Anyone have a great sweetcorn fritter recipe?

Page 1 / 2
cor.-., Jun 14, 10:29pm
Anyone have a great sweetcorn fritter recipe you're willing to share please? I made a batch from the Edmonds Cookery Book 38th 1995 edition and they were an epic fail - like floury bullets. I've tried a search on here but nothing's come up

pink-dragon, Jun 14, 11:50pm
Here is my favourite. Tis from Alison and Simon Holst kiwi favourites book
2 large eggs, 1/2 cup beer or soda water, Salt and pepper, 1 cu self raising flour , 410g tin whole kernal corn ( can use creamed but fritters are not as fluffy). Optional extras - onion, capsicum and I often add some chopped bacon.
+ Break eggs into bowl and add beer, salt and pepper. Measure in flour and stir just enough for smooth batter.
+ Add corn and any extras mix to just combine.
+ heat oil in pan adn carefully drip spoonfuls of batter into pan cooking in batches 3-5 min each side
+ drain on several layers of paper towel and keep warm in oven
Enjoy :-)

schnauzer11, Jun 15, 5:25pm
I've made my own concoction for years. I use a can of creamed corn, add 2 tbsp of rolled oats, let it sit for 30 mins. Add 2 tbsp flour, 1 tsp baking powder, a little salt, and pepper. The rolled oats help the mixture stay together.

cromergy, Jun 15, 8:13pm
The Edmonds recipe no longer works because of the flour to corn ratio. The cans of corn are now smaller so if you reduce the flour content they will turn out fine.

petal1955, Jun 15, 8:30pm
This is a goodie as it uses very little flour and is not a doughy mixture

Sweet Corn Fritters 

(Off the Watties Can and Edmonds Cookbook) 

1x 410gm Can of Cream style Sweet corn 
1 egg Beaten 
3 Tablespoons Flour 
Salt & Pepper to taste 
1 tablespoon Baking Powder 

Combine the sweet corn, Egg beaten, Salt & Pepper. Sift in flour Baking Powder. Gradually stir well. Cook in tablespoon size fitters. Fry in Butter or oil until Golden Brown & serve.

kaddiew, Jun 15, 8:38pm
If I'm using creamed corn I always throw in the equivalent amount of tinned or frozen corn kernals as well. I want the corn taste and texture to really stand out.

cor.-., Jun 15, 9:07pm
This is great, thanks to all! Once my stomach settles from my concoction the other night I will have another go, but it makes sense between 1995 and 2017 the contents have can have gotten less so add some extra corn kernels and way less flour, I did add spring onions too.

rainrain1, Jun 15, 10:10pm
Three Ingredients Corn Fritters
Ingredients
1 can (400 grams) creamed corn
1 egg
1 cup self-raising flour

Method
1. Mix all the ingredients together. Take care and do not over mix as this will toughen the fritters.
2. Heat a heavy bottomed or non-stick fry pan over a medium heat. Add a little oil or margarine.
3. Add spoonfuls of mixture and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip and cook the other side until golden brown. Turn down the heat a little if the fritters cook too quickly and start to burn.
Notes
Try serving with a spicy dipping sauce - mix together 1/4 cup sweet chilli sauce with 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream.

cleggyboy, Jun 16, 1:18am
Mash in some cooked kumara for an extra flavour and a real filler for a crowd.

daarhn, Jun 16, 7:49am
I think my fritters taste more intense when I use fresh corn that has been on the barby Q or grilled until a little charred first. Then added to the rest of the mix with fresh chilli and coriander, spring onions.

Easy to flip into Thai corn fritters or a Mexican corn fritter at this stage depending on seasoning and spices and dipping sauce.

Adding feta cheese is delish.

milkath, Jun 16, 8:44am
For me the best corn I ever had.
Awhile back the wife wanted deep fried corn, so we thawed frozen corn, she made batter , dipped into batter and may have dusted with flour and then deep fried. not sure how long, but until batter looked brownish or cooked. it the best corn I have ever had. The whole kernels came away from the cob, unlike when cooked in water.

fifie, Jun 19, 6:15am
Best Ever Corn Fritters with Maple Syrup
Can creamed corn, 2eggs beaten, 2 teaspoon baking powder, 2,1/2 cups flour, 1teasp salt, 2 tablesp butter melted, 3/4 cup milk. Oil for frying.
Mix all ing together to make a wettish dough.
Heat oil in deep pan till hot, add small balls of dough and cook through till golden brown, turning after about 3 mins per side. Drain on paper towel, to serve either drizzle with maple syrup, or use Maple syrup as a dipping sauce sauce if you like a sweet taste. Also good with a savoury dipping sauce of your choice. Secret is not to make to big so they cook through. A small scoop is ideal to use so all the same size.

whitehead., Jun 21, 2:03am
i use cornflour and get a crisp fritter . a corn ear rolled in flour is a corndog . you buy them at show grounds in the states

cor.-., Jun 21, 4:02am
Mmmmmm Thai corn fritters, now you're talking! How do I change to that pleases? (and how do they make that sweet dipping sauce, would it be sweet chilli with white vinegar maybe?)

deanna14, Jun 21, 6:58am
I don't use a recipe, but use a tin of creamed corn and a tin or the equivilant of frozen whole kernel, an egg - seperated and white beaten till stiff, self raising flour, always makes lovely light fritters, not stodgy.

hbwayne, Jun 26, 1:40am
I think a US corndog is what we call a hot dog on a stick.

twindizzy, Jun 26, 3:02am
bacon and curry powder for the win

jobb, Jun 26, 5:06am
I use a pikelet recipe without the sugar. Add creamed corn and corn kernels. Let rest for 20-30 mins and then cook like pikelets, so less oily. Always turn out nice and puffy.

cor.-., Jun 26, 5:34am
cheers! thank you

samanya, Jun 26, 10:27pm
I do the same. fold the stiffly beaten egg whites into the mixture at the end & always light, not gluggy.
Works well for white bait fritters as well.

uli, Jul 1, 5:22am
bump for sweetcorn fritters - even if the season ended 3 months ago.

kindajojo, Jul 1, 5:57am
I add a bit of sweet chilli sauce for a bit of a buzz

samanya, Jul 1, 6:45am
So do I . not much but it lifts the flavour, imo.

samanya, Jul 1, 6:46am
Some people have corn in the freezer, though.
I do, home grown & all.

bisloy, Jul 1, 11:11am
For those of us without a green thumb, tinned corn kernals and frozen corn is pretty good. I have made with fresh during the season and I definitely agree it is the best