Chocolate Cake recipie

anne1955, Oct 28, 7:18am
Chocolate Cake I had a recipe and seem to have lost it :(( grrrrrrrrr was made with boiling water oil and looked like soup when one poured it into pan use to make a roasting dish size and was so easy and remember thinking first time I made it, it's far too wet and will not work. Did and it was yummy how I have misplaced recipe is beyond me. Must have given main copy to some one :(( Anyone know the one I mean was around as a big thing just over a year ago? Thanks

unknowndisorder, Oct 28, 7:40am
"I make this once a week makes a small rosat pan size cake

3.5 c flour
3.5 c sugar
3 t/s Baking powder
1.5 c cocoa
1 cup oil
2 cups milk
3 t/s baking soda
1 t/s salt
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups of boiling water (added at end)

Put all ingredients (except for the water) in a large bowl mix well to a batter. add boiling water and mix till smooth bake in the over at 160 for 1hr. you can split the mix and make two smaller cakes or make 1 smaller cake and put the rest into muffin tins the choice is completely up to you. this is an excellent cake if you have a large family or just want to impress people. gets moister by the day so stays nice and fresh very simular to mud cake.
Quote hooksie60 (129 ) 2:27 pm, Thu 29 Oct #1"

anne1955, Oct 28, 7:52am
Almost most sounds like it I'll try it tomorrow Thanks

unknowndisorder, Oct 28, 8:00am
cookessentials wrote:
Mels Secret Chocolate Cake Recipe 2 Cups of water 3 Cups of caster sugar 250gm butter 1/3 Cup cocoa 1 teaspoon of baking soda 3 Cups of self raising flour 4 eggs lightly beaten Combine water, sugar, butter ,cocoa, & soda in a large pot. Stir over medium heat without boiling until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 5 minutes uncovered. Cool for 10 minutes. Mix in flour and eggs and beat til smooth. Pour into a lined roasting dish and bake for 50 minutes at 160c. Check at 40 minutes. Stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.

melissa411 (223 ) 8:06 pm, Tue 9 Feb #2

:-)

elliehen (4325 ) 1:03 pm, Sun 21 Apr #2
I have a very similar one which is smaller, from an old cookbook. It is a 1970s New Zealand Woman's Weekly recipe.

BOILED CHOCOLATE CAKE
1 & 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup water
100 gms butter
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking SODA
2 eggs
1 & 1/2 cups flour
1 & 1/2 raised teaspoons baking POWDER

Place sugar, water, butter, cocoa & baking SODA into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until butter has melted

Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes

When cool, mix in beaten eggs & flour sifted with baking POWDER

Beat well

Turn into greased & lined 20 cm tin & bake at 180*C for one hour

Edited to add: Reason for the upper case letters - with both baking powder and baking soda in a recipe it's easy to mix them up.

Edited by elliehen at 1:06 pm, Sun 21 Apr

elliehen (4325 ) 1:05 pm, Sun 21 Apr #3

samsnan, Oct 28, 8:05am
The above boiled recipe is the only one I make now its so good. Keeps well and makes a ring tin size although I always double it.

anne1955, Oct 30, 10:51am
Just about positive that's the one kept thinking about it and it was/is a all in bowl one water at end thanks your a gem though may try other as well.

bev00, Oct 30, 11:17am
recycling

slimgym, Oct 30, 5:35pm
does it freeze well

mooshiesmum, Oct 31, 12:09am
Yes it does freeze well slimgym - I love this recipe :-)

misash, Oct 31, 10:21am
This is the chocolate cake recipe that I've been using for the last 10 years. It all goes into one bowl and is very runny but turns out to be a really moist and firm cake.
Ultimate Chocolate Cake
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cups cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp instant coffee
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup boiling water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease & flour pan
Combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda & salt in large mixing bowl until well blended. Add milk, oil, vanilla & eggs. Beat @medium speed for 3 minutes. Fold in boiling water with spoon. Pour into pan. Bake for about 45 - 50 mins @180.

bev00, Nov 2, 10:57am
recycling .

trigal1, Jul 29, 1:01am
Hmmm interesting to find these recipes. I had given up trying to make 'regular' chocolate cake as, to my belief, it is really only ever any good when it has chocolate in it; how wrong was I. I really hate that whacky/cockeyed cake. Tough call which one to try first, as they are all similar recipes; I think I will try them all, over time.

I just made Mel's secret chocolate cake, (as supplied by cooksessentials) and it is 'muchness of yum'. I made a half recipe, used light muscovado sugar and half ground almonds, in place of flour; being a very wet mixture they floated to the top and made a slight crust.

Versatile recipes which could be used as the basis of desserts; would be great in black forest cake, filled with cream (/ice cream?) and/or slathered with ganache.