Any Italians around? Caponata di Melanzane recipe

bella430, Mar 17, 9:59am
per favore. I tasted this in south of Italy as a hot vege dish and also as antipasto (cold). It was sensational. I would love to try making it while eggplants still around.

elliehen, Mar 17, 10:09am
While you're waiting you could watch this YouTube demonstration ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=e5ZBnTRHUkI

245sam, Mar 17, 10:12am
bella430, there's not a drop of Italian blood in me but I have found a recipe for you at:-

http://blog.giallozafferano.it/maniamore/la-caponata-di-melanzane/

That link will take you directly to the recipe which is in Italian however I did find an option there to have the recipe translated into English but maybe you don't need that option!

Hope that helps.:-))

davidt4, Mar 20, 5:18am
Here is the recipe that I use.It's important to have top quality green olives.

Caponata

2 large eggplants in 1 cm cubes
4 sticks celery, destringed, in 5 cm pieces
250 ml extra virgin olive oil (Pam’s is fine)
4 red capsicums, diced 1 cm
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 anchovy fillets
3 tab tomato paste
2 tab capers, drained
100g green olives, flesh cut off stones
2 tab currants
150 ml white wine vinegar
2 tab sugar
salt
pepper
mint or toasted almonds to serve

Salt eggplant generously and leave to drain for an hour, rinse well and pat dry.

Boil celery in salted water for ten minutes, drain and pat dry.

In large wide pan heat 100 ml oil, over med. heat sauté celery 5 min until slightly browned in patches.Remove with slotted spoon into a large bowl.

In same oil sauté capsicums over med. heat until they start to stfen, about 8 min.Remove with slotted spoon and add to celery.

Add 100 ml oil to pan, raise heat and fry eggplant until cooked through but not collapsing.Add to other veges.Lower heat.

Add remaining oil to pan and fry onion over med heat until golden (do not brown).Reduce heat to low, add anchovy and stir until it breaks down.Add tomato paste and stir 1 minute.
Raise heat, return all vegetables to the pan, add capers, olives, currants, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.Stir over high heat a few minutes until well combined and very glossy.

Keep in fridge at least 2 days before serving; it will keep for up to four weeks.Serve cool.

This makes a huge quantity - enough for about 12 servings.