How on earth did I go wrong with a crockpot?

Page 2 / 2
fisher, Jun 14, 4:52am
obviously you dont know how to use your crockpot for best results seeing you ONLY used it 4 times. . :}} LOL. . Oven uses dry heat, crockpot heat and steam... If you want it pink, then oven is best for you for controlled cooking whereas crockpot when used to its best, can be left to its own resources. . FYI, I never do roasts. . that's the domain for the oven. . stews, soups, corned beef and chops etc in mine.
Yes , my microwave is used to reheat things and seldom used. . occasionally a "part" defrost. . One appliance that I can do without. .
These are just my opinions of course... :}

fisher, Jun 14, 4:54am
What a load of bollocks... so you put all your stew ingredients in your La cruset , lid on and cook it. . what do you think you do with a crockpot. . same thing. . :}}All that flavour in the crockpot runs away to where exactly ? ? ? ? :}

pickles7, Jun 14, 5:05am
you should have turned it ON. silly billy
I put everything into mine turn it on high to get it hot, turn onto low and walk out of the house. On returning 6-9 hours later everything is perfect. Wouldn't be without mine now.

fifie, Jun 14, 5:05am
Buzzy each to their own, 20 years ago when i first got my crockpot, i used it about 4 times then it sat in the cellar about 18 years never used. Hated it, food was oh so bland, all because i didn't know how to use it properly. Now i'm retired and have had time to experiment with the resurgence of this appliance i love it, mine sits on the bench all winter gets used for stews, puddings, baking loaves, cooking all the chooks, lots of beef, hogget and mutton pieces of meat and its ideal for all the cheaper cuts of meat as well. My theory is everything has to be browned and sealed in a hot pan to get the flavours going then add the right spices, herbs, and seasonings lastly for your taste. If i want a piece of rare meat well naturally one would do it in the oven not in a crockpotwhen it will be nice and tender common sense really... .

buzzy110, Jun 14, 5:10am
Perhaps you are right fisher. However, why would I bother learning to cook with a crock pot when I can do as carriebradshaw does and use my wonderful Dinerite pots? These will turn out a totally succulent and tender stew inside of 1:15 to 1:30hrs. I don't have to fiddle about precooking my spuds and remembering to put them in at some pre-defined time before I want to eat. Nor do I have to brown and saute all my meat and vegetable flavourings, make up a stock based liquid, then pour it all into the crock, put on high, then remember to come back and turn it down at some pre-ordained time so that it cooks right then wash up my cooking pots.

I just use the one pot to do all of that stuff, and because I can use my timer I know exactly when to add other vegetables. What's more there is no guess work. I know exactly how my meal will come out and exactly what time it will appear on the dinner table. I also know that it will be piping hot, instead of maybe just lukewarm.

The only time I'd bother to use a different pan to saute and brown is when I use my tagine and no way can a crock pot even come close to the flavours and finished product of a tagine.

buzzy110, Jun 14, 5:17am
Like I said, it was just MY OPINION and poster #1 can do all the experimenting she likes and ignore me completely.

Carrie and I will probably continue on doing what we know is best for us. I am glad to know a fellow traveller carrie.

Friends I stay with reckon they have their crock down to a fine art but boy I have had some horrible meals out of their crock pot because mostly everything is lukewarm and even with spices, tasteless by my standards. I just have to sit there and eat their vile offerings with a smile on my face and a lie on my lips.

fisher, Jun 14, 5:23am
Buzzy My comment was said. . tongue in cheek. . but if you have a method that works, great. . sure my way takes a little more effort and "standover"but if anyone tries it. . the results are extremely good. . Just trying to help those asking the questions for what they are using. . :}
I only use mine for selected foods which have given great results previously. . Fifie's comment'My theory is everything has to be browned and sealed in a hot pan to get the flavours going then add the right spices, herbs, and seasonings lastly for your taste. " is exactly one the nail... .
lazy people will get lazy results... and shove em in the cupboard and say... "well that things shite"hahahahahaa.

rainrain1, Jun 14, 5:24am
Try slicing your potatoes and onions up thinly and place on the bottom of pot, then your meat and sauces etc(carrots are hopeless)Cook on HIGH

pickles7, Jun 14, 5:26am
That wouldn't be very often then would it buzzy.

buzzy110, Jun 14, 5:40am
I certainly hope you aren't alluding that I am a lazy cook fisher. I am a brilliant cook and while not a recipe kind of gal, I do understand processes very well, which, IMO (again) is what makes good cooks into great cooks.

What I also understand is taste. I am someone who can tell the difference between the levels of sweetness, heat, saltiness, etc in my foods. I can also tell the difference between succulence and tender but dry. Therefore, no matter how carefully I, or someone else cooks with their crockpot it will never, ever meet my discerning tastes.

One other thing, what it does to the taste of foods with commercially prepared tomato paste or sauces fair makes my mouth pucker in disgust.

All I would use it for is to reheat an already made soup or similar.

fisher, Jun 14, 5:49am
Sure no probs... I think folks want them for convenience and for "their' wants and needs for busy mothers etc, it suits very well. . they give excellent results for "their" tastes. . I use mine for specific dishes... its never seen tomato sauces or cans of tomatoes because that's not my
bag... Do it your way. . let them do it theirs. . I'm just trying to HELP make "theirs" taste better for a little extra effort. . because they asked. . oks. . :}}

buzzy110, Jun 14, 5:52am
fisher your advice was brilliant, but I felt that I should have been allowed to give my opinion and advice as well without being jumped upon. I know I differ in my opinions to most others, but simply because I do differ, should that not add to the sum total of everyone's knowledge?

fisher, Jun 14, 5:57am
Just something else to remember. . Long slow cooking leaches out the vitamins of the vegetables. . hence why I par boil and add closer to the end of cooking time. . also elevates that hard crust on the vege outer that you get over long cooking times. .

fisher, Jun 14, 6:01am
buzzy, I agree totally. . as I said above, it was said tongue in cheek and all methods should be pursued to proffer the best result for the OP for the question asked. .
" How on earth did I go wrong with a """crockpot? """

lillian12, Jun 14, 6:19am
Thanks everyone for your ideas, opinions experience etc... . All I know is I did exactly as the recipe stated so it's either the crockpot may be faulty or its me lol :PI'm gunna give it another go however! Funnily enough - leftovers were reheated in the microwave for lunch and it was beautiful - tender meat and perfect veggies... maybe it just needed that extra nuking? ? Thanks again everyone:)

biker_69, Jun 14, 7:41am
TotaL CRAPPOLA. I almost always cook rare withmine - pink and bloody. And even when I want it median/well done it still comes out moist and tender.

carriebradshaw, Jun 14, 7:51am
Well obviously Buzzy and I are the only ones who aren't fans of the slow cooker. Surely we are allowed to have our opinions. Isnt that what forums is all about?

Buzzy, totally agree with everything you said and it's nice to know there's somebody else out there who thinks the same.

uli, Jun 14, 8:41am
You cook "rare pink and bloody" in a CROCK POT?
Now how do you do that I wonder?
Care to enlighten us heathens ? ? ?

biker_69, Jun 14, 10:17am
Next time I do one (probably Saturday) I'll post a picture here. It's no trouble at all. You just don't cook it so long! LOL. Topside beef about 6 hours on HIGH or 8 hours on LOW.

pickles7, Aug 6, 2:03am
easy as, if you are worth anything as a cook
. rare, med rare, done and well done .