Is it possible to make a 'salt-free' biscuit as I

elsielaurie1, Oct 1, 7:45am
have a mild form of oral thrush and am finding anything salty sets it off! (Due to stress! ) Thank you

awoftam, Oct 1, 7:47am
What sort of biscuit? Just omit the salt in the recipe?

245sam, Oct 1, 8:45am
elsielaurie1, I suggest that you use a recipe of your choice and use unsalted butter instead of the normal salted butter, and of course don't add any salt to compensate for the lack of salt in the unsalted butter. The biscuits most likely taste quite the same as usual but I hope that helps and that you're back to your usual self soon. :-))

fey, Oct 2, 1:08am
It might be just me, but over the years I have stopped putting salt into any recipe I make. I can't tell the difference. I also don't add it to things like boiling veges.

nauru, Oct 2, 8:45am
Me too, I cut back on using salt in cooking etc years ago and didn't find any difference with the end result of recipes.

whitehead., Oct 2, 8:59pm
lemon peel will hide the taste if you find you miss the taste of salt

awoftam, Oct 5, 8:02am
Our bodies need salt. and it brings out depth in food and flavours so I use it with gay abandon. I can taste food that has been cooked without it, no doubt because I am used to it. I remember my first visit to Italy the food was so salty I often wondered how those visitors that choose to eat food without any salt at all managed to eat it. At one early cooking class there I remarked on this and was told (rough translation) "if you don't want to use salt, don't cook Italian food." Interesting - and things may have changed I have not been back for a while now.

carter19, Oct 7, 8:25am
I wonder what their rates of kidney disease are compared to ours with the high salt fast food diets?

socram, Oct 9, 3:40am
Med diet they (whoever 'they' are) want us to follow presumably includes Italy?

I need salt (long term effects of a childhood disease) but wouldn't miss it if left out of biscuits or cakes (don't eat many anyway) but certainly would in bread. Pasta cooked without salt I couldn't take either.

Fast food may be a problem as instead of giving sachets of salt with the fries, they just slosh it on, whether you want it or not - but we don't consider fast food a diet, though some obviously do.

macandrosie, Oct 12, 4:45am
We don't need salt but we do need iodine. You could also use saltless butter. We can season our food with herbs or spices. We are preconditioned to thinking we need salt & also that food should taste sweetish. It's more about marketing & selling food regardless of how good or bad it is for us.Processed foods are all adjusted to make them have flavour & sweetness.

ritebuy, Sep 4, 9:18am
I was on a salt free diet in hospital as a child with kidney disease I was given salt free shortbread on a sunday as a treat it was lovely