Help! Want a very thin anzac crunchy biscuit...

nova40, May 24, 9:16pm
Biscuit. . Does anyone know how much more Golden Syrup I would put in the mixture to make them very thin and crunchy and large... Had one in the weekend and she said it was the old receipe from the first edmonds book but with more Golden Syrup? ? ? ? ?

thak, May 24, 9:26pm
yumm that sounds nice i use this recipe to make a slice add a few walnuts press into slice tin and ice with lemon icing yummy too

nova40, May 24, 9:37pm
Yummy that sounds nice too... :-)

pam.delilah, May 24, 9:43pm
here is an Anzac Almost Biscuits by Alison Holst

For really crisp biscuits, cook them a little longer. For softer, slightly chewy biscuits, cook them less. To keep the crisp biscuits crisp, keep them in an airtight container
For 35 - 50 biscuits:
Ingredients
• 100g butter
• ¼ cup golden syrup
• 1 tsp vanilla
• a few drops of almond essence, optional
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 cup rolled oats
• 1 cup desiccated coconut or extra rolled oats
• 1 cup standard plain flour
• ½ tsp baking soda dissolved in 2 Tbsp warm water
Method
Heat oven to 170 C or 160 C Fanbake, with a rack in the centre of the oven. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Use measuring cups and level measures for good results.
Heat the butter until melted, in a fairly large microwave-proof bowl, or in a fairly large pot on the stove. Add the golden syrup and essence(s) and stir until combined. Mix well.
Add everything else in the order given, stirring between additions.
For large biscuits shape level measuring spoons of mixture. For smaller biscuits roll smaller balls, then flatten them.
Allow space between biscuits for baking. (When the first tray is filled, put it in to cook while you shape the remaining biscuits on another piece of baking paper. )
Cool on a rack until cold and firm, then store in airtight containers.

red2, May 24, 9:57pm
I like to add into the mixture a handful of pumpkin and sunflower seeds too

nova40, May 24, 10:06pm
Thanks so much I will be trying these out when I get home... :-)The ones I had were very crisp and flat then she drizzled melted chocolate on top of them.

nova40, May 24, 10:13pm
Would I really flatten these out to get large flat biscuits? ? ? ?

nova40, May 24, 10:14pm
Sorry also how long to cook for? ? 15-20 mins? ?

pam.delilah, May 24, 10:28pm
Bake for about 15 minutes, until evenly golden brown. While biscuits are warm, lift them onto a cooling rack. When cold, store in an airtight container.
yes flatten them out
drizzle meltedchocolate over the top when cold.
Variations:
Add 1 cup of chopped roasted peanuts or 1 cup of chopped walnuts before adding sugar. Replace coconut with an extra cup of rolled oats.

hope this help and do make them. Do one tray first, in regard to crunchiness and time in oven, Pam

nova40, May 24, 10:35pm
Thanks Pam... will try them out this afternoon my kids will love them :-)

cookessentials, May 25, 12:13am
1 cup (90g) rolled oats
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1 cup (200g) firmly packed brown sugar
½ cup (45g) desiccated coconut
125g butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 tablespoon water
½ teaspoon baking soda

Combine oats, sifted flour, sugar and coconut in large bowl. Combine butter, golden syrup and the water in small saucepan. Stir constantly over medium heat until butter is melted; stir in soda. Stir mixture into dry ingredients.

Place rounded teaspoons of mixture 5cm apart on lightly greased oven trays; bake in moderately slow oven about 20 minutes or until biscuits feel slightly firm. Use spatula to loosen biscuits on trays; cool on trays.

Quotecookessentials (1028 )2:51 pm, Thu 6 May #3

elliehen, Jun 6, 1:59am
I find that if you omit the coconut, the biscuits are flatter and crisper - taste better too :)