Gluten free slice recipe please

Page 1 / 2
sarahb5, Jul 15, 8:46am
I've never baked anything deliberately gluten free before but we are having a "slice day" at work in a couple of weeks and one of my colleagues is, as she puts it, glutard. I'm a bit over chocolate or brownies so wondered if anyone had any easy but fairly impressive gluten free slice recipes they'd care to share please

marcs, Jul 15, 10:41am
You can make Friand mixture gluten free and put in a slice tin.
I have a recipe for Raspberry Cheesecake slice which is Gluten and Egg free but contains dairy. Will see if I can find it.

marcs, Jul 15, 11:10am
Here is the recipe. I found it on the net and modified it. It makes a 34x24 cm slice which is quite big so half the recipe if you need to. The measurements are for a bakery so excuse the weird weights.

Gluten Free Raspberry Slice

450g Almond Meal
1 ½ cups GF Flour
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 1/4 tsp GF baking powder
300g butter melted

Oven at 160°c

Put all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add melted butter and mix. Press into a lined tin. Bake for 18 minutes (just starting to brown)

1 cup Defrosted raspberry pulped
1 cup lemon juice
1125g condensed milk (calculated this based on 395g can but 375g cans will work fine)

Mix all together then pour on top of the base. Put back in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until bubbles start to form around the edges.

I will try and find the original recipe on line.

marcs, Jul 15, 12:01pm
I think it is this recipe but I have replaced the rice flour with GF plain flour and of course passionfruit with raspberries. NOTE liquids are in GRAMS so weigh it. The above recipe is incorrect and I can't delete it so use the recipe link below as I don't think I have it right. My children love this recipe and they are not gluten intolerant so I make them the normal version.

http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/baking-sweet-recipes/gluten-free-passionfruit-slice/92069

rainrain1, Jul 15, 8:04pm
Gluten-Free Ginger Crunch
2 1/2 cups gluten free flour, sifted
1 cup caster sugar
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking powder
250 g cold butter cubed

Ginger Icing
15 g butter
1/4 cup golden syrup
1 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
1 1/2 cups icing sugar sifted

Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Place the flour, sugar, ginger and baking powder in the processor and pulse to combine. Add butter and process until mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Press into a 20cm x 30cm tin lined with baking paper. Bake 35 - 40 minutes until golden.

Icing
Place the butter, syrup and ginger in a saucepan over a medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes or until butter has melted. Stir through the icing sugar and pour immediately over the slice. Refrigerate for at least an hour, or until the icing is set.

mjhdeal, Jul 15, 9:21pm
I have made this recipe - it has a nice cake-y texture. Really good & easy to make. I think the slivered almonds/almond essence make it.

'Peach Paleo Danish'

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder (aluminium and gluten-free)
1/4 cup honey
75 g grass-fed butter, melted and cooled
5 eggs
1/4 tspn almond essence
825 g peach slices in fruit juice with no added sugar (do not choose ones in syrup), reserve liquid
toasted, slivered almonds, optional

METHOD
1. Pre-heat oven to 180*C and grease a 16 x 16 cm square pan well with butter (or oil)
2. Mix honey, butter, eggs and almond essence together in a small bowl
3. Add to coconut flour and baking powder and mix well. If the batter is dry add some reserved peach juice. I used 6 tspn here but be careful as the peach slices add moisture to cake.
4. Roughly chop peach slices and add half to mixture, stir carefully to combine
5. Spread out in pan and distribute remaining peach pieces evenly, gently pressing into batter. Sprinkle over slivered almonds, if using
6. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until slightly brown on top

Source: http://mspaleo.wordpress.com/2013/10/23/peach-paleo-danish/

aw217, Jul 15, 10:09pm
These are favorites in our home.

Chewy Fruit and Hazelnut slice
1¼ cup Flour (Healtheries GF Flour)
1 tsp Baking powder (GF)
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Coconut
½ cup Dates (Chopped)
½ cup Apricots (Chopped)
70g Roasted Hazelnuts (Roughly Chopped)
1 Egg
125g Butter

• Sift Flour and Baking Powder into a bowl.
• Add Sugar, Coconut, Fruit and Nuts and stir.
• Add Egg to melted butter.
• Add Butter mix to Flour mix and Stir.
• Press into sandwich tin.
• Cook for 20 minutes or until golden at 180c.
• Cut while still warm and dust with icing sugar once cool.

GF Chocolate Caramel Slice

1 c Ground Almonds
½ c Coconut
1 c GF flour
1 ¼ c Caster Sugar
125 g unsalted Butter
2 Egg Yolks
1 tsp Cold Water

80 g Butter
3 dsp Golden Syrup
1 tin Condensed Milk

200 g Chocolate
50 g Butter

• Combine the first seven ingredients in a food processor and blend until the mixture just comes together.
• Press into a lined tin (not too thick as this will rise a little)
• Bake at 170 for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
• Melt the next three ingredients together to make the Caramel, simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring all the time.
• Pour over cooked base and cook a further 15 minutes at 160 c.
• Melt the chocolate and the butter gently and mix. Pour over the cooled base and caramel.
• Slice when cooled and store in the fridge

GF Chocolate Mint Slice

1 c Ground Almonds
½c Coconut
1 c GF flour
1 ¼ c Caster Sugar
¼ c Cocoa
125 g unsalted Butter
2 Egg Yolks
1 tsp Cold Water

350g Icing Sugar
½ - 1 tsp Peppermint Essence
3 Tbsp Milk
3 Tbsp Kremelta (melted)

220 g Chocolate
3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil

• Combine the first eight ingredients in a food processor and blend until the mixture just comes together. (you may need more water). Press into a lined tin. (not too thick)
• Bake at 170 for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
• Mix the next four ingredients together to make the peppermint filling (you may need to add water)
• Spread over the cooled, cooked base and let it chill.
• Melt the chocolate and the Vegetable oil gently and mix. Pour over the cooled base and Mint filling.
• Slice when cooled and store in the fridge.

Lemon Shortbread

250 g Butter, chilled and grated (try using 200g to hold form)
¾ c Icing Sugar
1 tsp Grated Lemon Rind
2 c Gluten free Cornflour

• Using a food processor, process the Butter, Icing Sugar and Lemon Rind until creamy.
• Pulse in the Cornflour, then chill the dough for 15 to 20 minutes so it will become easier to handle.
• On a lightly floured bench, form a log from the dough, about 3-4 cm thick. Wrap in grease proof paper and chill for 15 min or overnight.
• Cut into 1 cm thick slices and place on a baking paper covered baking tray (Well apart from each other as they spread). Prick each one with a fork.
• Bake in a preheated oven for 25 – 30 minutes at 150c until pale and slightly firm to the touch. Leave to cool on the tray.

Uncooked Chocolate slice

50g Plain Biscuits (Gluten free arrnots rice cookies)
½ c Brown Sugar
¼ Cocoa
3 Tbsp Milk
75g Butter
1 tsp Vanilla
1 c Walnuts, Sultanas, Dried fruit, nuts of your choice
• Mix the Sugar, Cocoa, Milk and Butter.
• Bring to the boil, take off the heat and stir in the Vanilla, Biscuits, Walnuts etc.
• Press in to a lined pan.
• Ice with ‘soft buttery’ chocolate icing and refrigerate until set.
• Cut into pieces using a hot wet knife.

pom-pom, Jul 15, 11:07pm
(Gluten free arrnots rice cookies) - just a word of warning - these are not suitable for coeliacs but OK for someone cutting back on gluten.

aw217, Jul 16, 12:51am
Oh really, I thought they were. there is the gluten?

aw217, Jul 16, 12:52am
I mean"where is the gluten"

sarahb5, Jul 17, 9:49am
This sounds good and easy but very sweet with 2 tins of condensed milk - might substitute half the passionfruit for a cup of raspberries to make it a bit less sweet. Do you get gluten free baking powder at the supermarket?

marcs, Jul 17, 10:20am
The lemon juice and raspberries balance out the sweetness.

sarahb5, Jul 17, 10:29am
True - I plan on using half and half but using the raspberries whole

aw217, Jul 18, 12:39am
edmonds baking powder is gf

sarahb5, Jul 18, 1:50am
Well I never knew that - although to be honest I've probably never needed to know that! Thanks

mbos, Jul 18, 2:12am
This is a standard recipe for ginger crunch that I've converted to GF using GF ingredients, and it truly is gorgeous. Apparently it 'nails Ginger Crunch' - and the non gf eaters didn't realise it was gf!

Ginger Crunch

Base
200g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 cups flour (I use Orgran)
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 cup ground almonds

Topping
150g buttter
4 T ground ginger
3 t ground ginger
2 c icing sugar, sifted

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a 24cm x 30 cm baking pan with baking paper.
Cream the butter and sugar with an electric beater until light and fluffy. Sift in the flour, baking powder and ginger. Add the ground almonds and crystallised ginger and gently fold together.
Press the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until golden, 20-25 minutes.
Meanwhile, place the topping ingredients into a saucepan, and stir over medium heat until melted and combined. Pour over the slightly coold base and leave to set before cutting into pieces.

Makes 28-30 pieces.

(Foodtown Magazine)

lala2, Jul 19, 10:44am
I have found just subbing plain flour with half brown rice flour and half buckwheat flour works well in recipes to make them gluten free.

sarahb5, Aug 4, 5:24am
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/37180/rhubarb+and+coconut+slice

This is what I made in the end - changed the flours to a mix of rice flour, cornflour and semolina and it must taste ok because my 16 year old has just eaten 2 pieces even after I told him what was in it. The base texture is a little gritty but its a crisp gritty with the semolina rather than the rice flour so it works

mica3, Aug 4, 6:52am
Semolina is not gluten free.

sarahb5, Aug 4, 6:58am
I was told it was . Oh bugga - now I'm screwed because I promised my friend gluten free.

davidt4, Aug 4, 7:25am
Semolina is wheat.

sarahb5, Aug 4, 7:48am
Thanks for that - just makes me feel even more stupid, cheers for that. I have no idea about these things obviously because I've never had to know about them so I relied on what I was told by others. Now I wish I hadn’t bothered and just used one of my existing recipes and not bothered trying to do the right thing.

mica3, Aug 4, 10:02pm
Dont beat yourself up - its not easy to sort out.
Much better to know and not "poison" your friend.
Your friend will appreciate the trouble that you have gone to and I am sure your kids will eat the slice.

mbos, Aug 4, 11:43pm
Sarah, don't give yourself a hard time - I didn't know semolina was wheat either, and I have a coeliac daughter! (Doh!)

I must admit, it's one of the reasons why I tend to be very appreciative of a person being prepared to make the effort to do gf food for her, but also say, thanks but no thanks, is that gluten can be so sneaky - there is wheat thickener in many spices, for example, and I had something of a stand up row with a professional chef as to whether soy sauce was gf or not.

sarahb5, Aug 5, 12:59am
I made Louise cake at 9 o'clock last night (the guilt on my promise got to me) and used half cornflour and half rice flour in the base which I know are gluten free as well as gluten free baking powder and substituted raspberry jam for lemon honey and vanilla essence for lemon zest in the topping - was very tasty. Renamed it to "Lemon **** Slice" as well in honour of the person I was making it for and my daughter's name who made the lemon honey - luckily they share the same first name.