Got a recipe for Tiramasu

tigra, May 26, 4:00am
that needs Marzipan. Where do i buy marzipan? My Pak n Save doesnt stock it

tigra, May 26, 11:42pm
Thanks tanju2 I will check the Wingate Store. Yes I agree P&S seems to have a limited selection. Just when you get used to buying a product it disappears

tigra, May 26, 11:45pm
Mrs T. loves tiramasu.This recipe was in a cookbook we bought on a P&O cruise last year. She hasnt cooked it yet so cant say how it turns out

sarahb5, May 27, 8:34am
Unusual to have marzipan in it - you can use almond paste instead though

awoftam, May 27, 8:53am
Marzipan in Tiramasu? Nooooooooooo

Sure you don't mean mascarpone?

sarahb5, May 27, 9:42am
There are recipes which mention marzipan but they're not in English so I'm still not sure where/how it's used

awoftam, May 27, 9:50am
I dragged out my Italian food bible (The Silver Spoon) and marzipan isn't mentioned. so its a no no for me however understand there may be other renditions

awoftam, May 27, 9:52am
I dragged out my Italian food bible (The Silver Spoon) and marzipan isn't mentioned. so its a no no for me however understand there may be other renditions

Unless they are using it to replace the flavor of amaretto maybe? Some more modern versions have this as an ingredient (the original recipe doesn't have this liquor in it)

sarahb5, May 27, 10:06am
I use Kahlua in mine because I've struggled to find masala - the rest of my family don't like marzipan anyway do think I'll stick with my version

hezwez, May 27, 10:08am
I got mine from the Mill Sarah, a couple of years ago now, don't know whether they still stock it.

sarahb5, May 27, 10:11am
Oh thanks for that - they're about to change hands again I think but might try again, or Big Barrel have a good range too

tigra, May 28, 9:48pm
NO The recipe has mascarpone (and Kahlua) as well. But the recipe book seems to have USA origins so it may be over the top ingredients-wise

davidt4, May 28, 10:15pm
It's sounding increasingly odd. Tiramisu is usually quite a simple dish made with sponge fingers, mascarpone, eggs, brandy, rum, coffee, grated chocolate and sugar.

What part does the marzipan play in your recipe tigra?

sarahb5, May 29, 1:29am
That's what I was wondering too.

I don't use rum or brandy in mine - originally its supposed to be made with marsala (mis-spelt it first time) I think but it's hard to find around here. I use Kahlua but apparently you can use madeira or dry sherry as an acceptable substitute as well, or half and half brandy and grape juice.

sarahb5, May 29, 8:06am
I think I'll stick to a more traditional recipe thanks

davidt4, Jun 29, 6:13pm
Ha ha. Me too. That lemon concoction is nothing like a tirimasu.