Roly Poly desert recipe needed please

muffin2, May 6, 10:45pm
a few years ago I made a 'Roly Poly' type desert and want to make it again this weekend, but I've lost the recipe.

from memory you made a scone type dough, rolled it out and spread it with jam - then rolled it up put it in a baking dish and made a sauce to go on top then baked it in the oven

if anyone can help with the name of this dish and the recipe it would be much appreciated :-)

245sam, May 6, 11:39pm
muffin2, I have known the dessert you describe to have different names, depending on the fruit (f any) that is used + whether it is jam or honey that is spread on the dough. As far as I know the basic dessert is simply called Baked Jam Roll and this is the recipe that I have successfully used.

BAKED JAM ROLL
115g lard or butter
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
½ tsp sugar
water to mix
apricot or raspberry jam

Beat the dripping to a cream, add all the previously mixed other dry ingredients and sufficient water to make a dough. Roll out into shape, and spread with jam, then roll up and put in a baking dish.
Bake at 180°C.
Note: Sliced apples, plums, or any fruit desired could be substituted for the jam.

Hope that helps. :-))

muffin2, May 7, 12:48am
thanks for that - looks very similar. the recipe I used had a sauce you made and you poured it over before baking

muffin2, May 7, 1:01am
I found this recipe - which is like the one I had
Roly Poly Dessert
2 cups flour (500 ml)
3 teaspoons baking powder (15 ml)
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup butter (1 stick or 125 g or 4 oz)
2 eggs, beaten
milk, a few tablespoons, see instructions
1 teaspoon vanilla
apricot jam

Sauce
1 1⁄2 cups boiling water (375 ml)
1 cup sugar (250 ml)
2 tablespoons butter (30 ml)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
Preheat oven to 180 deg Celsius.
Grease a suitable oven dish, like a rectangular Pyrex dish.
Mix the flour, baking powder and salt, and rub in the butterAdd the beaten eggs, and then just enough milk, tablespoon by tablespoon, to make a fairly firm dough.
as soon as a firm ball forms which is not sticky, but soft, the dough is ready.
Roll the dough out quite thinly -- on a surface sprinkled with flour -- and form a rectangle, by cutting off bits and adding it on again -- you know how.
Spread the dough with apricot jam.
From one of the LONG sides, roll it up like a swiss roll.
Cut this roll into 1 inch slices, using a serrated knife such as a bread knife. The jam WILL ooze out.
Pack the slices, cut sides up, closely together, in the greased dish. Scoop the jam which oozed out on the surface you used, and just plonk back on to these rolls.
In a pot, mix the boiling water (from your kettle), sugar, butter and vanilla and stir until sugar dissolves.
With a tablespoon, ladle evenly over the slices of pudding, but beware: you will have more sauce than the baking dish can take. Usually you'll be left with about 3/4 cup. KEEP IT.
Bake for about 40 - 45 minutes.
When the sizzling pudding comes out of the oven, carefully pour the extra sauce over the centre slices: I find that, when baking, the sauce tends to pool on the sides.
Now the hot pudding will absorb much of the leftover sauce in seconds. Use as much or as little as you like.

Serve hot, with custard, ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.

camper18, May 7, 3:50am
Years ago I used to make an Apple Roly Poly. Make your usual scone dough and roll out, cover with sliced apples and some dried fruit and a sprinkle of brown sugar. Roll up sealing the bottom and ends and place in your dish. Make sauce with Tbls Butter, Tblsp Brown sugar, 2 Cups Boiling Water and pour over dough. Bake about 30_40 mins basting with the sauce after each 15 mins.

valentino, May 7, 4:04am
Golden Apple Wheels (Scrumptious)
2c flour, ¼ tsp salt, 1 tsp baking powder, 6 tbsp butter, 1 tsp lemon juice, water to mix, 1 very large or 2 smaller green skinned apples, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp golden syrup or honey and 2c boiling water. Sift first 3 ingredients, rub in butter and mix to a firm paste with lemon juice and water. Roll out 5mm thick in oblong shape. Peel & core apples and grate over the pastry mix. Mix sugar & cinnamon together and sprinkle over apple. Roll up like a big sausage roll and cut into 3cm slices. Mix golden syrup or honey with boiling water until blended. Pour into a shallow ovenware dish. Place slices in this, cut sides up. Bake at 190c for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Baste with sauce while cooking and serve hot with ice cream.

valentino, May 7, 4:05am
Peach Rollups
3-4tbsp butter, 1/2 c orange juice, 1 tsp grated orange rind, 1/2 c sugar, 2 c self raising flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 75g butter extra, 1/2 c milk, 1/4c brown sugar, 1tsp cinnamon, 1 x 455g can sliced peaches drained & whipped cream for serving. Mix first four ingredients in saucepan, simmer for 5 minutes then pour half mixture into buttered 23cm square ovenproof dish. Sift flour & salt into bowl. Rub in second butter & add milk, mix for a soft dough. Roll out about 30cm square. Brush with a little extra melted butter & sprinkle with brown sugar & cinnamon. Arrange drained peaches on this & roll up like a jam roll. Cut into 9 slices & arrange ring cuts side down, in syrup in dish. Pour remaining syrup over dough. Bake at 200c for 25-30 minutes or until crisp & golden brown on top. Serve with excess syrup & whipped cream

marcs, May 7, 7:47am
There is Natalie Oldfields apple roll pudding if you can google it. Looked yum

sarahb5, Aug 15, 7:19pm
Mum used to make this when my grandad came to stay - suet pastry rolled with jam in the middle and steamed but not sure there was a recipe