Good egg plant receipes

pigletnz25, Mar 1, 7:20pm
please does anyone have nice EASY eggplant receipes, they are only 99cents in Countdown this week and looked lovely, however I've avoided them in the past as not sure how to cook them.I don't want fussy difficult receipes, just something tasty and easy please and many thanks.I know there are wonderful cooks out there.

pickles7, Mar 1, 7:43pm

pigletnz25, Mar 1, 7:55pm
Thanks for the link, I'll havealook, but would loved some tried and tested receipes from people in here who have made them and know they are yummy and easy to make.

pickles7, Mar 1, 7:58pm
I have made that particular recipe and it is yummmy. I trust that site as being tried and tested, not had a fail from there yet.

penguinpunk, Mar 1, 8:12pm
I just made eggplant and tomato bake. it was a jamie oliver recipe, i used normal cheese instead of parmesan.it was soooo good

pigletnz25, Mar 1, 8:16pm
Oh thats great, I love that you have made it and found it yummy and good to have another site that has good recommendations

pigletnz25, Mar 1, 8:21pm
pickles7 do you think that receipe will work just as well with ordinary eggplants, it says asian but i have the ordinary, it looks yummy and hubby would love thos flavours.

pickles7, Mar 1, 8:47pm
I did not find any difference, I cut them into thick slices. The Asian eggplants are not easy to find.

ruby19, Mar 2, 8:32pm
Aubergine Timbales by Gordon Ramsey, Yum.( Thats the dish not gordon!)

olive oil , for frying
2 large aubergines , thinly sliced
1 red pepper , deseeded and finely chopped
1 large courgette , yellow or green (or 1 small one of each colour), ends trimmed and finely chopped
6 shallots , halved and thinly sliced
2 fat garlic cloves , chopped
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
6 large vine-ripened tomatoes , quartered
2 tbsp stoned black olives
1 tbsp capers
25g bunch basil , leaves only, shredded
80g vegetarian parmesan-style cheese , 25g grated, the rest in shavings
300g goat's cheese log (chèvre), sliced into 12 (I used feta)

200g baby leaf spinach
6tbsp vinaigrette
50g pine nuts , toasted

Put oil in a large frying pan to cover the base, and heat. Fry the aubergine until softened, 2-3 mins . Season, then drain on paper towel. You may have to do this in batches.
For the filling, add 2-3 tbsp oil to the pan and fry the pepper, courgette, shallots and garlic over a high heat until they have a good colour, 3-5 mins. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and cook until evaporated. Add the tomatoes and season, then cook for 3 more mins stirring occasionally until the mixture is softened, but not too saucy. Remove from the heat, then mix in the olives, capers, half the shredded basil and the grated parmesan. Set aside to cool.
Grease the moulds and line the bases with aubergine slices to fit. Top with veg mixture, more aubergine slices (cut to fit if needed) and a slices of cheese. Repeat the layers, finishing with aubergine. Press lightly to firm. Can be covered with cling film and chilled for up to 1 day.
To cook and serve: heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Chilled cups will need to come to room temperature first. Place the cups on a tray, uncovered, and bake for 12-15 mins until bubbling. Allow to stand for 10 mins while you toss the spinach and remaining basil with vinaigrette and seasoning and divide between six dinner plates. Scatter over the nuts.
Loosen the tops of the timbales with a table knife and up-end into the centre of the salad on the plates, shaking the cups to help demould. Top with the parmesan shavings and serve.

ruby19, Mar 2, 8:37pm
Really nice salad, used sour cream & mint for the sauce as I had no yogurt.

Grilled aubergines with spicy chickpeas & walnut sauce
4 tbsp olive oil
1 onion , finely chopped
1 red chilli , deseeded and finely chopped
2cm piece ginger , finely chopped
½ tsp each ground cumin , coriander and cinnamon
400g can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
200g tomatoes , chopped
juice ½ lemon
2 aubergines , sliced lengthways

Walnut Sauce
200g tub Greek-style yogurt
1 garlic clove , crushed
25g walnuts , chopped
handful coriander leaves, roughly chopped
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add the onion and fry until soft and lightly browned, about 10 mins. Add the chilli, ginger and spices and mix well. Stir in the chickpeas, tomatoes and 5 tbsp water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins. Add a little salt and pepper and the lemon juice.
Arrange the aubergines over a grill pan. Brush lightly with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then grill until golden. Flip them over, brush again with oil, season and grill again until tender and golden.
Mix the yogurt with the garlic, most of the walnuts and coriander and a little salt and pepper. Arrange the aubergine slices over a warm platter and spoon over the chickpea mix. Drizzle with the walnut sauce and scatter with the remaining walnuts and coriander.

sarahb5, Mar 2, 10:45pm
Ratatouille or moussaka would be my choices but I am also planning on just grilling some thick slices on the BBQ tonight to go with my steak instead of the corn the rest of the family are having.

pigletnz25, Mar 2, 10:52pm
Thanks for all the idea, has anyone stuffed them with a something or mince before, I read somewhere this is a good way to do them. I'm such a noivce when it comes to these.I've had moussaka before and loved it, but it looked abit of a mission to make.

davidt4, Mar 2, 11:08pm
Eggplant stuffed with mozzarella and anchovy (Involtini di Melazane)

serves 6

3 firm eggplants
olive oil for frying
2 large fresh mozzarella balls
20 anchovy fillets, drained
basil leaves
salt and pepper

Heat oil in large pan to shallow fry eggplants.

Slice eggplants lengthwise about 5mm thick - about 20 good sized slices in total.Fry until golden, drain on paper.

Heat oven to 220C

Cut mozzarella balls into 20 pieces in total.

Roll eggplant slices with mozzarella, anchovy and a basil leaf, secure with toothpicks.

Arrange in an ovenproof dish in one layer, bake 10 min until the mozzarella starts to melt.

sarahb5, Mar 2, 11:46pm
Imam bayildi - I think it's Turkish originally but my dad used to make this - I found this recipe:

http://theshiksa.com/2012/03/26/imam-bayildi-roasted-stuffed-eggplant/