Macaroni cheese

Page 2 / 2
pinkpig3, Sep 5, 6:56am
Bread and butter pudding- yuck!

bev00, Sep 5, 1:15pm
some great ideas for a classic

lythande1, Sep 7, 5:08am
Saute chopped onion and bacon.
Stir in canned tomatoes (or fresh, doesn't matter) and some chopped mushrooms. Cook the macaroni, not too much. Once cooked, stir in the tomato mixture and 1/2 cup or so of a aged, flavoursome grated cheese.
Serve immediately.

That gluey goop I couldn't eat either, this is far better.

If on a budget and bacon is out of the question, cheat and use a bit of bacon stock, it's mainly the flavour of it you need.

teap, Sep 8, 6:20am
Don't like macaroni cheese made with macaroni elbows they are all sqigee and slimeee ewwww yuk! BUT I do like spiral pasta in a cheese sauce with toasted breadcrumbs and tomatoe slices as a topping grilled for a couple of minutes.
Its the macaroni elbows cooked that I find horrid.
Other foods I don't like. tripe, brains, offal, chocolate caramel slice, chocolate bars, olives, coffee

motorbo, Sep 8, 6:26am
i don't really like pasta at all. unless its homemade then i quite enjoy it. but even then its a sometimes food. i now don't eat much meat and i find walking past the meat at the supermarket - the smell is really horrid some days as above i could say i dislike brains and tripe, truth is ive never eaten them and never will

kay34, Sep 8, 6:38am
Junket, yuck, even the thought of it makes me wretch, that and anchovies and broad beans.
Junket, cos it was dessert 8 days a week when we were kids, anchovies, cos the smell, and the look, and broad beans, i had a partner whos mum would serve them for tea - i think they were boiled from 8am in prep, grey, freezer burnt horrid blasted things!

karlymouse, Sep 8, 7:24am
Fish pie with tinned fish and boiled eggs. hate the consistency

karlymouse, Sep 8, 7:24am
and anything with frozen mixed vegetables thrown in for added colour . euchhh

fizzy_kiwi, Sep 8, 2:37pm
I can't stand any cooked fruit. It always tastes sour and the texture is barf worthy.

But Mac, if it's properly done is gorgeous. Sauce on the thin side, don't overdo the cheese, plenty of mushrooms, onion, garlic and bacon (or ham steak if you're cheap) and grill it within an inch of it's life with a good layer of breadcrumbs, sliced tomato and cheese. I often do half pasta (large shells, spirals or vegeroni), half cauli and broccoli in a big oven dish and freeze it.

Also buffet takeaways. I once saw a kid pick his nose then shove his hands in the noodles and play with it. Freaking disgusting,

rainrain1, Sep 8, 7:27pm
Make your own. waaaay nicer than café mac

sarahb5, Sep 8, 7:42pm
I have made my own and I still don't like it

rainrain1, Sep 8, 7:50pm
bad recipe? :-)))

sarahb5, Sep 8, 11:15pm
Don't think so - I just don't like it - it always tastes sweet to me and has a slimy texture.

Sometimes we just have to accept there are foods we like and foods we don't like - macaroni cheese is a definite don't like for me - I'll live, there are plenty of other foods I do like. Maybe I was force fed it as a child by someone and I was traumatised by the experience . Who knows - no big deal

biggles45, Sep 8, 11:36pm
Love macaroni cheese. Tripe - ugh. Can't think of anything else I don't like except tinned fruit. Not overly fond of shellfish but will eat it if someone serves it, love crab, crays etc, but not keen on scallops, mussels etc

rainrain1, Sep 8, 11:51pm
I don't really mind if you like it or not either Sarahb5, but four or five posts on how much you don't like it, then you say it's no big deal. I just had a feeling you might just secretly like it but not telling. !

fifie, Sep 8, 11:58pm
Spent 55 nights in hospital once and they made me have icecream every night lol, now i hate the stuff.

samanya, Sep 9, 12:08am
cooked celery as a vege is my blurk/puke territory.
My mother used to cook it with a cheese sauce & I hated it & yet I love it raw . go figure/

sarahb5, Sep 9, 1:39am
The thread got bumped - sorry

sarahb5, Sep 9, 1:41am
I was in hospital for 3 nights having my son nearly 17 years ago - first night was tuna bake (don't like cooked, tinned tuna either - hubby brought a sandwich), second night macaroni cheese (hubby brought fish and chips), third night they decided we could go home at about 5 o'clock so I didn't get any dinner at all!

nz_nicola, Nov 5, 1:55am
Love macaroni but with penni pasta not elbow pasta, when I was growing up I hated field mushrooms done in milk, and I still wouldn't eat it today! It didn't help seeing they'd been invaded with bugs.