Where to buy corn starch in NZ

lindyjack, Sep 24, 8:01pm
Wanting to purchase corn starch for a window cleaning recipe. Some say it is the same as corn flour but it is not from research I have done.
Corn starch is only the starch derived from maize, whereas corn flour is very finely ground corn meal. Corn meal contains all parts of the ground up dried maize, not just the starch.

lilyfield, Sep 24, 8:07pm
If you want it to dry polish your windows I assure you any starch flour incl potatoe starch will do that

kaddiew, Sep 24, 8:24pm
https://www.ceres.co.nz/products/grocery/ceres-organics/baking-cooking-ingredients/organic-corn-starch/

Any store that sells the Ceres brand, apparently. But how will you know for sure it's the cornstarch you're referring to, when cornflour and cornstarch are so often described as being one and the same?

illusion_, Sep 24, 9:49pm
corn - maize . same thing. that simple. just depends which you were brought up with

punkinthefirst, Sep 25, 4:49am
Maize cornflour

walkerb, Sep 25, 6:49am
x1
Binn In

petal1955, Sep 25, 8:49pm
x1
Damp newspaper is the best window cleaner and its environmentaly friendly !

autumnwinds, Sep 26, 4:49am
Corn flour is indeed finely ground corn.
But cornflour is corn flour, ground more finely (powdered).

** Both are ground corn (maize, as they would have it in Europe). The difference is that corn flour is usually ground to a much finer texture than cornmeal. While in some contexts (such as breading chicken), they can both be used, you will get different textural results **

** Corn starch, cornstarch, cornflour or maize starch or maize is the starch derived from the corn (maize) grain or wheat. The starch is obtained from the endosperm of the kernel. Corn starch is a popular food ingredient used in thickening sauces or soups, and is used in making corn syrup and other sugars.**

Google is your friend.

lindyjack, Sep 28, 1:41am
As per my original thread from google
Corn starch is only the starch derived from maize, whereas corn flour is very finely ground corn meal. Corn meal contains all parts of the ground up dried maize, not just the starch.

lythande1, Sep 28, 3:56am
Corn starch, cornstarch, cornflour or maize starch or maize is the starch derived from the corn (maize) grain. The starch is obtained from the endosperm of the kernel. Corn starch is a popular food ingredient used in thickening sauces or soups, and is used in making corn syrup and other sugars.

Called cornstarch in the United States and Canada.
Although not a flour as such, called cornflour in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Israel and some Commonwealth countries.

Not the same as cornMEAL.

calista, Dec 20, 6:51pm
I would never have guessed it was so complicated.

Lilyfield, thanks for mentioning potato flour. I bought a heap from Binn Inn once and I still have a lot left over, so I might try that.