How do you make your own popcorn?

bedge1, Apr 9, 4:30am
I dont like the microwave stuff & it can befairly hard to get the loose popping corn. Has anyone made their own & if so... ... ... ... . how do you do it? Dehydrate it & do something to it? ? ? ? ? ? ?

barloo, Apr 9, 4:35am
buy a popcorn maker! ! Supermarkets sell it in packs or "pick ya own" section. Or you can try bin inn.

Before I had a popcorn maker, I would add enough to cover the bottom of the pot with some butter and cook over a low to meduim heat without taking off the lid, wait till you hear no more popping. Careful as it can burn. Also use a HEAVY based pot! !

bedge1, Apr 9, 4:39am
Hi. No... ... ... ... I didnt mean that. I meant can you make it like you buy it in its dried kernnel state, so that you can then put it in pot or popcorn maker.

frag, Apr 9, 4:56am
you can grow your own corn suitable for popping. i think you just let it dry naturally on the cob. It is different than sweetcorn though so make sure you're growing the right stuff!

gavin166, Apr 9, 5:01am
yup - apparently normal maize we eat off the cob doesn't have the air in it needed to make the kernel explode.
Popcorn is easy - slosh of oil (like ricebran with high smoke point) corn and a pot with a lid. I toss through a blob of butter and salt while its still hot.

anndi7, Apr 9, 6:05am
I do my popcorn in my wok. When you put the oil in add some sugar & it will dissolve, then when yourve finished popping the corn - add some salt. I know this sounds odd - but it gives the popcorn a kinda sweet/salty flavour. I have watched them make it at markets here in Aust & it turns out really yummo.

barloo, Apr 9, 6:59am
we grew "popcorn" this year for the pigeons.

Just make sure you by popcornand not sweetcorn or maize.

bedge1, Apr 9, 7:11am
Cool thanks. Thats what I needed to know. I know how to cook or pop the popcorn... ... ... . . lol. thanks.

doug57, Apr 9, 7:16am
But did you know. . that the most DELICIOUS popcorn is the one that is tossed in melted butter and then liberally sprinkled with parmesan cheese [the powdery one]. . I tell ya, it is DIVINE! . . but oh so more-ish!

rayce2005, Apr 14, 8:37am
I usually put some butter in the pot with popcorn on the stove on medium heatit will start popping in few seconds.

natalie9, Jan 31, 10:47am
Ooh I'm going to try that! ! !