby Law recipe) - so maybe that's a powerful preservative? ? ?

terraalba, Aug 4, 8:54am
Preserves with vinegar in them such as chutneys, do better with a plastic lid or at least a wax barrier). I saved glass vinegar bottles with plastic lids for the purpose of making sauces. I alsokeep some old glass flagons as well as some smaller glass sauce bottles too in case they are needed for these kinds of preserves.

kamitchell, Dec 27, 7:56am
x1
Oooh thankyou for all your replies, so it sounds like what I have been collect will be fine! Thanks again :) Can't wait to try my homemade tomato sauce! ! ! Bring on the summer garden