My crockpot method sucks - all help welcome!

So I made lamb shanks in the crock pot on Sunday - used a McCormick's slow cooker packet mix which said 2 cans of tomatoes - and the shanks ended up in a load of liquid, nicely cooked and tender but with no taste of the packet mix. This often happens and it drives me up the wall - even if I cook from scratch - any tips? Recipes also welcome! The most successful thing I've made to date in it is macaroni cheese.

Chef_nicwil, Jun 6, 8:49 am

Do you add extra liquids, i.e. water? I have found that often washes the flavour. I don't like the crockpot mixes as I also find them flavourless.
I add dry soup mixes for preference, gravy mix, condensed soup and stock cubes for flavour. It is very important to adjust the seasoning toward the end of the cooking.

Chef_bisloy, Jun 6, 9:26 am

We like ours simply slow roasted without all that extra gut rot. lol, either in the oven or in the crockpot. Lay them on a bed of chopped onions in your crockpot, add a tblsp or two of water, salt and pepper if you want, and just let them cook away

Chef_rainrain1, Jun 6, 8:58 pm

Garlic
Onion
Stock
Tinned toms
Wine
Sugar
Thyme
Carrot
Celery

Chef_twindizzy, Jun 6, 9:34 pm

Rub shanks with little oil crushed garlic sp, brown in a hot pan.Slice onions lay on bottom of crockpot put shanks on top, drizzle some mint sauce on top lid on and cook. Dinner time remove, put onions juices in a saucepan and make a gravy.

Chef_fifie, Jun 6, 10:25 pm

I use that packet mix every now and then and only ever put in one can of tomatoes. I also thicken up the liquid about half an hour before serving with either a cornflour paste or sometimes flaked potato.

Chef_342, Jun 7, 12:04 am

Packets are generally rubbish anyway. Buy stock, herns etc yourself.
Don't use so much liquid, 2 cans is a lot really.

Chef_lythande1, Jun 7, 1:27 am

And a sprig or two of Rosemary.

Chef_rainrain1, Sep 5, 6:48 pm

Share this thread