What's your 'go to' recipe

Page 1 / 2
muffin2, Apr 15, 12:17am
that you can just make off the top of your head with no measurements needed and no recipe?

Mine is scones and beef goulash

years ago when I met my wife I made scones from the Edmonds book and they were small lumpy things that were very hard - so I made it my mission to make good scones, and my wife says I make the best
Cheese are my favourite and I also make date / sultana scones.
I can go it with my eyes closed almost!

about 6yrs ago in Chch wife saw Beef Goulash recipe on TV, so I downloaded it and make it regularly - especially now winter is coming!

westward1, Apr 15, 12:41am
If only mine would cook something, I wouldn't mind what, whether it be scones or goulash, just something to give me a break.

mrsvonflik, Apr 15, 1:00am
Hi muffin2 how about sharing your goulash recipe,Haven't had a decent goulash for years,

lythande1, Apr 15, 1:30am
Real Gulyás

Gulyás (known as goulash to non-Hungarians), Hungarian paprika-spiked beef soup.
5 medium onions, diced
2½ teaspoons salt
2½ liters (2½ quarts) water, plus a few extra spoonfuls
3 tablespoons Hungarian paprika (yes it is different to Spanish)
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
1½ kg (3¼ lbs) beef, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 large potatoes, cubed
2 tomatoes, diced (No it does NOT have cans of tomato in it, or even more tomatoes than this, the red colour is primarily from the paprika)

Heat r lard in a large pot. Add the onions Cook slowly over very low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the onions are clear and glassy.
Remove from the heat and add the paprika, pepper, and caraway seeds.
Add the meat cook over high heat, stirring, until the meat is slightly browned (about ten minutes). Turn the heat down to low, add water, tomatoes and potatoes and cook until they are tender Taste the soup and add more salt and pepper, if needed.

Traditionally my mum served with a dollop of sour cream on it, but I skip that as I loathe sour cream.

sampa, Apr 15, 1:31am
Yes, please do. I make a pork one but beef would make a nice change and I'm not convinced I can just swap one meat for the other. some of the seasonings in the pork one might not suit beef.

lilyfield, Apr 15, 4:28am
I only ever use recipes for very difficult cakes.Everything else I cook is off the cuff.

gaspodetwd, Apr 15, 5:18am
Cupcakes, fatless sponge and caramelised Apple pie.
Beef stew, potato bake.

petal1955, Apr 15, 6:07am
Would have to be Lambs Fry and Bacon and Gravy. Lambs Fry cut in stroganoff style strips.,,,,,,,flash fried. with gravy and bacon and Mashed potatoes with sour cream and garlic butter and Silverbeet fresh from the garden. Good Old Fashioned Home Cooking

family007, Apr 18, 8:14am
I do the lambs fry and bacon, adding mushrooms as well.
Savoury mince on toast always a favourite!

awoftam, Apr 18, 8:54am
I have a chicken and dumpling recipe that tastes awesome and has people looking for more when I cook it. So easy - thanks Gwenyth Paltrow!

esther-anne, Apr 18, 11:14am
westward1 wrote:
If only mine would cook something, I wouldn't mind what, whether it be scones or goulash, just something to give me a break.[/quotI

I empathise - though mine can do lovely omelletes otherwise it's sausages chips poached eggs boiled eggs etc etc. He believes these are 'meals'.

After 60 years of marriage one would think there is more - but there isn't! I too am sick of having to choose what we eat each night, making sure it's nutritious and delicious, shopping for ingredients, and cooking whatever I come up with. Sometimes I think that having to decide what we have is worse than making it. I am so weary of cooking but so anxious that at our ages we get what is good.

OK - have to be grateful for the other good stuff in a 60 year marriage!

esther-anne, Apr 18, 11:32am
Forgot to mention my 'go to' recipe - a Vietnamese curry!

motorbo, Apr 18, 7:09pm
gosh everything I make I can make without a recipe, its when I try something new that is a recipe I need it, years ago I realised all that processed crap was costing me money and wasn't good for me so I learnt about the flavours I liked and how to mix them up, e.g Mexican seasoning . i used to use kidney beans and make my own vege mix for nachos/tacos then i started to make my own baked beans so now i use them instead in my mix, not authentic but my tummy doesn't mind :)
what i am impressed with is when someone perfects scones - i do not make good scones .

valentino, Apr 18, 9:20pm
Spot on re thoughts in general of coming from the mind.

Recipes that contain a list of ingredients is mainly a reminder of what to have or use, this is the key in assisting doing things yourself.

The method is only a guide on how one sees it but it is yourself on how you see it yourself in doing it even by tasting. Best way of doing cooking and your mind and tastes assists greatly.

Noted the first few words of Poster 1.

Cheers

magenta, Apr 19, 3:24am
Manky Fruit Tart (might be more elegantly called Fruit Crumble Tart)
This recipe uses up the fruit in the bowl that nobody wants to eat!
Chefs can turn away now if they like.
2cups flour (can take some out and add custard powder or coconut)
1sp baking powder
1 cup sugar
180-200g butter
1 egg
can also add orange/lemon/lime zest and a bit of juice if liked
Put all above in food processor and bitz till it starts to come together
Put half in bottom of ring tin( one with removable base) and press down. I use a 23-25cm one.
If using up pears just peel and cut them into large dice. Same for granny smith apples - I use about 4 medium sized apples or pears
If using other apples I usually put cut them into slices and cook in a frypan with a bit of water till they soften and add some maple syrup and walnuts if I have them.
Place on base and crumble remaining mixture on top patting it down a bit.
You could use fresh berries in this or tinned boysenberries( drain them first) and also Feijoas. I sometimes cut up chunks of dark chocolate and sprinkle over if using pears
Then cook for around 30 mins at 180. Topping should be lightly golden. Time can vary depending on filling. Serve as a dessert warm, or allow to cool and can be sliced as a cake.

herself, Apr 19, 4:21am
Would you share the recipe? Please and Thank you :-)

rarogal, Apr 19, 4:43am
Mines a chicken and mushroom casserole. I know it off pat and it's quick and easy, not to mention loved by everyone in my family.

CHICKEN AND MUSHROOM CASSEROLE
Ingredients

1 cooked chicken
1 cup cream
1 cup milk
1 pkt mushroom soup
2 cups mushrooms
2 Tbsp sherry (optional)
1 tsp curry powder
Salt and Pepper

Method

Turn oven on to 180 degrees.
Shred cooked chicken and place in casserole dish.
Put cream, milk and mushroom soup in to a pot and bring to boil. Simmer until sauce thickens.
Chop mushrooms and add to sauce, with sherry (optional) and curry powder.
Pour over chicken and season with salt and pepper.
Bake in oven for 30 mins or until steaming hot.
Serve with rice, pasta, mashed potatoes or potato bake. Also makes a good filling for a pie.

samanya, Apr 19, 6:14am
Risotto is my 'go to'.
It's for 'I can't be faffed cooking' nights . & so variable.

kiwisportsgirl, Apr 19, 9:37am
Mine is a easy peasy Chocolate Coconut Slice recipe done in dusted no time at all.

esther-anne, Apr 19, 10:15am
With pleasure, herself:

Vietnamese chicken curry - serves 6
• 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
• 2 large potatoes, skinned,and chopped into medium sized cubes
• Small kumara, peeled and chopped “ “ “
• 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into sticks
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, minced. Or substitute with zest of one or two lemons.
• 2 stalks celery, chopped
• I also add whatever other veges I have – sliced green beans, thin slices of any coloured capsicum, courgette, florets of broccoli – all very nice. Add them according to the length of time to simmer until still slightly crisp
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 can coconut milk/cream
• 1 cup chicken stock (home made or stock cube)
• 1 teaspoon pepper
• 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
• Fresh crusty French bread or soft rye bread, sliced,for dipping
• 2 tablespoons Indian or good curry powder
• Chilli flakes - a shake or tw0
• Basmati/long grain rice for serving, however you like it cooked.
Directions: Heat oil in large pot and saute onions and garlic gently until onions are clear, not browned. Add the chicken and continue cooking for a few minutes Add the curry powder, chilli flakes and salt , stir well and sauté gently together for a few minutes. Add chicken stock, simmer until chicken is almost tender. Add coconut milk or cream Add the potatoes, kumara and carrots simmer gently until veges are softening and then add any other veges you are using. Garnish with chopped parsley or a little chopped coriander before serving in bowls. Serve with crusty French bread or serve with rice.
Vietnamese is traditionally a mild curry but we have a preference for hot curries so I use hot curry powder and hot chilli flakes.
You can use chicken pieces with the bones still in – thighs etc – we prefer boneless breast - the above is the basic recipe which I have taken from 2 or three others and come up with what we like.
The ‘cheats’ way: - buy a sachet of Asian Gourmet’s Vietnamese Chicken Curry which makes the whole thing very simple. It is a mild paste so for ourselves I still also use the hot chilli flakes and hot curry powder. It is not as daunting to prepare as recipe appears - it’s quite simple, quick and delicious
Re lemongrass - someone here may know if you can get that in a jar as I see they can in Australia!

And having printed that recipe I can add that I now never use it - it's so simple just to make without referring to a recipe.

buzzy110, Apr 19, 11:22pm
Just about all my savoury foods I can cook without a recipe. With DavidT4's recipes I find I need to follow the recipe or I miss out stuff or do things in the wrong order.

When it comes to baking I almost ALWAYS follow the recipe and anally so. I measure and weight precisely. That means leveling off measuring spoons and cups and weighing carefully.

The only baking recipe I can do off the top of my head is my favourite sourdough bread and when the urge to make bread strikes I always make at least one loaf of this recipe, no matter what other breads or buns I might be making. Even though dough texture is dependent on temperature, types of flours, viscosity of the oil, how much starter I've got and even how old it is, etc, I still measure precisely then add in what is necessary to get the right consistency. I only add in because it is impossible to take away. So if the dough is too dry I add water and if it is too sticky I add flour but it is all done by feel and experience.

herself, Apr 20, 6:14am
Thank you esther-anne. Your recipe for Vietnamese curry looks delicious and I am going to make it soon! I grow my own lemongrass so that is no problem for me.

motorbo, Apr 20, 6:55am
I recently heard its very easy, can I ask how you grow yours?

esther-anne, Apr 20, 7:01am
Yes please - me too, herself - I would love to know how to grow it! TIA

herself, Apr 20, 7:17am
A girlfriend gave me a small pot that had about 6 plants in it and I just put the whole lot into a very large pot and it has just grown like Topsy. I pull off a few stems as required and it just keeps on growing and multiplying. Maybe we have the right conditions of weather/temperature here in Papamoa/Tauranga. I have seen it in pots in the herb section of some garden centres here in the BOP, so it is readily available to plant.