Caramel Oat slice

bubbles22222, Aug 30, 8:38am
Can it be frozen successfully or would it thaw on the soggy side?

sarahb5, Aug 30, 10:21am
Would love a tried and true recipe for this if anyone would care to share - had a delicious one at a function last week

turtlet, Aug 30, 9:50pm
The one in the Great NZ Cookbook is great. If you don't have that you can find it by searching New World caramel oat slice. And the Pukeko Junction one is good as well.

sarahb5, Aug 30, 10:12pm
Found the pukeko junction one online - I have caramel condensed milk - do you think I could just use that and leave out some or all of the golden syrup for the topping? I suppose there's really only one way to find out isn't there!

cookessentials, Aug 31, 3:10am
I have never frozen it, but I would hazard a guess that it may not be suitable for freezing.

245sam, Sep 1, 8:30am
Although I haven't made it for quite a while I have successfully used the following recipe:-

CARAMEL OAT SLICE
Filling:
50g butter
1 tbsp golden syrup
¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
Place all the ingredients into a saucepan and heat until the butter has melted and the ingredients are well mixed. Cool.

Base:
175g butter
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1½ cups flour
½ cup rolled oats

Cream the butter and sugar, then add and mix in the vanilla essence, then the flour and rolled oats. Mix well, then press two-thirds of the mixture into a greased 30cm x 20cm tin.
Spread the filling over the base and sprinkle the remaining base mixture over the filling.
Bake at 180ºC for 30-35 minutes.
Cut when cool.

I have not tried freezing this slice but I have very successfully frozen Caramel Crumble which is very like Tan Fingers. :-))

sarahb5, Sep 1, 8:37am
This is the recipe I used - absolutely delicious

http://www.nzwomansweekly.co.nz/food/recipes/caramel-oat-slice/

lynja, Sep 1, 6:41pm
yes I have frozen it successfully.

maynard9, Nov 20, 12:15am
Me too - icing may be a tad softer but apart from that it was perfect. If I planned to freeze it again I might put more icing sugar in to compensate.