Lamb roast cooked all day

lj1422, Dec 24, 6:18am
I'm cooking a leg of lamb tomorrow and I just discovered we have run out of oven cooking bags. If I use the roasting tin and put the lid on is that going to work the same way?
Sorry if this doesn't make sense feeling a bit frazzled with all the cooking and shopping today.

beechee51, Dec 24, 6:43am
I don’t use an oven bag or put a lid on my legs of lamb. I punch holes in top of roast and put in garlic, Rosemary and thyme into them. Season and put in oven with no fan at 150. It takes about three hours and when you see it shrinking away from the end bone and the colour is nice, it should be ready. The flours of the garlic etc make for a nice gravy after removing the fat.

lj1422, Dec 24, 6:45am
Thanks for that info I was starting to panic

valentino, Dec 27, 5:31am
P & S at My Albert and Westgate were selling Lamb Forequarters just before Christmas. Bought 3 but wished I had purchased another 3 as they were all about the $12 to $18 prices.

Cooked two for Christmas and went very quick, even the carver noticed how good it was when plating it.

To me is far better than the leg, just simply no comparison re tastes, textures and general presentation.

I just simply roast them at 185C - 190C after being slightly slashed all over, then a wee bit of salt sprinkled over the lamb plus some Mint Jelly rubbed in. After about 2 hours or so, I then turn it down to 120C for 20 minutes then switched off to rest within the oven for 15 minutes plus.
Yep, very well cooked and the meat is coming off the bone.

Cheers.

mousiemousie, Dec 27, 5:43am
Done this on Christmas Day with a Moroccan rub. Delicious!

poolgirl6, Apr 14, 7:57am
Any tips for cooking a leg of lamb in the oven, at slow temperature. Do I brown it first? Can I cook it too long and end up with dry meat?

molly37, Apr 14, 9:00am
Oh i want to know too. I dont really like Lamb roast much, I've sometimes found it fatty, but Mr Molly got a large leg in the shopping. Is it like pork, slow and low? Any good tip would be welcomed.

whitehead., Apr 14, 9:05am
i would brown it first then salt pepper and dry english mustard it and cook it on a low temp some thing like a 100 deg in an oven bag or on a rack . the meat should fall off the bone . ive not eatten lamb for years i cant stand the smell of it

bisloy, Apr 14, 9:40am
Definitely do NOT brown it first!
I put some garlic cloves, rosemary and a bay leaf and put the lamb on top and about quarter cup water or wine. Pepper and salt it and cover with tin foil.
Put in a 120 degree oven until done - depending how done you like it.
Enjoy

poolgirl6, Apr 14, 10:09am
Sounds yum, thanks

blueviking, Apr 14, 7:12pm
Butterfly it and do it on the BBQ.Much nicer. You can even fry it to everyones individual taste. Lamb should be medium rare at most, but you can't get that in a whole leg, as the closer to the bone the more pink it is.

lythande1, Apr 14, 7:45pm
Mutton should be cooked slow and all day. Lamb does not need that long, slow or not and you risk drying it out and over doing it

illusion_, Apr 15, 10:00pm
use a shoulder, not a leg. you will be very disappointed as to how the leg will dry out. the shoulder has fat to render through retaining moisture and flavour during a long slow cook in an oven

leg can be boned, rolled, vac-packed and slow cooked in a sous-vide, but thats a whole different story

davidt4, Apr 15, 10:21pm
I cooked a shoulder of lamb yesterday. It had been cut into four pieces (bone in), marinated in spices, salt, garlic and lemon juice for two days. I put it into a roasting dish with whole large potatoes and cooked it covered for about seven hours at 140C. The meat was tender and delicious, I took out the more obvious pieces of bone before serving, and we just pulled the meat apart with tongs.

sarahb5, Apr 15, 11:46pm
My leg of lamb (2.3kg) is in the oven in a roasting bag for 4 1/2 hours on 160 - studded with garlic and smothered in lemon juice, olive oil, paprika and oregano. By the time it's cooked the juices in the bag will make the gravy and the lamb will be so tender I will literally be able to pull the bone out cleanly - and the house smells delicious

molly37, Apr 16, 1:19am
Probably why i'm always disappointed. got another leg. not about to waste $35 so hopefully it turns out ok. Maybe wont cook it as long as I had thought.

twindizzy, Apr 16, 1:33am
in a bag

sarahb5, Apr 16, 1:48am
I got mine for free - son's girlfriend's Christmas gift from the meatworks - has been in the freezer since then in anticipation of everyone being here for Easter - chocolate is a big draw card!

samanya, Apr 16, 3:03am
slightly OT, but is that what one pays for a leg of lamb? *yikes*
I'm so out of touch with sheep meat prices!

smallwoods, Apr 16, 3:15am
Cook it using an internal thermometer as a guide.
Poke it in the meatiest part away from the bone.

davidt4, Apr 16, 3:42am
The cost of legs of lamb up here seems to vary month by month, maybe because most are exported so the local market is a price taker. I see medium sized legs priced at anything from $25 to $50. On the other hand the cost of a whole shoulder is always the same when I buy one, $38 - 40.

poolgirl6, Apr 16, 3:50am
Cooked my leg, that's all I had, and sooo delicious. Herbs and spices, rosemary, bayleaves, garlic etc with some stock, wrapped in baking paper, then tin foil. Cooked at 120 mostly all day. Great success. Gravy from the juices. Fell off the bone. No nasty lamb smells in the kitchen like a normal roast of lamb.

samanya, Apr 16, 4:29am
I don't really know what they cost down here, as I don't ever buy them, so don't look at prices, but it seems excessive. Maybe I should value my freezer half full of lamb/hogget more, or it's more likely that I get sick of it.
I actually prefer the shoulder cut, don't know why, maybe it's because it has more fat in it.

samanya, Nov 11, 3:57pm
Brilliant result!