Pikelet recipe please

gnome25, Jul 1, 8:55pm
Hi I need a tried and true recipe that you can guarantee works. I have a recipe that makes lovely tasting pikelets but they are really flat. I'm looking for nice tasting ones that are a good size... lol

cookessentials, Jul 1, 8:58pm
Here you go - my recipe from the cooking class 101 thread.

PIKELETS This wonderful recipe has been around since the 60's (or earlier) when my Mum used to make these. I remember her using the solid element on the stove top and using greaseproof paper and butter to grease the hotplate(can almost smell them now! ! )
2 eggs;3 tbsp caster sugar;1 1/2 cups plain flour;2 tsp cream of tartar;1 tsp of soda;1/2 teacup of milk (I use more as the mixture is quite thick)salt;1 tbsp melted butter. Sift flour and cream of tartar. Beat eggs and sugar well, then work in flour, adding milk in which b soda has been dissolved. :astly, add melted butter. TIP: pour mixture off the end of your spoon to get nice round pikelets.

gnome25, Jul 1, 10:15pm
Thankyou I'll give them a try

gnome25, Jul 1, 10:15pm
Any idea approx how many this recipe will make?

jaybee2003, Jul 1, 10:43pm
This recipe was copied from here recently - I had tried and tried and tried, recipe after recipe, failing to produce nice, raised, fluffy pikelets. This recipe - every time great success. So. . copied and pasted again, with thanks to the original poster [whose name I can't recall]

" Easiest pikelets of all(My grandkids make them)
Put in one bowl 2 cups of self raising flour and 4 tablespoons of castor sugar.
In another bowl beat together about 1 1/2 cups tepid water and 2 eggs
Add wet mix to dry mix and beat until smooth
Place in spoonfuls into a hot greased pan or griddle until golden and flip.
Makes about 24... but you can make them smaller and more ladylike by using smaller spoonfuls.
Serve with jam and whipped cream. Its an old tried and true favourite. "

cookessentials, Jul 1, 11:16pm
No, I guess it depends on how big you make them but quite a few from memory!

marcs, Jul 2, 2:39am
I find without butter they are dry and horrible.

cookessentials, Jul 2, 2:56am
do you mean in them or on them marcs? the recipe above has melted butter in them.

marcs, Jul 2, 8:39am
Melted butter in them Pam. I notice yours had some. I tried making a different recipe than the one I make and it had no butter add to the batter. It turned out dry and horrible and was missing the butteriness that it gives. I'll post mine as well. It is nice and soft and scrumptious.

marcs, Jul 2, 8:43am
x1
1 Cup Self Raising flour
3 tbs Sugar
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp vinegar or lemon juice
¾ cup milk
1 egg
30g butter melted
1 tsp vanilla.

Pour lemon Juice into milk and sit aside for 5 mins. Sift all dry ingredients together. Mix all wet ingredients in another bowl and pour into the dry mix. Mix well. Slightly lumpy mixture is alright. Cook on medium heat till bubble rise then flip over and cook on the other side.

I make this recipe into pancakes as well. (I reckon pancakes are just a larger version of piklets).

guest, Sep 13, 2:42am
I am looking for a picklet recipe that uses buter, but not melted as I remember my Grany creaming the butter with the sugar befor all the other ingrediants were added.

guest, Jan 6, 12:58am
dear marcs
have made these as per your recipe and they are wonderful. better than my 80 year old mothers recipe.others are now asking for this recipe as its the best ever tasted. many thanks jenni