Ginger, pineapple & caramel slice

...415..., Jul 2, 4:33am
A friend's Nan use to make a slice similar to caramel slice, but had ginger and pineapple in it also. I've put the ginger in the base, I have the caramel part sorted, I just can't figure out how to incorporate pineapple into it.

Any suggestions?

rainrain1, Jul 2, 5:58am
I'd put both the ginger and pineapple into the caramel mixture, and pour on top of the base before you cook the slice

griffo4, Jul 2, 6:25am
is that dried pineapple and glace ginger?

l used to put pineapple lumps and moro bar cut up into the caramel once it came out of the oven so anything with caramel gets me interested ;-)

fifie, Jul 2, 7:36am
Old one our nan made was part cook a base in sponge roll tin keeping little bit of shortcake base back. Make caramel pour on base, drain a tin crushed pineapple sprinkle on top of caramel with some chopped preserved ginger crumble leftover shortcake on top and bake. It was nice.

...415..., Jul 2, 8:22am
I used ground ginger in the base, and tinned pineapple on top of the caramel, it just didnt' seem right.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try them tomorrow.

marcs, Jul 4, 3:08am
Tinned pineapple has too much moisture for caramel so would used dried pineapple. Can you remember where the pineapple went in the base or caramel.

...415..., Jul 4, 10:33am
After attempt #1 I realised that tinned pineapple wouldn't work.
I've never tried/had/heard of the slice, it's for a friend and is something his Nan use to make. His memory is vague, he said due to shoving it down his gob without a second thought haha

slimgym, Jul 4, 5:15pm
was it a pudding

marcs, Jul 5, 5:20am
Have a look at this site. There is a pineapple caramel ginger slice recipe on it.
http://laurensahm.blogspot.com.au/

marcs, Jul 5, 5:25am
Copying and pasting it for you too.

Pineapple and Ginger Caramel Slice
125 g butter
1/2 cup white sugar
2 Tbsp hot water
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp golden syrup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 450g tin crushed pineapple
2 tbsp crystallised ginger (chopped)

Directions
Grease a 20cm x 30cm sponge roll tin.
Cream together the first measure of butter and sugar.
Add the hot water and beat.
Sift flour and baking powder together, and add to the butter mix.
Press mixture into tin, retaining a piece the size of a golf ball and placing this in the fridge to chill.
Bake at 190 degrees C for 20 minutes. (if you have fan forced oven you will have to reduce temp to 175 or 180)

Heat the condensed milk, butter, golden syrup and brown sugar in a saucepan.
Pour over the baked base.
Drain the pineapple well and sprinkle this on top of the base, along with the ginger.

Grate the reserved base mixture over the top.
Return to the oven and bake at 160 degrees C for 10 minutes.
Cut when cool.

...415..., Jul 7, 11:23am
Thanks so much. I told my friend I would give it 5 attempts, I've done it twice and both times were dumb.

marcs, Mar 29, 4:06pm
Would suggest to press a bit of liquid out of the pineapple after draining. It is an unusual combination. Hope it works this time.