Rice Salad - Looking for the yummiest rice salad

bev00, Apr 15, 9:31am
Its a keeper

petal1955, Apr 16, 7:08am
This is Toady's Brown Rice Salad. and its the BEST !

amanda152, Apr 16, 8:30am
who is Toady? im always seeing this recipe attributed to him/her. but its on page 43 of Alison Holst/s "sensational salads" book. so who came first?

bev00, Apr 16, 11:10am
Brown Rice Salad

1 1/2 cups brown rice
1 spring onion - cut small
1 red pepper - cut small
1/2 cup currants
60g roasted cashew nuts (halved)
2 Tblsp sunflower seeds
3 Tblsp chopped parsley

Dressing Mix

4 Tblsp soya sauce
2 Tblsp lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil (more if needed)
1 clove of crushed garlic

Cook rice - cool

Mix dressing mix with everything.

This can be made the day before. But if you do then leave out the cashew nuts and parsley. This you add before serving.

Quoter-mvz (349 ) 10:55 am, Sat 14 Apr #8

Brown rice salad with pine nuts and cranberries

Ingredients
2 bunch(es) fresh asparagus, trimmed, cut into 3cm lengths
1/4 cup(s) pine nuts, (35g)
1 tsp olive oil
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 clove(s) fresh garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp ground all spice
2 cup(s) boiled brown rice
1/4 cup(s) dried cranberries, (35g)
2 tbs fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 tbs fresh mint, chopped
1 medium green capsicum, (250g) thinly sliced
125 g cherry tomato, grape, halved
1 tbs olive oil, extra virgin
1/4 cup(s) lemon juice, (60ml)
1 tsp honey
Instructions
Blanch asparagus in a medium saucepan of boiling water for 1 minute or until bright green and just tender. Drain and refresh in a large bowl of cold water. Drain.

Heat a small non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add pine nuts and cook, stirring, for 1–2 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in same pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and allspice and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant.

Combine rice, asparagus, pine nuts and onion mixture in a large bowl. Stir in cranberries, parsley, mint, capsicum and tomatoes. Whisk remaining oil, juice and honey in a small bowl. Add dressing to rice salad and toss gently to combine. Serve.

Quotesarahb5 (1450 ) 9:58 pm, Sun 14 Apr #23
II have been making a lot of salads using Italian black rice, really nutty and healthy. I do a simple lemon vinergrette and add loads of italian parsley, cherry toms, diced cucumber and shallot, simple but delish

Quotebarbs77 (115 ) 8:18 am, Mon 15 Apr #24

petal1955, Apr 17, 9:40pm
Not sure but Toady is a regular poster on the recipe message board and the rice salad she posted a while ago has gone the rounds and is a strong favourite

muffin2, Apr 17, 10:44pm
wife used to make a rice salad that had lemon juice sugar banana and red onion
I think it was 3 cups cooked brown rice, mix in sliced red onion sliced banana and make the dressing with 1/2 cup lemon juice and 4T raw sugar - but I could be wrong

dianavan, Apr 18, 3:38am
currants are best in rice salad,imo

17007, Dec 17, 5:59am
recipe - my task towards the Christmas Day BBQ - If you're willing to share your recipe please do

alegnak, Dec 17, 6:05am
I don't know who originally posted (sorry!) this but I got it off the message board a few years ago and it is delish!
Brown Rice Salad
Best Salad ever! 1 cup brown rice, 1 3/4 cup water, 1/4 cup soya sauce
(light if available), 1/2 onion finely chopped, Cook the rice in the
water & when cooked & still hot add the soya sauce and finely chopped
onions let cool(a couple of hours preferably overnight) Add the
following ~ 1 red pepper chopped 1/2 cup roasted peanuts chopped 1/2
cup each of roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds and sultanas.
Dressing: 1/4 cup olive oil 2 tbsp lemon juice 1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 clove garlic crushed 1 tsp fresh ginger 1 tsp honey pinch of salt.
Mix and pour over salad

artkat, Dec 17, 6:26am
That is the recipe I have used for the last 20 years. I put spring onions rather than onions and leave out the sultanas. Sometimes add chopped tomatoes and mushrooms. Tastes great the next day too

kirmag, Dec 17, 6:36am
I just used cooked white rice (non sticky so uncle bens), fry bacon n onion. Mix together with a generous amount of soy sauce. Yum hot or cold but I love it cold.

niffer13, Dec 17, 8:08am
This sounds ordinary But tasts yum. I took to a pot luck this week & everyone wanted the recipe.

Rice Salad

1 cup rice

1 cup mixed veges or peas

1 chopped onion

½ cup sultanas or raisins

½ cup chopped celery or capsicum

Cook rice & add veg in last few minutes.

Cool add rest of fresh veg

Dressing

1 tsp salt

2 tsp curry powder

3 tbsp vinegar

4 tbsp oil

4 tbsp sugar

I add turmeric for extra colour 1-2 tsp

happyrats, Dec 17, 8:22am
The first recipe is pretty much the same as ours though I put very little oil in and more lemon juice. Be careful to put only that one clove of garlic in - (in fact I only put half in) any more and it takes over the whole dish. This is truly delicious - everyone loves it and asks for the recipe :-)

timetable, Dec 17, 9:01am
nigella's wild rice salad is yum - and i always add a few unsalted roasted cashews

kizzier, Dec 17, 9:06am
I do a few different ones with brown rice.

A Japanese type flavour one with cucumber, radish, avocado, etc and a dressing of sesame oil, soy, rice wine vinegar etc (all those types of flavours).

Another I do has brown rice, thinly sliced raw bok choy, spring onions, sliced almonds, cranberries, avocado etc with any dressing you like.

seavu, Oct 4, 4:03pm
This is the rice salad that my family all request for Xmas and any other special occasion. I always make it the day before. This recipe makes a lot so it can be halved.
2 cups rice, 1 cup finely chopped onion, 1 bunch parsley chopped finely, 1 green or red pepper ,1 red sweet apple diced with skin on, , good handful of raisins ( I think I may add more) - Cook rice and when cold add rest. Dressing- 2 dessertspoon sugar, 1 dessertspoon curry powder, 3/4 cup salad oil, 1/4 cup white vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix together and adjust to your taste. Pour over rice and mix. Enjoy.