Apple Slice I must share.

Page 2 / 2
uli, Nov 1, 3:29am
A "MUST share recipe" cannot simply die - so bump to it!

kay34, Nov 1, 6:41am
bumping so i can copy recipe down.

kay34, Nov 1, 6:48am
Frozen berries (thawed)? Have excess that needs using.

uli, Nov 1, 8:22pm
I would make jam out of thawed frozen berries.

kay34, Nov 2, 3:12am
Had though the same, sadly, only have 1.5C
leftover.

glasshalfull, Nov 2, 3:42am
Thanks I have saved this. How simple and easy it sounds. Need some apples now.

uli, Nov 2, 5:01am
Nothing wrong with adding a cup of sugar and having two lovely jars of jam :)

agedbag, Nov 2, 5:11am
Apples were 74c a kg at the market, so got heaps & the rest of the ingredients, so all set to make this now. Have been drooling at the thought of this recipe since I read the thread. Thank you jaybee6!

paora-tm, Nov 2, 7:58pm
Tried it with cinnamon. Very easy and quite nice. TRUST the original recipe - you do not need to add milk. The mixture does look dry (like apple mixed into a very mushy sweet pastry) and you just need to press it into your slice tray. I cut down the sugar to 3/4 cup because some people said it was too sweet - I wish I had left it at 1 cup. It's ok cold but nicer warm with cream or ice cream.

korbo, Nov 3, 8:04am
I add handful sultanas and either chopped walnuts or almond slivers, just gives a nice taste.
made this last night, with granny apples, but they wernt very juicy, so added 1/2 cup apple juice. it was fine.

jaybee6, Nov 4, 8:02am
I have been doing Apple and a tin of cut up peaches. Yum. Glad everyone is enjoying this.

agedbag, Nov 6, 3:29am
Mmmm having some with coffee now :) I finally got around to making it at about 3 am this morning - just couldn't go to bed without knowing I had some ready to eat today. Ok I confess I had a couple of slices before I went to bed, (ok 4 slices)!

Anyway, this was just so easy to make! I forgot to get butter, so had to substitute with lite olive oil spread. Added cinnamon, as others have suggested, but I don't know how much. I was aiming for around a teaspoon, so I just shook the container until it looked right! Probably a fair bit more than a teaspoon, but can you have too much cinnamon? Used brown sugar, but less than a cup and substituted the rest of the sugar with 2 tablespoons of golden syrup. When I say 2 tablespoons, I just poured what looked like 2 tablespoons. Added 6 apples: 2 royal gala, 3 granny smith & one large unknown one that was floury and dry, but the others were juicy.

This is definitely a fool proof recipe because 1) I was the idiot making it, 2) I didn't bother measuring anything, 3) I cooked it in my bench top oven, 4) I didn't adhere to the cooking temperature and yet it still came out perfect. It is moist and absolutely freakin' delicious! No cream, or ice cream needed.

However, I have two major complaints about this slice. First is that I have eaten half of it already and secondly, for some reason it smells even more delicious than it tastes! How is that possible?

Methinks it is time for more coffee and apple slice.

jia5, Nov 6, 4:12am
I made this slice yesterday for our pudding. The only thing I changed was the amount of sugar, cut that down to half a cup and it was still delicious.

ruby2shoes, Nov 6, 4:27am
I have a similar recipe from an American cookbook, but it uses oil instead of butter. Cinnamon. nutmeg and allspice are in the recipe. Its always a fab hit whenever I make it. I do like the sound of ginger. might do a test cake with some ginger in!

dreamers, Nov 6, 6:09am
It's great.I used brown sugar instead of white .

awoftam, Nov 6, 6:12am
I wonder if you could use almond meal instead of flour. with a t of baking powder. Might be worth a play.

jaybee6, Nov 8, 5:35am
I too made one last night with apples and pears with lashings of whipped cream. Hmmmmmmm so yum. Glad you are all enjoying this. It is a fun receipe.

melp6, Nov 8, 5:37am
I've made it twice now

First time we had it with ice cream, second with custard. Just as good either way

agedbag, Nov 8, 7:05am
I have to wait until tomorrow to get more apples from the market, so I can make another batch! This time I'm planning to spread the top with lots of the filling you use in cinnamon pinwheel scones. I can't wait to taste the results!

joybells2, Jul 6, 3:08am
Have just made this and its in the oven, it is very similar to another recipe I do with apples in the microwave except that one has rolled oats in it.