Old fashion doughnut recipe 1950/70s

dilligaf_dah, Feb 18, 2:04am
Does any one have the older type of doughnut recipe that was around in the 1950s 60s 70s where the cream was in the middle. Yeast or without yeast. Tried edmonds cookbook but not the one. Thankyou in advance.

shrug, Feb 18, 3:55am
OT, love your user name! ! ! Ive just ordered a decal for my car with DILLIGAF on it! ! ! !

dilligaf_dah, Feb 18, 9:41am
jump

darlingmole, Feb 19, 4:58am
I only have a recipe that came with a donut maker I was given. If you want it give me a "yell" ...

dilligaf_dah, Feb 19, 6:25am
Thankyou but have one of those already. Looking for the old fashoined round ball ones.

korbo, Feb 19, 8:49am
arnt they just a dough like a bun, but made smaller and then deepfried. i know the ones you mean, cant say i have a recipe tho.

bcnd, Feb 19, 9:44am
x1
Hmm while I have my grandmas cookbook out. 1/3cup sugar, 1 well beaten egg, 2 c flour, 1/8tsp cinnamon, 1/16 tsp mace, 1 1/2Tablespoons shortening, 1/3c milk, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/8 teaspoon cloves, 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cream sugar & shortening. Add egg & milk. mix well. Mix & sift remaining ingredients. Add them to the liquid mix & mix thoroughly. Turn out onto floured board & roll out to 1/2" thinck. Cut & Fry in deep hot fat (375 degrees) until dark brown. Drain on unglazed paper. Sprinkle with castor sugar

dilligaf_dah, Feb 19, 9:55am
x1
Thankyou all so far but still no the one I am looking for. It has no spices in it and it is a softer lighter mix than buns. One receipe has yeast in it and the other baking powder would like to see if I can get both again Ours burned in our house fire.

doug57, Feb 19, 10:21am
any here that look like what you're after?
http://www.ehow.com/how_4788564_make-yeast-raised-doughnuts-
donuts.html
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0, 1813, 149186-234200, 00.html
http://www.homemade-dessert-recipes.com/donut-recipes.html

trickytash, Feb 19, 10:40am
my mum and her brothers and sisters all talk about these amazing donuts their mum used to make back in the day and no one can remember the recipe... they sound real yum and they are all in their late 50's early 60's... they talk about being allowed to eat them straight outa the pan! ! ! had an awesome mum by the sounds of it, gutted I never knew her.

ruckass1, Feb 19, 10:54am
x1
Not sure if this is the one but here it is
CINNAMON DOUGHNUT DROPS
Oil for deep frying
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. milk
2 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
In large saucepan, heat 2 to 3 inches oil to 350 degrees. In large bowl, combine flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in milk, oil, vanilla and egg with a fork JUST until dry ingredients are moistened. Drop by teaspoonfuls into hot oil, 5 to 6 at a time.
Fry doughnut drops 1-1 1/2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Mix 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; roll warm doughnut drops in mixture. 24-30 doughnut balls.

fisher, Feb 19, 11:15am
not only cream in the middle but a spoonful of raspberry jam in the middle... boy they tasted great... .

dilligaf_dah, Feb 20, 3:05am
Thankyouall have found 2 similiar that I will addapt. Again Many thanks.

delihank, Feb 24, 4:00am
can you tell us the recipe for the 2 you have found ... . thanks

stevee6, Feb 24, 4:19am
x1
Oh I loved those doughnuts - they were my Friday school treat. Icing sugar that got all over your clothes, real cream and strawberry jam and so soft! ! ! *goes all retro in her mind... *

theanimal1, Feb 24, 12:17pm
Yeast Donuts with Jelly or Glaze
1 package granular yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 tsp sugar (first amount)
1/2 cup scalded milk
1/4 cup sugar (second amount)
1/4 cup shortening
1 tsp salt
c 1/4 to 3 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 egg

Method

Soak the yeast and 1 tsp sugar in the lukewarm water for ten minutes. Add the hot scalded milk to te shortening, 1/4 cup of sugar and salt and stir until it is lukewarm. Add this to the yeast liquid along with 2 cups of flour and the egg. Beat for five minutes. Beat in one more cup of flour until smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl, cover and let rise for two hours. Turn dough onto board floured with remaining flour. Knead 100 times.

Roll out to 1/3 inch thickness and cut with floured 3" cutter. Let rise uncovered until very light, at least one hour. A thin crust forms on the outside.

Slide the donuts into the hot fat at 375 degrees. As they rise to the surface and become a little brown, turn them over. Fry about three minutes to brown on both sides. Lift out with long fork, but do not prick. Drain then transfer to absorbent paper in a warm place. To sugar the cooleddonuts, shake one at a time in a paper bag containing a little icing or granulated sugar.

Jelly Donut Recipe

Roll donut dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Let rest five minutes. Cut out with 2 1/2 inch round cutter and let stand five minutes. Place 1 tsp tart stiff jelly or jam in center of half of the rounds. Top with the remaining rounds and seal edges firmly. Let rise uncovered for half an hour. Deep fry and drain as above.

Honey Glaze Donut Recipe

Add 1 1/2 tbsp honey to 3 1/2 tbsp of boiling water and 1 cup icing sugar. Stir to blend. Dip warm donuts into this warm glaze. Let cool and dry on cake rack

theanimal1, Feb 24, 12:19pm
Fast and Easy Donuts

For those busy days
6 eggs
6 tbsp Oil
8 tsp baking powder
2 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
7 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg

Method

Combine the liquids in one bowl. Combine the dry ingredients in aother bowl.

Add one to the other.

Roll out, using very little flour.

Cut into shapes, or if you want to do this the really easy way, just drop spoonfulls into the hot oil.

Deep fry until golden. Roll them in confectioner's sugar when cooked, if desired.

Doughnuts

1 cup granulated sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups all-purpose flour (about)
2 eggs
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons melted butter
Fat (for deep-fat frying)

Sift together sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and flour.

Beat eggs thoroughly, then stir into dry ingredients. Add the milk and melted butter. Roll about 1/2 inch thick on a floured board and cut with a doughnut cutter. Fry several at a time in 375 degrees F fat until nicely browned. Drain on paper towels. Dust with granulated or confectioners' sugar.

Makes 24.

Banana Donuts recipe
Ingredients:

4 cups of all-purpose flour.
1 cup of granulated sugar.
1 cup of mashed bananas.
½ cup of buttermilk.
¼ cup of shortening.
2 eggs.
4 teaspoons of baking powder.
1 ½ teaspoons of vanilla extract.
1 teaspoon of baking soda.
1 teaspoon of nutmeg.
½ teaspoon of salt.
Preparation Instructions:

Cream shortening and sugar together.

Add eggs to the mixture and beat well.

Mix the bananas, vanilla extract and buttermilk.

Add this to the creamed mixture along with other dry ingredients.

Roll mixture out onto a lightly floured surface.

Cut and leave to stand for 15 minutes.

Deep fry until golden brown.

Apple Donuts recipe
Ingredients:

Main Ingredients:.
1 ½ cup of flour.
½ teaspoon of nutmeg.
1 ¾ teaspoon of baking powder.
½ cup of sugar.
½ teaspoon of salt.
Dry Ingredients:.
1 x egg.
½ cup of grated apple or.
¾ cup of applesauce.
½ cup of oil.
¼ cup of milk.
Preparation Instructions:

Sift together the main ingredients.

Mix the dried ingredients and combine with the main ingredients.

Fill 12 greased muffin cups ¾ full and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Remove from tray and brush with a ¼ cup of butter and then roll in a mixture of ¾ cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.

DELICIOUS DONUTS

1 egg, 1/2 cup castor sugar, 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp melted butter or oil, 1/3 cup milk, 1/2 tsp vanilla, oil for frying. Beat eggs and sugar in bowl till thick. In seperate bowl mix dry ingredients. Add dry ingred altenatly with milk melted butter ess to egg mixture. Chill dough for 1 hour for best results, this makes it easier to handle. Roll out dough on lightly floured board to aprox 12mm /1/2 inch thick. Cut with floured donut cutter or cut into fingers or squares or other shapes. Fry in hot oil for 30 to 60 sec each side. Drain on paper towel then toss in 1/2 cup castor sugar mixed with 1 tsp cinnamon.

purplegoanna, Feb 24, 7:03pm
I COULD KISS U IF YOU WERE HERE! ive got this recipe but dont have 2 of the amounts, ive been devasted cause i couldnt make them, and mum has since passed so i couldnt find out how much the amounts were... they were known as cinnamon balls or hunky punkys in our house

dilligaf_dah, Feb 25, 2:10am
Thankyou the animal. I had one recipe similiar but it was from a bakery and huge amounts. This one looks better size.

ruckass1, Sep 8, 10:49am
Your welcome