Chocolate Cake recipe for biginner baker

bronski17, May 13, 11:19pm
I would like a no fail easy Chocolate recipe for a beginner baker. If anyone can help me out I would so much appreciate it.

buzzy110, May 13, 11:33pm
This is the easiest and almost the most moist chocolate cake I have ever made. I cooked it for many years. Make sure you cook it in a rectangular or square baking dish. I prefer a ceramic dish but a standard metal tin will do. The shape stops the middle from rising like a volcano and it cooks flat, always. The butter has to be quite soft as well.

CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE
Cook in 18cm (7in) Square cake tine

175g (6oz) Plain Flour
25g (1oz) Cocoa
150g (5oz) Caster Sugar
1 level tspn Baking Powder
1 level tspn Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking Soda)
Pinch Salt
75g (30z) Butter
1.5dl (¼ Pint) Milk
2 Eggs
1 Tblspn Treacle

Method
1 Grease and line an 18cm (7in) square cake tin
2 Sift Flour, Cocoa, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Caster Sugar into a mixing bowl
3 Add Butter, Milk, Eggs and Treacle
4 Beat all together for 2-3mins or until smooth
5 Pour into the prepared tin and bake in slow oven 150oC (300oF Mark 2) for 45-60mins
6 Turn out onto a rack and cool

Icing
25g (1oz) Butter To Make Chocolate Icing
1 Dstspn Coffee Essence Use Cocoa instead of Essence
1 Dstspn Milk Replace Essence with Water
125g (4oz) Icing Sugar Sifted

Place all the ingredients in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of hot water
Stir until the mixture is smooth and glossy
Remove from heat and leave until cold
Beat well until the mixture thickens
Spread over cake

awoftam, May 13, 11:42pm
Bronski if you don't have treacle golden syrup will be okay. Buzzy correct me if I am wrong - I mean it will alter the taste a little however given OP is a beginner baker didn't think it was likely they would have treacle in the cupboard. If I made this cake (and I am going to, it sounds amazing - and loved your comment re using a square tin and why, thanks for that tip) I would use dextrose instead of sugar and brown rice syrup instead of treacle and a ganache out of high cacao choccy and cream. Nom nom nom

buzzy110, May 13, 11:52pm
Lol awoftam. Just a note. I always make a recipe exactly as it is for the first time. I bought the treacle and was pleased I did because I continued to make the cake, almost exclusively of any other chocolate cake. for years so investing in the tin of treacle was worthwhile.

I now make a cake (if I need to as I don't bake much these days) that is similar (just throw all the ingredients in and beat till smooth) but those ingredients are much more expensive than the simple one posted here.

Definitely recommend the ganache though. Try one using a whole bar of 50% Whittakers, softened till liquid then mixed in a cold bottle of Lewis Road double cream. It pipes easily.

awoftam, May 14, 12:17am
Thanks buzzy. For me I would substitute as I am limiting sucrose as much as I can however I absolutely hear you re staying true to a recipe; it is the best way for sure. I have had a couple of fails substituting but most things turn out great which is good!

I will be using 72% which is what I eat if I ever want a square of choccy; its more bitter with only a hint of sweetness which is what I like - and am used to now.

Happy baking!

bronski17, May 14, 1:24am
thank you very much for this

marcs, May 14, 2:05am
I find this is one of the easiest and best chocolate cake recipes and keeps moist for a long time. This was posted by Boatboy if I have that correct.

Chocolate Cake

2 cups Sugar
1/2 cup Oil
2 Eggs

1 3/4 cups Flour
3/4 cup Cocoa
1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Salt

1 cup Milk
2 tsp Vanilla essence

1 Cup boiling hot water
1 TBS coffee powder (optional)

Procedure

1. Line a 23cm (9 inch). Oven at 180c (170 fan forced)
2. Mix together sugar oil and egg. Sift in dry ingredients and add milk and vanilla and beat
3. Add 1 cup boiling water. Can add 1 tbs of instant coffee to water then add to cake and mix in. I use a whisk to do this.
4. Will be really runny, don't panic.
5. Bake for one hour however set timer for 55 minutes to check if they cooked.
6. Cool completely before eating. Best eaten the next day. Ice with chocolate icing.

nauru, May 14, 7:23am
This is a very easy cake to make and one I often make, cooked in the microwave oven makes it quick too. It's a lovely moist cake, very like a mud cake. I top it with dark chocolate Ganache.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
125g butter
3/4 cup sugar
11/2 cups grated zucchini
2 eggs
1/2 teasp each cinnamon & mixed spice
1/2 cup choc chips
3/4 cup cocoa
11/2 cups SR flour
1/4 cup plain yoghurt

Cream butter & sugar, add eggs one at a time and beat in between each egg. Add spices, zucchini, choc chips & yoghurt & mix well. Add cocoa and flour and mix. Put mixture into a prepared microwave cake pan. Bake in microwave on high for 8 minutes. Stand 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.

sarahb5, May 14, 9:11am
This is my go-to birthday cake - great for decorating, great flavour and keeps well too.

valentino, May 14, 8:48pm
As a Beginner, what Baking utensils, tools, appliances, call-it-what-you-like that you have.

An Electric beater, a blender of some sort, Flour sifter, measuring cups etc.
If you some of these then one can give some real nice simple easy to do recipes that requires some of the above to use.

Cheers.

bev00, May 15, 9:08am
Moist Chocolate cake

100g chocolate, broken up
125g butter, softened
1 1/4 c sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c yoghurt
2 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp cocoa

Line the bottom of a 23cm ring tin. Butter & dust the sides.
Melt the chocolate over boiling water.
Cream the butter & sugar, add eggs one at a time, then vanilla.
Add yoghurt with the chocolate.
Sift dry ingredients & add.
Pour into tin.
Bake 150C 1 1/2 hours. cool in tine for 5 mins. turn out.

flower-child01 (566 566 positive feedback) 1

valentino, Jul 31, 1:56am
Hmmm no response to my note, anyway here is the best recipe involving Chocolate, most sort after especially when still slightly warm.

You do need a Blender or be able to chop up the fruit as fine as possible, and a mixer or something to cream the butter mixture, plus a sifter to sift the flour and a ring type cake baking tin - has a hole in the centre hence Ring tin, not the basic circular cake ting.

Firstly, line the base of the tin with grease (buttering) baking paper, do this greasing all sides on tin and one side of paper with the greased side up when into the tin.
Now preheat oven to 180C (turn the oven on).
Cream 120g softened (not melted) butter and 1 heaped cup of sugar together in a bowl, mix until all looks a bit creamy looking.
Add 3 eggs, one at a time mixed into butter mix and mixed together increasing the creamy look, put to one side.
Now, finely chop an orange and a medium Mandarin Skin and all o into a food blender roughly chopped, add 1 1/4 cups of roughly chopped dates plus level teaspoon baking soda and 3/4 cup of water and blend all together in blender or finely chop all mixed well together.
In another Bowl, sift 2 1/4 ups of flour, add a pinch of salt (finger and thumb holding amount).
Now the big mix, add the three bowls together and stir well adding 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence as well.

Pour the Mixture (cake batter) into the cake tin then the Chocolate part.

I usually use those thinner Whittaker's Choc bars about 25 grams each of various flavours broken into thirds but any choc bars slabs can do. The idea is to pieces of choc about 2 to 3 cm long and place then vertical into the cake batter all around,If using different flavours, just imagine the thrill of such taste as you eat the cake. If the choc shows above the batter then just leave it and when baked just smooth it.

Into the oven and bake for at least 45 minutes possibly say about 55 minutes. A skewer is then inserted but not where the choc is to check for doneness, it should come out clean.

Cool a little then onto a wire rack or cool further and onto a serving plate remembering to check the sides is not sticking to the tin before taking out of tin.

If cake is still warm, nice served with a little bit of whipped cream. If cold then as is.

Enjoy.