Gooey Salted Caramel Slice

bridget107, Mar 15, 11:09pm

dibble35, Mar 16, 1:23am
I'm not even going to look at that, it sounds way to nice.

toadfish, Mar 16, 1:49am
Gooey Salted Caramel Slice

■250 grams butter, softened
■100 grams sugar
■100 grams cornflour
■50 grams icing sugar
■350 grams flour
■50 grams walnuts, chopped

Caramel
■1 can sweetened condensed milk
■2 tablespoons golden syrup
■150 grams butter
■1 1/4 teaspoons salt

Heat oven to 170 degrees and line a 20 x 30 slice tin with non-stick baking paper.
Cream butter and sugar, add cornflour, icing sugar and flour. Mix together until it forms a ball. Divide the mixture in half, use one half to press it into the tin and place the other half in the fridge.

Bake for 20 minutes until just starting to colour. Remove from the oven and cool.

Make the caramel by melting the butter, golden syrup and condensed milk in a pot until well blended. Make sure you keep stirring to avoid burning. Take off the element and cool – I placed the pot in the fridge for about 20 minutes to speed up the process.

Spread the caramel evenly over the cooled base. Sprinkle over the walnuts. Dice up the remaining dough and sprinkle evenly over the top. Return to the oven and bake for a further 20 minutes.

When cool, slice into squares and store in a biscuit tin. If it lasts that long. Let’s be honest.

gerry64, Mar 16, 3:02am
toadfish -thank goodness I havent got any sweetened condensed milk in the pantry my diet would be over before it has hardly started

donnabeth, Mar 16, 8:24pm
My family's favourite caramel slice has a shortcake vase made with only the yolks which means that for birthdays and special occasions caramel slice goes hand in hand with pavlova. I make the caramel just like this one minus the salt, but melt it in the microwave, Mmmm. think I'll create a special occasion today.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 16, 8:28pm
Caramel is good; salted even better. RIP caramel!

tinkyandted, Mar 16, 9:19pm
thanks toadfish
that's gone straight into my file - sounds divine !

kaylin, Mar 16, 9:35pm
file - great. hips - not so cutey cutey. lol (But I'm going to make it this arvo). If I swing my hips when i make it, it may not stick.

mydebe, Mar 16, 10:09pm
I'm assuming the salt just goes in at the end of the caramel making step!

bridget107, Mar 17, 1:02am
Yes, you're correct :-) the salt gets added to the caramel after it has been made and cooled down for a bit.

ansypansy1, Mar 17, 7:18am
OMG. I swore I wouldn't come into this thread, the temptation would be too great, and what do I find when I DO come here, THIS recipe. Oooohhh

bridget107, Mar 17, 11:11pm
Just make it once :-)

bridget107, Mar 18, 11:52pm
Also if you or your family/friends/workmates don't like nuts - dark chocolate makes a great alternative :-)