Dishes every child should learn to cook?

Page 1 / 2
accroul, May 31, 6:45am
So far she (11yo) has cooked nachos, meatballs & gravy, meatloaf & quiche, next weekend we get stew. She can make scrambled eggs & a nice pav but need some more ideas for family meals she can cook once a week.
Ideas please!

lizzyj, May 31, 6:53am
Corn fritters, Spag Bol - but you might need to help with draining the pasta, Chicken Wraps, Sushi, and homemade Pizza (base done in the bread maker here). My kids are a bit younger so they are supervised but manage all these and some of yours, I think I will introduce some of yours, Pav - AMAZING I can't make one! well done to your 11 year old, Cheesecake is a good desert option as well.

hezwez, May 31, 6:55am
Lasagne should be easy, I use the sheets and make a vegetarian sauce with cashews, mint, and cottage cheese. The original recipe called for pine nuts but not at that price.

melp6, May 31, 6:59am
Self saucing pudding

A roast

gaspodetwd, May 31, 7:04am
Miss 11 makes a lovely stuffed chicken breast wrapped in bacon.
Plus pizza, lasagne, cakes and cupcakes, omelette.

I don't think it matters which dishes they can make - it's more that they have good knife skills, understand proper nutrition and proper hygiene!

dinx, May 31, 7:08am
DD did this one in Y9 class, we modified a bit so crushed ginger/garlic, added carrots etc. Its a good website too.
http://www.jamieshomecookingskills.com/recipe.php?title=chicken-noodle-stir-fry-1

Bacon & Egg pie, gourmet burgers, and her own recipes book or card file to keep them all in too.

melp6, May 31, 7:13am
Timing too-it's no good putting the potatoes on if the chicken has just gone in the oven

cgvl, May 31, 7:42am
show her how to make dumplings for a stew.
I started off with the baking, then progressed to family meals by the time I was 13 I was confident cooking for the family without supervision. All 3 of my brothers are also good cooks as they learnt as well.

gaspodetwd, May 31, 8:03am
Oh - I think there is an art to leftovers too! My children know I make soup from leftovers - or pie filling or gourmet sandwiches. Not something I was taught at school but I think these days it's very important!

lythande1, May 31, 7:23pm
I gave my son 2 rules:
he was to cook dinner once a week.
He could cook anything he liked but he could not make the same meal twice.
He complained heaps at first but after a year of doing that, he decided he was better at some things than me and years later is an accomplished cook now - he nearly became a chef.

He could go through all my cookbooks etc. look things up, whatever.
But a different meal - it made him learn to cook properly. some things initially didn't work too well, but most did, and he learned fast.

pengy2, May 31, 8:39pm
macaroni cheese, apple crumble, self saucing puddings, fritters, biscuits, cakes, quiche, muffins, baked potatoes (stuffed), spag bol, nacho's, salads, pies with bought pastry to start.

whitehead., Jun 1, 12:34am
scones and pikelets are both easy pan cakes

buzzy110, Jun 1, 4:09am
Vegetables, vegetables, vegetables. As many ways as you know to cook vegetables. Davidt4 posted a fabulous eggplant and leek roasted vegetable dish in another post. That would be a wonderful recipe to start with.

hezwez, Jun 1, 4:13am
Here is Davidt4's recipe (prob not the one Buzzy is referring to)
Leek & Eggplant with currants and olives
1 large leek (or 2 small) thickly sliced, green parts as well as white
1 large eggplant in2 - 3 cm chunks, skin on
125 ml good quality extra virgin olive oil
1/2 c currants
1/2 c black olives
salt and pepper
parsley to serve
Combine all ingredients except parsley in a large wide pan, cover and cook over a low heat for about an hour or until vegetables are very tender. Check liquid occasionally and add a little water if necessary. The mixture when cooked should be luscious but not too wet. Add chopped parsley just before serving.

suzannelg, Jun 1, 4:14am
Definitely a sponge and a cake that they would be proud to share with friends or family.
If they have a favourite recipe, then I'd definitely teach them to make that too.
I'd also make sure they know how to prepare veggies.

davidt4, Jun 1, 4:22am
I agree. Timing of a full meal including hot vegetables is the hardest thing to get right, and a traditional roast dinner is a good way to learn.

chrise73, Jun 1, 4:52am
Have you guys seen Masterchef Junior? Is that show for real? The kids seem like 8 going on 38.

vonkrum, Jun 2, 11:00pm
lasagne, meatloaf, spaghetti bolognaise, a good roast (chicken or other), A bechamel sauce.

westward1, Jun 2, 11:10pm
Thank god I encouraged our son to cook, because he has to cook every night because the wife can't be bothered.

arielbooks, Jun 3, 12:53am
The first "recipe" dinner I taught mine was spaghetti carbonara. She had already done meat and three veg type dishes but wasn't confident so I wanted to show her something simple and exotic.

lidbud, Jun 3, 1:46am
Scones, pancakes, shepherd's pie, bacon and egg pie, spaghetti and meatballs, stuffed potatoes.

mjhdeal, Jun 3, 4:04am
How about a vegetable challenge - choose a vegetable and make some thing exciting with it. Extra points (?) if the vegetable is in season/makes up the main part of the meal.

Jamie Oliver has a great website for newbie cooks (and not so newbie, I've learned a few things I didn't know, and made some of the recipes):

Featured skills: http://www.jamieshomecookingskills.com/skills.php Basic recipes: http://www.jamieshomecookingskills.com/recipe-categories.php

buzzy110, Jun 5, 10:58pm
Yes. That is it. Thank you for finding it and posting it here.

buzzy110, Jun 5, 11:00pm
How to make a really great garden salad is also a skill that I find sadly lacking these days.

buzzy110, Jun 5, 11:01pm
What a great idea.