What is your favourite dukkah recipe?

fibreartist, Oct 5, 3:45am
Have made some & it was nice, but would love to try others that are tried & true, so many options when I search don't know which are good

245sam, Oct 6, 12:12am
This is my/our current fav - an Alison Holst recipe.
DUKKAH (aka Alison’s Dukkah)
For 2 cups of DUKKAH:
½ cup sesame seeds
½ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup blanched almonds
¼ cup cumin seeds
¼ cup coriander seeds
1½ tsp rock salt
1 tbsp ground paprika
1½ tsp ground turmeric

Heat the oven to 180°C. Put the seeds and almonds in to roast, in separate foil dishes and/or pie plates etc., in the order given. We find that the first few take longer than those listed last. Watch carefully, checking them at least every 5 minutes, and take out each container when the seeds have darkened a little (but not a lot) and have an appetising aroma. (As a guide, most will take about 10 minutes, but sesame and sunflower seeds usually take longer.)
Leave to cool, then grind with the salt, paprika and turmeric, in one or two batches in a food processor, using the pulse button. The final mixture should have a grainy texture - it should not be an oily powder.
Store in airtight jars in a cool cupboard. Although it will gradually lose some flavour on long storage, it will taste very good for up to 3 months. :-))

wendalls, Oct 7, 4:20am
Do you use it for things other than bread and olive oil dip? I guess it could be a topping on vege dishes? Or meat for that matter. yumm.

245sam, Dec 18, 12:02pm
wendalls, yes I have used dukkah "for other things" such as a topping for vegetables, sprinkling on salads and as a crumb coating for chicken or fish. Here's the info' that accompanied Alison Holst's recipe at #2.

"Dukkah is a highly flavoured mixture of nuts and spices which originated in ancient Egypt. The crushed (but not powdered) mixtures were traditionally made to suit the tastes of its makers, and were served in shallow bowls. Pieces of good, firm, crusty bread were dipped in olive oil, then Dukkah, and eaten as a snack or meal.
Alison’s Dukkah mixture is delicious used in this way and also ‘makes a ‘Very Easy’ last minute flavouring for salads, soups, and plainly cooked vegetables, for a couple of months after it is initially made.
Note: Sprinkle Dukkah over potatoes, green beans, or other cooked vegetables which would be improved by its added colour, flavour and texture. Sprinkle on cubed or sliced raw tomato or cucumber for an easy salad." :-))