Tried Raw Milk today from Local supplier

Page 2 / 2
buzzy110, Jul 2, 10:19pm
Good information here. I used to buy raw milk. Those who think that it sits around getting warm and growing germs don't know what they are talking about. The reality is that Fonterra tankers, and all other dairy company tankers, are not refrigerated so milk is allowed to lose its chill in transit from farm to factory. On the farm milk is pumped straight into refrigerated vats. From there the milk I bought was put into buyer's containers and placed straight into refrigeration. Buyers were then able to get their constantly chilled milk, put it into chilly bins with ice and take it home and put it into the fridge. On balance that meant that raw milk was treated better than the milk that went to factories. The farm I bought my milk from was also organic and they maintained super strict hygiene from cow to buyer and constantly checked on the health of their animals.

cleggyboy, Jul 2, 11:24pm
Yep I used to install milking machines and the milk from the receiving can goes through a filter, then a plate cooler then into a refrigerated vat.
The only place where contamination may occur is the teats not being washed correctly before the cups are placed on the cow. The vats are also covered so no birds etc can infect the milk.

hestia, Jul 2, 11:27pm
And, are you understanding why that should be the case?

buzzy110, Jul 3, 12:07am
Why? Do you feel that it is OK for milk taken by tanker to factories to be handled with less care than that sold directly to the public? Maybe you feel farmer's do not have to be so vigilant about the health of their herds because of pasteurization and processing into cardboard boxes and plastic containers. Or perhaps milking hygiene can be less stringent for the same reasons.

maccachic1, Jul 3, 12:17am
I am a member of a milk club and love raw milk. I cannot drink processed milk (assumed I had a lactose intolerance since a child) with out getting a sick feeling in my gut was so happy when I got raw milk in Germany and realised I could drink it with no ill affects.

There are risks with all foods and on the balance I believe raw milk is way lower than some of the other foods consumed on a daily basis. The actual stats I have found on illness from raw milk are hard to come by but are pretty low.

The fact that one day processed milk is fine and the next its fully off scares me more than raw milk slowly going sour.

sampa, Jul 3, 12:45am
I have a sudden craving for a nice cool glass of permeate

https://lardertales.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/dscn5818.jpg?w=512&h=384

Yum, yum.

Wonder where my local Daisy is? Might be time to pay her and her milk, the whole milk, and nothing but the milk, a visit.

hestia, Jul 3, 5:00am
I never said that at all, but you did.

buzzy110, Jul 3, 5:35am
Actually I beg to differ. You did say it. I said that raw milk is handled better than milk sent to factories for processing.

antoniab, Jul 3, 9:11pm
I live right next door to one actually but I don't like raw milk - tastes like the fat off a beef roast to me lol

rocky92, Jul 5, 4:54am
I milk a cow most of the year, raw milk is just so yummy, it actually has body to it unlike storebought rubbish which tastes 'off'. Unfortunatly my cow is dried off at the moment and have to buy milk, it is disgusting. Miss my glass of milk a day. Farmhouse in the purple carton is probably the next best thing tho.

coastalskipper, Jul 6, 6:47am
I was brought up on a farm and we milked cows. Drank nice warm milk straight from the cow. My daughter from 14 days old drank pure cow's milk and no additives and the only thing she ever caught was one dose of measles. I am now in my 80's and every chance I get to have real milk is still a pleasure. Top milk was beaten into cream for pavlovas and was real yummy also beaut on Porridge. Down with shop milk which has no goodness in it.

lcscott, Jul 7, 12:37am
tb from milk dont think so its a viral disease passed on from eg cow and possum and is in blood not milk

wicked_garden, Jul 7, 6:54am
Tuberculosis is caused by bacteria and it can be transferred through milk.

thewomble1, Jul 7, 7:03am
There are at least 3 suppliers of raw milk in the Wellington region. Prices range from $5.50 TO $8.00 per 2 litres. Make sure you shop around.

thewomble1, Jul 8, 7:56am
That's my supplier. While driving to Woodville we past this cow shed with a big black and white cow sign . stopped on the way home and got some milk and it turned out that was the farm that was advertising raw milk at the local service station. Had a chat with the owner. Very pleased with contact and the professional way he delivers milk to the Wellington/Hutt region. Also the cheapest.

wendalls, Jul 8, 8:30am
Rocky92, some store bought milk tastes disgusting. Dairy dale is one of the worst which My local service station sells. I have found countdowns home brand to be consistently good. I also think anchor is ok. Many Other brands though do taste off and leave a horrible aftertaste in my coffee. Some people though don't seem to notice, like my farmer sister. She looked at me annoyed when I said her milk was disgusting, lol! ( they do not milk cows obviously!) I guess it is rather rude to criticise your hosts food let alone say it's disgusting! I'm visiting them this week so must take my own, Hee hee. I'll make her do a blind taste testing.

-bookzone-, Mar 31, 2:14am
This website lets you buy raw milk from various handy locations in Auckland, Waikato, Coromandel, and Bay of Plenty:

http://www.livemilk.co.nz/

There's one not far from me, so I think I'll give it a go!