Sun Valley popcorn

tims04, Jun 16, 9:06am
Has anyone else bought Sun Valley popcorn kernels that do not pop?

elliehen, Jun 16, 9:18am
Yes, ME! It's been my preferred brand up till now but the last packet I bought opened into tiny little hard florets. I was so surprised I tried a second batch and got the same result. I threw the rest out hoping the birds would eat it, but even they have left the kernels alone.

fisher, Jun 16, 9:29am
pak n slave didn't have any popping corn for months and having an American wife with popcorn habits, the search was started to find them. . Nowhere north of Whangarei had them and I was told it was because they were now using them to make bio fuels. . hence the shortage... When they did finally stock some more in the "help yaself bins", I bought a 14 odd dollar bag full to appease the bleating hehehehe

elliehen, Jun 16, 10:12am
fisher, let her bleat... it's an inexpensive and harmless addiction. I acquired mine over many years in the USA.

tims04, Jun 16, 6:43pm
Oh good... . . so its not only me! Did you perhaps contact them? I think I will.

deejayrobbied, Jun 16, 11:23pm
I get mine from the Bin Inn and they are always great. Good snack for the kids after school. I have asked at supermarkets but they were deleted from their stock and never brought back.

stormbaby, Jun 17, 12:27am
I have just had the same problem with "popping corn" by Davies Foods (apparently "grown here in NZ") total failure and almost a fire when the 18 year old tried to pop them on the stove after failing two batches in the microwave. I have written to the company, but just discovered the best before date is 7 June and wonder if some of this stuff they are putting on the shelves is very short dated or old stock.
The best stuff is from Binn Inn, never had a problem with it.

fisher, Jun 17, 1:42am
She says it pops in her popcorn machine a little different but tastes better than the old stuff. . lol. . elli. . she was bleating because she had run out and I couldn't get anymore. . all quiet on that front for awhile. hehehe... she dislikes the packet stuff or microwave stuff and would rather go without. . likes to do her own in her machine. .

stormbaby, Jun 17, 9:22am
Well I emailed Davies Foods and they emailed straight back and are going to replace the packs. They said they had a problem with a batch.

robyn35, Jun 17, 9:49am
I got some from the bulk bins at the supermarket and it is not flash, it is popping but it is sort of crunchy and strange tasting. Seems to be getting hard to buy it, guess they want people to buy the microwave packet stuff that is full of crap

elliehen, Jun 17, 10:17am
Yes, I contacted them today and they said that they have recalled stocks of the corn that wouldn't pop and have changed suppliers. New stock should be on the shelves next week.

allganic, Jun 17, 10:42am
You can grow your own popping corn - there are several varieties - some here:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Outdoor-garden-conserva
tory/Seeds/Veges/auction-297130994.htm

allganic, Jun 17, 10:43am
More here :

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults. aspx? &sear
chType=0004-0375-&searchString=popcorn&x=0&y=0&a
mp;searchregion=100&type=Search&sort_order=&redi
rectFromAll=False&generalSearch_keypresses=3&general
Search_suggested=7

snells, Jun 22, 6:28am
Thank goodness .
Have popped corn for my first son who is now 22yrs.
Have recently rekindled the habit with 3yr old son.
What a total failure. don`t remember it being this hard. what a relief to read all comments . So which is the best Popcorn to buy. Thanks

elliehen, Jun 22, 8:44am
Well, not sure what the best is, but I did buy a generic brand called 'Value Pack' after the Sun Valley disaster, and it popped well.

snells, your three-year-old might like the party trick I saw at a pre-school in the US. A large clean sheet was spread on the floor with an electric frypan in the middle, and the children in a circle (not too close) around it. The lid was left off the frypan and as the corn popped, it landed in front of the children (mostly) and much fun was had by all.

With careful supervision, and an explanation of what was going to happen, no child was harmed in the exercise :)

snells, Jul 8, 3:51am
Thankyou I love that Idea. I have just bought some more popcorn .