Question to those who knows one or two things..

leobreaker, Dec 18, 6:57pm
. . about Juice. I was wondering how LONG I can keep the juice (obviously stored in fridge) I've made from a juice extractor/juicer comprising of many veggies and fruits. And what is the best way to keep them? (if you answer involves a container of any sort, tell me where i can get them). All inputs welcome!

jag5, Dec 18, 8:00pm
I would suggest only 2-3 days. Freeze the rest. I just use plastic jugs, or if you have a large glass bottle, use that. I think glass is better for storage of juices.

leobreaker, Dec 18, 8:32pm
Yes that's what I thought as well. Anyone used jam jars?

bluecalico, Dec 18, 8:32pm
The quality of the juice will deteriorate quickly... . any health benefit will be lost if not used immediately. I wouldn't store it at all personally.

buzzy110, Dec 18, 8:59pm
Depends whether you have used one of those high speed juicers with a sort of grater type juicing screen. If you have used one of those then your juice should be made fresh when you want to drink it as it heats up during the process and nutrients begin to deteriorate almost immediately. If you are using a masticating type juicer (Oscar, compact, etc) which are slow but efficient then your juice will hold its nutrients for up to 48 hours.

However, I still make my vegetable and wheat grass juice fresh and drink when I have cleaned up the equipment. I store mine in those big containers that come with stick blenders. For some reason I have four and they all come with handy lids, when I make citrus juice for storing.

One other tip. If you are using a 'grass' juicer then the very best wheat to grow is Triticale. For some unknown reason, it has a sweetish, aniseedy type flavour and is quite delicious. It definitely can even be drunk on its own, without any other juices to mask the flavour.

leobreaker, Dec 18, 9:12pm
Oh wow, didn't know they would deteriorate like that. Yes I just got a Sunbeam 8900JE, which is the high speed sort. I made 1L of juice yesterday and drank it all at once LOL. Then I thought, mmm, it's a bit much. Thanks for the tip, i"ll keep that in mind.

@buzzy: Where can i get wheat grass?

buzzy110, Dec 19, 1:30am
I grow my own but I have seen it for sale in Huckleberry Farms shops. So you might like to check out your own health food type shop in your part of NZ (wherever that is).

buzzy110, Dec 19, 1:32am
One more thing. Apart from Triticale, grass juice is vile and, unless you are a cow, you will find it really hard to swallow. It is best juiced with other fruit and vegetables. I like a mixture of apples, carrots, celery and beetroot

male_timaru, Dec 19, 10:30am
How is that case if Charlie's Orange ok for 1-2 weeks?

It is afterall JUST 100% Squashed/Juiced Oranges! ! ! !

LOL

racheee, May 28, 9:58pm
I am pretty sure they add Vit C to their juice too.

kirinesha, May 28, 10:38pm
Many fruit juices are heat treated and also have extra Vitamin C added to extend shelf life and prevent discolouration.

pickles7, Jun 15, 11:04pm