How long does cooked rice last in the fridge?

susievb, Mar 8, 6:33am
If I cooked some brown rice, waited till cold, put in sealed individual serving, and put in the fridge - how long would the last of it last?

awoftam, Mar 8, 8:02am
Given how cheap it is, and how fast to cook, I personally don't store.

However everything I have seen on google says 3 days, max. Not sure about cooling it first tho?

susievb, Mar 8, 8:46am
Thanks for that, 3 days ok now I can plan, as I am on my own can't be bothered cooking brown rice for 30 mins each time over the week.

ruakokopatuna, Mar 8, 8:53am
Freeze it! Defrosts very quickly when needed.

kiwiscrapper1, Mar 8, 8:52pm
I always cook too much so freeze in a bag 1 cup does 2 of us and so easy when coming home frm work not having to cook it

lythande1, Mar 9, 12:52am
Rice left, can cause illness.

rice often contains spores of Bacillus cereus — a bacteria strand that can cause food poisoning — that can survive when rice is cooked.

And if the rice is left standing at room temperature after it's been boiled, the spores can grow into bacteria, which will ultimately multiply and may produce toxins that cause vomiting or diarrhea.

The longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that the bacteria will make the rice unsafe to eat — meaning it's vital that you store your rice at the right way quickly if you're hoping to reheat it later.

First off, serve rice as soon as it's been cooked, and cool any leftovers as quickly as possible. The NHS recommends within an hour, ideally. You can then keep the rice in the fridge (but for no more than one day) before reheating.

It's worth noting you should also check the rice is 'steaming hot' all the way through when you're reheating it, and never attempt to reheat it more than once.

lilyfield, Mar 9, 1:50am
Brown rice I always cook in kilo lots, freeze in single portions and reheat in microwave. So convenient.

rainrain1, Mar 9, 2:09am
I think I ought to be dead!

lidbud, Oct 16, 8:49pm
I generally only keep it for 2 days. If not eaten I throw it out.