I need an Amazing Savoury Muffin Recipe Please

mooshiesmum, Nov 19, 6:57am
I am catering on Monday and I wish to do a savoury muffin, wanting something super flavoursome, interesting, delicious and that I can then share on my blog - so if you share and know the origins of the recipe let me know.

Thanks so much!

pam.delilah, Nov 19, 7:13am
this is one I have 'developed' to take into account; what's in the fridge, what is liked or not and so changeable
Come out light and fluffy

Have it your way Savoury Muffins
Pre-heat oven to 200deg.C.
Lightly grease muffins tins( 6 large, 12 mini),
Mix together 2 eggs,
1/4 cup olive oil,
1/2 cup thick yoghurt,
Plus any one or more of the following 100g crumbled feta, 1/2 cup grated/or cubed cheese, ½ cup cottage cheese,
plus one chopped tomato,
one small chopped onion,
½ - ¾ cup, cooked chopped spinach. unfrozen or fresh (squeeze water out),
½ cup chopped bacon or ham,
stir lightly (don’t over stir) until combined with
1 1/2 cups plain flour, 1 ½ teaspoon of baking power, ½ teaspoon salt,
Spoon mixture into tins. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden

cookessentials, Nov 19, 7:28am
I do a smoked chicken avocado and brie one which is lovely.

mooshiesmum, Nov 19, 7:29am
Sounds lovely - do you cook the onion first? Also with the yoghurt - natural unsweetend?

mooshiesmum, Nov 19, 7:31am
That sounds delicious too - are you happy to share the recipe? :-)

pam.delilah, Nov 19, 8:04am
no I don't cook the onion first and yes, natural unsweetened, Greek is best, Pam

freesia, Nov 19, 8:40am
Using a basic muffin recipe base of eggs, milk, butter and flour, I add grated cheese, grated pumpkin and cumin seeds. Mix and bake. Everyone seems to like them.

juliette55, Nov 19, 9:04pm
I use a basic muffin recipe base also and add 1 heaped tablespoon of Tasty Relish, 1teaspn chicken stock, grated cheese, kumera or pumpkin, grated zucchinni & carrot. Usually I mix things from my fridge, garden or pantry that I would think is going to be a tasty mix.

davidt4, Nov 19, 11:44pm
This was my standard recipe for muffins when I did catering. They were always a big hit. Leave out the bacon if you need to feed vegetarians.

Bacon & Vege Muffins

24 mini/12 med.

4 rashers of bacon (about 120g)
75g butter
2 eggs
1 c. milk/yoghurt/buttermilk
2 c. white flour
4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
pinch cayenne
1 c. grated cheese – feta, gruyere, gouda
4 spring onions chopped
1 c. grated carrot
1 c. grated zucchini
½ c. chopped parsley (or marjoram)

Set oven to 200º C. Grease muffin tins very well.
Fry bacon until crisp, reserve fat, chop finely.
Melt butter and mix with bacon, fat, eggs & milk. Add cheese & veges.
Sift flour, b.p., salt, sugar & cayenne.
Mix all together until only just combined.

Bake 15 min.

Will freeze well.

mooshiesmum, Nov 20, 12:22am
Sounds lovely davidt4 - as do the others!

I will make up all of them over the coming weeks I think! Is everyone happy if I take these recipes and write them up on my blog - can give credit if you like or if you know the origins etc

Thanks!

davidt4, Nov 20, 1:42am
Fine by me. No credit for me please.

tigra, Nov 20, 1:45am
Spicy needs a little "fire" Cayenne should do nicely

vashti, Nov 23, 12:05am
Thats very generous of you david4.

village.green, Nov 23, 2:54am
The Bees Knees here in Palmy do the most amazing savoury muffins with caramelised onion and capsicum in and every Friday after dogwalking I always get one - can't resist. I do have an Alison Holst recipe that I have tweaked because I like robust flavours and I think my taste buds have diminished over the years. Can post if you want? Two of my friends rave over them and I am no expert on muffin baking.

mooshiesmum, Nov 23, 3:49am
Thank you village green - yes please! I will be looking at these again tomorrow to get my ingredients.

wheelz, Nov 23, 5:14am
I have one for smoked salmon, cream cheese and spinach if wanted.

calista, Nov 23, 9:14am
wheelz that sounds yummy. I would be interested when you have the time please.

village.green, Nov 23, 9:43am
Here is the recipe: Kumara, Bacon & Onion Muffins with a bit of tweaking.
2 Tbs oil
2 rashers (100g) bacon chopped
1 small onion
2 cups SR flour
1 cup grated tasty cheese
1 tsp mild curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup of milk (might need a tad more)
1 large egg
1 cup (200g) roughly mashed cooked golden (if poss) kumara
(I also include 1 Tbs tomato paste, 1 tsp onion pwdr, 1 tsp garlic pwdr, 1/2 tsp oregano, pinch of chilli and put extra cheese on top just before they go in oven)
Fry off onion and diced bacon until browned.
Measure dry ingredients and toss well with a fork.
In another bowl mix the milk with the egg until blended then stir in the roughly mashed kumara and mix again leaving some chunky pieces.
Tip the cooked bacon and onion then the kumara mixture into the flour. Gently fold everything together until the flour is moistened.
Bake 200oC 15 mins.

mooshiesmum, Nov 24, 9:26am
Thanks so much for the recipes - making two of these in the morning so fingers crossed I don't mess them up! lol Will report back :-)

mooshiesmum, Nov 24, 9:58pm
Thank you so much village green and davidt4! The muffin making went well, will hear back later as to how they found them but hubby and I enjoyed our quick taste test! Will write up the blog posts some stage this week :-)

village.green, Nov 25, 8:57am
Marvellous- after typing out that recipe I actually decided to make them today, minus the bacon so my vegetarian teen could enjoy too - and added in lots of feta, they were jolly good.

bev00, Jun 2, 9:19am
bump to save