Do you bake recipes which use cup and spoon

elsielaurie1, Apr 30, 9:40pm
measures? as I have tried converting to metric without success. Why does Edmonds as an example, still publish using cups and spoons as measures? as on their premix bread bakes.

hidecote01, Apr 30, 9:54pm
Google is good at converting things for me.

buzzy110, Apr 30, 9:59pm
Yes. Always. I do not understand why you need to convert to metric when using the cup, spoon or weight specified in the recipe is simple. I have never used a pre-mix anything but I am sure it would be just as simple?

Forgive me if I am missing something and if I am could you explain more fully.

hidecote01, Apr 30, 10:03pm
No I haven't used a premix as well. My sister buys some premix products for scones and muffins and finds them handy to have in the cupboard.

jan2242, Apr 30, 10:45pm
I prefer recipes that sues cups, spoon etc. I find it easier than weighing everything. Could be worse, back in my Nana's day it was a pinch of this, a teacup of that etc. It was impossible to get an exact recipe from her.

amasser, May 1, 1:31am
Metric system has been in New Zealand for 40 years. Time enough to learn and make notes?

rainrain1, May 1, 2:01am
I don't understand why it matters either

hidecote01, May 1, 2:08am
I know it for my cooking. Have done for years.

cgvl, May 1, 3:08am
I do because they are a standard size ie a cup is 250mls, a tsp 5mls. So when baking I use either weight or measure which ever the recipe is written in.
Jan2242 a lot of my recipes have been handed down and they are like your Nana's, a pinch of this, a cup of that, a small tea cup of something else or add milk until such and such consistency.
But then I've been baking for nearly 50 years so a lot of what I make is made by sight and feel and by knowing what goes with what and basically how much of each in proportion, also I love baking so it does make it easier.

marcs, May 1, 7:19am
I use cups and spoons and grams as have measuring cups and measuring spoons and also a digital scale. I just go by whatever the recipe is. It is the American conversions that get to me but have managed to use google to get the correct amounts.

245sam, May 1, 8:19am
elsielaurie1, my understanding is that not everyone has metric or even any kitchen scales, whereas most people would have access to everyday cups and spoons that could be used, if need be, instead of standard measuring cups and spoons e.g. I have an Arcoroc mug that I occasionally use as a 1 cup measure - it is exactly 250ml, same as a standard measuring cup. It's not that I don't have 'all the gear' - I have digital scales that will measure metric and lbs and ozs + all the measuring cups and spoons that anyone could possibly need so IMO recipes are still published in cups and spoons because that is what some people use because they don't have any alternative. I use whatever a recipe is written in. :-))

sarahb5, May 1, 8:42am
I still use the add and weigh method - just wasn’t brought up to cook or bake using cup measurements, always used my scales

rainrain1, May 1, 9:32pm
Just do what the recipe says, . how simple is that to follow,

buzzy110, May 1, 10:45pm
I am not sure elsielaurie but I have just put in the rubbish a book I thought was great when I bought it from the OP shop without scrutinising more thoroughly. All the fat measurements are in cups or spoons. I know the trick is to say, if the recipe calls for half a cup, is to fill a cup half fill with water and add butter. When the water reaches 1 cup, you have half a cup of butter. But what a pain. That means I have to use a two cup measure to get a cup. Or figure out how much water I should add when the recipe states 1/3rd. It is not a biggie but it is a pain so into the rubbish it went.

There are two things in recipes that will cause me to automatically discard any recipe out of hand. The first is if fat is measured in sticks (American) or cups or spoons and the second is anything with self-raising flour which leaves a nasty after-taste and thus, imo, ruins any baking from the outset.

rainrain1, May 1, 10:53pm
If you're meaning butter and solids by the cup measure, then no I wouldn't even bother .

punkinthefirst, May 2, 1:45am
I use whatever terminology the recipe is written in. I have one set of balance scales with imperial weights that my Grandmother bought when she first married in 1910, another smaller set I picked up in an Op shop, a set of digital scales which weighs in imperial and metric weights, and various cups and spoons. So I also collect old cookbooks, which often have the BEST recipes.
Buzzy, it is easy to convert your half-cup and stick measurements to more modern measurements. You only have to do it once and write it down. one stick of butter, by the way, is 4 oz or 1/2 cup or 125 grams. No need to throw away your favourite old cookbooks. and self raising flour is easy to substitute. Just use 1 tsp baking powder plus 1 cup plain flour for every cup of SR flour in your recipe. (sorry, I don't have a conversion handy
for flour).

timturtle, May 2, 10:12am
I don’t bake much now at all but a friend of mine recently said that making the old fashion kiwi fudge biscuit that what was 2 packets of wine biscuits is now really 2 and a half packets as they have reduced the size of the packet to keep the same price

timturtle, Sep 27, 4:46pm
And at work someone had a packet of toffee pops recently I couldn’t believe how small they are ! You wouldn’t want to inhale as you were eating one else you wouldn’t taste it ! No wonder they only $2 bucks a packet and I think there might be only 9 or 10 in a packet but not sure