Baklava - anyone got a nice recipe

vintagekitty, May 2, 10:00am
God, I love this at the mo, going down to our local turkish and ordering up large. I so need to make it

Where can I buy rose water?

cookessentials, May 2, 11:12am
Yes, i do and it is a good one in the AWW recipe book. I shall try and post tomorrow night if that's ok.

cookessentials, May 2, 11:14am
500g fillo pastry
250g butter
250g walnut pieces
2 teaspoons cinnamon
55g (¼ cup) sugar
Syrup
110g (½ cup) sugar
125ml (½ cup) water
4 tablespoons clear honey
125ml (½ cup) lemon juice

METHOD

1. Melt butter; grease 28cm x 18cm (11in x 7in) lamington tin. If necessary, cut pastry roughly to size of tin. (The packaged pastry can vary in size, depending on manufacturer. ) Layer half the pastry (approximately 15 sheets) one on top of the other, brushing each layer with melted butter.
3. Cut into squares with a sharp knife, cutting right down to base; brush top pastry with butter. Bake at 180°C for approximately 45 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
2. Combine finely chopped walnuts, cinnamon and sugar, sprinkle evenly over top layer. Fold over any untrimmed edges of pastry. Continue layering remaining pastry, again
brushing each layer with melted butter.
Syrup: Combine sugar, water, honey and lemon juice in pan, stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved. Bring to boil. Pour hot syrup over baklava, leave overnight for syrup to be absorbed. This is off their site so it may be the one I have in my book anyway.

cookessentials, May 2, 11:17am
Here is another version from the AWW

250ml vegetable oil
750g filo pastry (24 layers approx. )
500g diced almonds
½ tsp cinnamon
Syrup (best made a day ahead of time)
500ml water
750g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbs lemon juice

METHOD

Grease a (28cm x 23cm) lamington tin with vegetable oil. Cut 1/3 (250g) of the pastry into small pieces or strips. Scrunch these strips into little bundles of 'cuttings'. Mix the almonds with the cinnamon.

Place a sheet of pastry on each side of the tin, allowing them to meet in the centre and over hang the edges. Place another 2 sheets of pastry at 90° to the first two, on the bottom of tin. Likewise meeting in the centre and overhanging the edges. Add two more sheets of pastry, brushed with vegetable oil and folded in half. Fit these two sheets directly into the tin with no overlap.

Add half of the filo pastry 'cuttings' spreading evenly. Then add a layer of filo pastry topped with a brushing of vegetable oil.

Top with half of the almonds, spread evenly, then another layer of filo pastry brushed with oil.

Repeat a layer of the 'scrunched cuttings', then a layer of folded filo, then remaining almonds. Top with a sheet of folded pastry.

Fold the sides of the pastry inwards to meet in the centre of tray, and enclose filling. Add one layer of pastry on the top and pour over about 100 ml of the remaining vegetable oil.

Cut the baklava into squares, then, make diagonal cuts to form triangles (do not cut too deep).

Place in a preheated oven, set at (155°C) and cook for approximately 2 hours until golden brown.

Once baklava is cooked, remove from oven and immediately pour over the cold syrup. Serve when cold.

Syrup

Mix water, sugar, vanilla and lemon juice in a large saucepan.

Bring to boil and cook (10 minutes) until thickened slightly.

Cool at room temperature overnight.

vintagekitty, May 2, 11:25am
so, dont I need rose water? , they sound great

greerg, May 3, 7:36am
Rose water can be bought at the chemists if you need if for anything else vintagekitty.

brianmac, May 3, 7:39am
Asian or Mediterranean stores or some cookware stores

vintagekitty, May 3, 11:23pm
I made the first recipe last night, its beautiful. I maybe had my oven a little too hot as its slightly browner, but tastes great. Thanks so much

cookessentials, May 4, 2:43am
You are most welcome

andrea1978, Mar 31, 5:58am
There are two Persian shops in Auckland one on Mt Eden Rd and one on Dominion Rd, not sure if you're in Auckland though?